ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-05-2023, 10:12 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Colts defensive coordinator Gus Bradley wants another year

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...y/69782713007/

INDIANAPOLIS — Colts defensive coordinator Gus Bradley has been through this too many times recently.

Two seasons in a row, Bradley’s done a commendable job coordinating his defense as the rest of the team has collapsed around him.

Three years in a row, the head coach who hired him has been fired, leaving Bradley’s offseason, and his next destination, uncertain.

Colts assistant coach and former Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley enters the field ahead of Sunday's Jaguars vs Colts matchup. The Jaguars went into the first half with a 17 to 0 lead over the Colts. The Jacksonville Jaguars hosted the Indianapolis Colts at TIAA Bank field in Jacksonville, FL Sunday, September 18, 2022. [Bob Self/Florida Times-Union]

Jki 091822 Bs Jaguars Vs C 26
Reggie Wayne:'If I'm allowed, I'll be back' as Colts WR's coach despite beach's pull

“This league presents uncertainty,” Bradley said. “But yeah, you’d like to say, ‘All right, we just built something, now let’s take the next step.'”

Bradley and the rest of the defensive coaching staff — a staff he mostly hand-picked with guys who have been with him for years — have mostly been left to their own devices this season, and the results have been solid, albeit dragged down by the worst offense in the NFL and a team that has capitulated to its fate in the final month of the season.

Indianapolis has recorded more sacks (43) than any Colts team since 2005, ranks sixth in the league in sacks per attempt (8.7%), 11th in the NFL in yards allowed per play (5.2), 10th in the NFL on third down (38.1%) and held six of the first 10 opponents to 20 points or less.

Bradley wanted his Colts defense to be fast, physical and get the ball out, and aside from the team’s lack of takeaways — a number impacted by the absence of All-Pro linebacker Shaquille Leonard — the Indianapolis defense lived up to its new coordinator’s expectations.

The Colts coaching staff has built such a bond with the players that they haven’t been able to help but think of what the future could hold.

“There’s things that we’ve learned about this unit, what works well and our skill set, and where our players are, so we’ve had conversations as a defensive staff about: 'Boy, really now, if we take this out and add this in, in the offseason, I think it will help this group take another step,'” Bradley said. “You’d like to, for their sake, have something where you can add onto what you’ve done.”

Bradley knows the reality of the situation.

Knows it all too well.

At this time last year, Bradley and Raiders interim coach Rich Bisaccia were putting the finishing touches on a four-game winning streak that improbably sent Las Vegas into the playoffs. Few interim coaches have ever made such a good

But Raiders owner Mark Davis hired Josh McDaniels, and despite a groundswell of support from Las Vegas fans to retain Bradley as coordinator, McDaniels hired Patrick Graham, freeing up Bradley to make the move to Indianapolis.

Whatever plans Bradley and the staff might have for the defense will have to wait until the Colts have a new head coach, and it’s likely that those plans never come to fruition.

“That’s not always how the league works,” Bradley said.

The uncertainty, the whiplash nature of this Colts season, has taken a toll on the team’s entire locker room.

Including the defense, even though the Colts stuck with the same defensive staff through all of the changes.

“For them to keep their focus on what we need to do right and get better, it’s been amazing,” Bradley said. “I’d been through it a little bit with the Raiders last year, but this year, I think it’s been amplified. There’s even more distractions that I think they go through.”

Bradley has a lot of respect for the Colts’ defensive players.

And even though the season is about to end, bringing with it even more uncertainty than Indianapolis faced during the regular season, Bradley offered his charges a story from his childhood that he’s long used to guide him during periods of uncertainty.

When Bradley was little, his mom used to tell him the same thing every morning.

“Gus, Gus, wake up,” Bradley’s mom would say. “Something good’s about to happen.”

Bradley believes the foundation is there for the Colts defense to make something happen next season.

Whether he’s in Indianapolis to lead them almost certainly won’t be his call, but he’s taken a lot away from his first time in a Colts uniform.

“I really enjoyed my time here,” Bradley said. “It’s been an unbelievable experience with our players.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-06-2023), Ironshaft (01-06-2023), Racehorse (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 12:03 PM

I like him and the defense he has built.

I say again, we are not that far away from being a competitive team.

MUST HAVES:
- NFL caliber QB who is above average to good
- Improved Offensive Line play

NICE TO HAVES:
- Improved receiving talent (which may be achieved just through maturity and having a new QB who can throw receivers open)
- Better talent and depth at Cornerback

I think all of those improvements are, potentially, achievable in one or two off-seasons.

Total rebuild not required. Finding a FRANCHISE QB is required, however. Until that happens....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (01-06-2023), Racehorse (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 01:33 PM

Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,216 Posts

Reggie wants back as well. Watch Reggie's presser and he seems to indicate that he knows what the Colts problems, but wouldn't say because he didn't wanna piss anybody off.

I'm guessing that there are some offensive coaches that he's not happy with.

You can watch it in the video section of Colts.com.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
JAFF (01-06-2023), Racehorse (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 02:45 PM

Thanked 1,667 Times in 797 Posts

Yea I'm fine with it, the only concern for the defense is lack of turnovers, and maybe the hopeful return of Leonard will address that. But maybe we could have another ball hawk in the secondary.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:11 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,681 Times in 2,057 Posts

I would like another year with Gus
Old 01-07-2023, 06:57 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

No issues with Gus at all. If the offense could have played half as good as the defense this year, the Colts would be in the playoffs. Hell, maybe a sixteenth as good.
Racehorse (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 09:17 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

I assume the new HC will bring his own staff and all of our current coaches will be gone. Unless, of course, Irsay meddles or hires Jeff Saturday. Then anything could be on the table.