ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 02:23 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

UT is ok. I'm not sold totally on the Autry/Lewis prototype,and I wonder how much time each will spend at DE. But they're ok. NT is a pretty big need IMO. Stewart isn't that good. Hunt does well but not as an every down player.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:57 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
UT is ok. I'm not sold totally on the Autry/Lewis prototype,and I wonder how much time each will spend at DE. But they're ok. NT is a pretty big need IMO. Stewart isn't that good. Hunt does well but not as an every down player.
I agree with this to an extent, but I also don't think it's very hard to address. Bring in an Al Woods as a rotational piece to soak up some blocks on running downs. Those aren't hard to find, especially when you have a bajillion dollars in cap space. To me, that was always a "wait until after the draft" position to address.

I think people might be getting a little hung up on the DT position as it compares with the Dungy-era Colts. But there's a huge difference vs those teams: the DEs can (and are asked to) play much more disciplined vs the run. Ballard has emphasized DEs that are bigger and who set a better EDGE in the run game, which doesn't put the full onus on the DTs.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:30 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

The biggest help will be the speed and length

This draft will help one other place that hasn't been discussed much yet. I think all of this extra speed and athletic ability will be featured on special teams. I expect to see some improvement on the Colts kick-off and punt coverage teams. Maybe not at the beginning of the year. But as the season progresses, I expect to see some improvement. The first significant amount of reps for some of these guys will be on special teams.

And hopefully there is a returner within the draft class or UDFA's. I am sure they will give plenty of people a shot during training camp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (04-30-2019), VeveJones007 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 04:56 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
This draft will help one other place that hasn't been discussed much yet. I think all of this extra speed and athletic ability will be featured on special teams. I expect to see some improvement on the Colts kick-off and punt coverage teams. Maybe not at the beginning of the year. But as the season progresses, I expect to see some improvement. The first significant amount of reps for some of these guys will be on special teams.

And hopefully there is a returner within the draft class or UDFA's. I am sure they will give plenty of people a shot during training camp.
Pretty sure either Campbell or Hart won't have much of a problem beating out Rogers.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:11 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Campbell seems pretty good at returns.