ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-10-2022, 10:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Legendary former Colts executive defends Jeff Saturday hire

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...3f5ff89d09ae39

Hall of Fame general manager Bill Polian, who ran the Colts from 1998 to 2011, wrote for 33rd Team that Saturday has long been seen as a potential head coach, turned down a staff role before and had been working as a paid consultant for the team. While Polian acknowledges the lack of NFL experience, he clearly believes Saturday has done enough to at least hold his own.

Related video: Colts Give Peculiar Press Conference Following Jeff Saturday Hiring

“During this season, starting with minicamp, Jeff served as a paid consultant to the coaching staff,” Polian wrote. “He broke down film, evaluated players and schemes and made game plan suggestions. He spoke to the team as a group and offered guidance to individual players. In short, he is not a stranger but a respected member of the organization.

Shop black waterproof shoes - Amazon.com® Official Site
Ad
amazon.com
Shop black waterproof shoes - Amazon.com® Official Site
“To those inside the building, Frank Reich and myself included, Jeff’s character, intelligence, leadership skills, football acumen and work ethic tabbed him as head-coaching material as far back as his playing days. His appointment as interim head coach may have come as a shock to outsiders but not to those inside the Colts’ football operations. Will Jeff succeed? It’s a tall order, and only time will tell. Knowing him as I do, I wouldn’t bet against him.”

Few would question Saturday’s leadership capabilities from his playing days and he certainly knows the sport. There is a big gap between knowing the league, however, and being able to coach in it.

One thing is clear: those who know Saturday well are much higher on the decision than the general public is. Perhaps they will end up right, but it would certainly defy convention for it to work.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-10-2022), njcoltfan (11-11-2022), Oldcolt (11-11-2022), Racehorse (11-11-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 10:24 PM
Post whore

Just found this, putting it here seemed easier

https://clutchpoints.com/were-unders...’s%20be%20real.

Indianapolis Colts interim head coach Jeff Saturday will have his hands full on Sunday when he coaches his first football game above the high school level. After replacing Frank Reich as the coach of the Colts, Saturday got brutally honest on the situation he inherited ahead of his head coaching debut in Week 10 vs. the Las Vegas Raiders. With so much shuffling going on within the Colts’ coaching staff, Saturday admitted that the team is entering Week 10 understaffed, via Charlie Clifford.

1 second, of 15 seconds,
This ad will end in 12

“We’re understaffed. Let’s be real. The two guys that called our plays, the OC, the OC and the Head (Coach), all gone,” said Saturday. “That’s a big deal. I hope people understand the weight of what that is. Now you’ve reduced the people and increased the workload and you bring a guy in that is not familiar with all the stuff that goes into real ball so I’m playing catch-up at the same time. It’s a tall task ahead but we’re going to put this thing together step by step.”

Saturday will be the first to admit that this is a monumental task ahead of him, and he hasn’t shied away from the scrutiny he’s faced due to his lack of experience. Saturday was handed an amazing coaching opportunity, and he plans to run with it to the best of his ability.

RECOMMENDED

Indianapolis Colts, Colts Week 10, Colts Week 10 predictions, Las Vegas Raiders, Colts Raiders
Indianapolis Colts: 4 bold predictions for Week 10 vs. Raiders
Tim Crean · 5 hours ago

Las Vegas Raiders, Blake Martinez, Blake Martinez retirement, Indianapolis Colts
Las Vegas’ woes get worse after sudden retirement of key starter
Alex Sabri · 5 hours ago

Jeff Saturday, Colts
‘I have no fear’: Colts coach Jeff Saturday fires stern message at his doubters
Jedd Pagaduan · 19 hours ago
That said, he’s fully aware that, particularly in Week 10, things will be difficult. With Sam Ehlinger under center, the Colts QB will be playing under his third offensive coordinator in as many weeks. Additionally, the inexperienced quarterback will have an inexperienced play caller and head coach working with him, so things could get messy on offense for Indy.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:38 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Anything for attention these days
Old 11-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
Anything for attention these days
You mean the from the hall of fame executive who brought the Colts a Super Bowl with several HOF players?
Old 11-11-2022, 02:14 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
You mean the from the hall of fame executive who brought the Colts a Super Bowl with several HOF players?
I do, yes. Who cares?
Old 11-11-2022, 03:45 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,664 Times in 2,049 Posts

Everybody circling the wagons and opinions coming from every direction. See Joe Thomas weighed in.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/f...-head-coaches/

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/stat...ead-coaches%2F
Old 11-11-2022, 05:55 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

As I said on another thread, this man is full of shit. He finds this shockingly deplorable? This is more egregious than giving millions to a prick like Watson? Or how about CTE? All this crap from talking heads makes me like the move more and more. Irsay may be a nutcase but I'm starting to love being on this ride with him. The idea that he should hire from within the very same culture that he is trying to change always seemed nuts so he went outside. Good for him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (11-11-2022), nate505 (11-11-2022), Racehorse (11-12-2022), YDFL Commish (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 07:13 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
As I said on another thread, this man is full of shit. He finds this shockingly deplorable? This is more egregious than giving millions to a prick like Watson? Or how about CTE? All this crap from talking heads makes me like the move more and more. Irsay may be a nutcase but I'm starting to love being on this ride with him. The idea that he should hire from within the very same culture that he is trying to change always seemed nuts so he went outside. Good for him.

Same here. Irsay's outside the norm thinking and actions pisses of the NFL old guard and the media.

Good for him!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (11-11-2022), Racehorse (11-12-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 07:16 PM

Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Everybody circling the wagons and opinions coming from every direction. See Joe Thomas weighed in.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/f...-head-coaches/

https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/stat...ead-coaches%2F
Look at all the qualifed coaches s the Browns have hired. It's worked out really well for them
Oldcolt (11-11-2022), Racehorse (11-12-2022), YDFL Commish (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 08:41 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

As I said on another thread, this man is full of shit. He finds this shockingly deplorable ?? This is more egregious than giving millions to a prick like Watson ??? Or how about CTE ?? All this crap from talking heads makes me like the move more and more. l Irsay may be a nutcase, l but I'm starting to love being on this ride with him. The idea that he should hire from within the very same culture that he is trying to change always seemed nuts, so he went outside ...... good for him.

o

He's l OUR l nutcase.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck