ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2023, 04:20 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Doyel: Quitting, choking, cowardly Colts can't go away fast enough

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...s/69756806007/

Quote:

Colts quarterback Nick Foles is lying on the field at MetLife Stadium, convulsing in pain. Next to him is New York Giants defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux, who put Foles there. Thibodeaux is also lying there, so close he can touch Foles, making snow angels on the turf. Matter of fact, Thibodeaux’s hand grazes Foles’ leg as he makes another snow angel. It would almost look choreographed, if it weren’t so disgusting.

Thibodeaux’s teammates ignore him as he celebrates while the human being he injured writhes in pain inches away. That’s a lack of class, but whatever. That’s on the Giants.

Foles’ teammates ignore Thibodeaux, too. That’s a lack of … everything. No pride, no honor, no courage, no concern, no nothing.

That play, that right there, is the 2022 Indianapolis Colts. They are nothing. They are going nowhere. They are one of the worst teams in the NFL – bad roster, bad coaching, bad interim coaching, bad scouting – and will go into the season finale with a 4-11-1 record after losing 38-10 to New York, their sixth consecutive loss.

We’d seen ugly before, obviously. We saw the Colts quit in Dallas, a close game getting away and then this prideless roster just giving up as Dallas outscored Indianapolis 33-0 in the fourth quarter. We saw them choke the next week, surrendering the biggest comeback in NFL history as a 33-0 lead became a 39-36 loss. We saw them roll over and play dead last week at home, losing 21-3 to Los Angeles. The Chargers clinched their spot in the 2022 NFL playoffs at Lucas Oil Stadium. At least somebody is.

Those were the three games leading to Sunday in New York.

Now we see the results of all this quitting, choking, losing: Their quarterback shivering in agony, left hand on his ribs as his right hand flails aimlessly in the air from sheer pain, while the player who put Foles there celebrates for an uncomfortably long time – Thibodeaux was making an army of snow angels – and is allowed to do it.

The 2022 Indianapolis Colts are revolting.

Like, where was left guard Quenton Nelson?

He’s the tough guy who used to show up whenever a teammate was in danger. Remember when he was The Bodyguard? Not anymore. He’s not the player he used to be, either. Nelson was voted into the 2022 Pro Bowl as a reputation pick, not because he’s done anything this season to deserve it. A few snaps later, Nelson was beaten so badly by Giants defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence – a legit Pro Bowler – that everyone went down in a pile together: Nelson, Lawrence and sacked Sam Ehlinger, the backup quarterback pressed into action by Foles’ injury.

Like, where was Bernhard Raimann? He’s the left tackle who allowed Thibodeaux to maul Foles on that awful play. Notice I didn’t say he let Thibodeaux “beat him” on the play. Thibodeaux didn’t beat Raimann, because Raimann ignored him. Raimann let him go, choosing instead to pickup blitzing safety Landon Collins, giving Thibodeaux – the No. 5 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft – a free shot at his quarterback.

Like, where was Deon Jackson? He was the running back on the play, lined up to Foles’ left, behind Raimann. As Collins was blitzing and Thibodeaux was running free and a third New York defender – cornerback Nick McCloud – was blitzing free behind Thibodeaux, Jackson was running into the flat to catch a pass that was never, ever going to be thrown.

Who’s coaching these people, anyway? Jeff Saturday, the interim coach, is a former Pro Bowl center, a member of the Colts’ Ring of Ho-or, a word I refuse to spell out in the same sentence with “Colts.” Before agreeing to stick a knife in Frank Reich’s back after the ninth game – Irsay has said on the record that he fired Reich only because Saturday agreed to replace him: “If (Saturday) says no,” he said Nov. 8, “we’re not here today” – Saturday had been Jim Irsay’s paid consultant, giving Irsay expert analysis on the offensive line. Does he just not pay attention to the line anymore?

Pass-rushers have been running free into the Colts’ backfield all season; that free shot at the QB isn’t limited to Sunday. Hell, it wasn’t limited to that play. Literally three snaps after Raimann and Co. gave Thibodeaux a free shot at their quarterback, right tackle Braden Smith and Co. did it again. Now lined up over Smith, Thibodeaux took aim on Ehlinger as Smith looked for a defensive back to block. Ehlinger unloaded the pass before being buried, throwing it right into Thibodeaux’s chest, shocking him into dropping what would’ve been an easy pick-six.

The Colts have the highest-paid offensive line in the NFL – true story – and are 31st in sacks allowed while creating less running room for defending NFL rushing champion Jonathan Taylor, who went from averaging 5.5 yards per carry last season to 4.5 this season. On a bad team with bad position groups almost across the board, on a staff that has already fired the head coach (Reich) and offensive coordinator (Marcus Brady), the coach of the worst unit on the team, OL coach Chris Strausser, still here.

Who’s advising Irsay now, anyway? Is it still Jeff Saturday? Is that why Irsay told ESPN’s Monday Night Countdown last week that Saturday (record: 1-6) “is an outstanding candidate” for the permanent position in 2023?

One week after the Los Angeles Chargers clinched a playoff spot with a blowout of the Colts, the Giants clinched a playoff spot with a blowout of the Colts. The Colts aren't an NFL team. They're a homecoming opponent.

Remember when the Colts had that great culture? A bunch of classy, tough, good guys in the locker room. Professionals, you’d call them.

The culture is gone. The Colts remain classy in the community, which is nice, and they’re full of nice guys in the locker room, which doesn’t really matter. But tough? Study Nick Foles’ X-ray before you answer that question. And oh my to be a bug on the wall when Foles watches the replay of his brutal injury, and the celebration happening next to him, while his teammates ignore all of it.
Sorry about all the scrolling
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-02-2023), Brylok (01-03-2023), omahacolt (01-02-2023), Spike (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 04:30 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
This team is made up of a bunch of pussies. Coaches suck, O-line are gutless pansies, sick of Nelson and Kelly. Nelson is a pro-bowler, what a joke.

That was such a sickening sight watching Foles in pain, while that classless bastard was doing snow angels right next to him. I will always be a Colts fan, but this team as constructed is hard to root for. Soft asses.
apballin (01-02-2023), Brylok (01-03-2023), CletusPyle (01-02-2023), Dewey 5 (01-02-2023), IndyNorm (01-02-2023), JAFF (01-02-2023), nate505 (01-02-2023), omahacolt (01-02-2023), YDFL Commish (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Whatever happened to the Green Beret that did the psych evals on players before the Colts drafted them? He should be way the fuck up on the list of people to be fired. Team is a complete and utter shit show. Team is filled with me first prima donnas. That was evident last season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
nate505 (01-02-2023), Oldcolt (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 05:15 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

It’s a legitimate question as to why Strausser still has a job.

Highest paid unit in the league and also the worst.

It’s inexplicable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-02-2023), ChoppedWood (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 05:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Wow, its almost like they fired their head coach and offensive coordinator and promoted some inexperienced guy to run the offense.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:38 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Whatever happened to the Green Beret that did the psych evals on players before the Colts drafted them? He should be way the fuck up on the list of people to be fired. Team is a complete and utter shit show. Team is filled with me first prima donnas. That was evident last season.
What happened to the group, happened after they arrived.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:45 PM

Thanked 4,294 Times in 1,758 Posts

no leaders

nelson doesn't run plays down to help guys up anymore. not much fire left in that dude.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-02-2023), Brylok (01-03-2023), ChoppedWood (01-02-2023), Dewey 5 (01-03-2023), IndyNorm (01-02-2023), JAFF (01-02-2023), Spike (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 06:20 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

TBH, I think that Castonzo ran the OL room and his departure is the reason the OL has regressed.

Which also leads me to believe that yes, Strouser sucks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (01-02-2023), CletusPyle (01-02-2023), Mr. Session (01-04-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 06:24 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

Foles’ teammates ignore Thibodeaux, too. That’s a lack of … everything. No pride, no honor, no courage, no concern, no nothing.

I mean, I find it hard to argue with that. It appears Saturday noticed it too.

"Disappointed from the O-line perspective and teammates in general," said Saturday, a former Colts Pro Bowl center. "We protect our own. Y'all know me. I've been here a long time. I'm just going to tread lightly. Obviously, I didn't like it at all. That's where I'll leave it."
Spike (01-02-2023), YDFL Commish (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 06:26 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
This team is made up of a bunch of pussies. Coaches suck, O-line are gutless pansies, sick of Nelson and Kelly. Nelson is a pro-bowler, what a joke.
I had no idea he was until I read this.

This is legit stunning to me, and ultimate proof the Pro Bowl means nothing (as if there were any doubt before this).
CletusPyle (01-02-2023), Spike (01-02-2023)