ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
You know damn well the minute a coach says the team sucks because the GM hasn’t solved QB, or LT, or WR, or DE he’s fired. It’s interesting to discover Ballard has no philosophy of his own - the build completely through the draft mantra was all Reich right?

Ballard is fucking Teflon, now he works for the fucking coach, and makes no decisions. Unfucking real.
Surely, it’s dawned on you that the only reason that Ballard signed Ryan was because Reich “watched ever throw by Ryan in 2021,” and didn’t see any decline?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-01-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
There is plenty of evidence that Ballard has a team building philosophy - we’ve heard him share it consistently. And the team has largely been built that way. LT last year was handled 100% consistently with that philosophy and with what we’ve seen at other positions - a low level place holder on a minor contract and then a rookie that’s expected to take over. Yet it is repeatedly painted as if that was Reich’s choice. If it was, then yes he deserved to be fired. However in is consistent with what we’ve seen from Ballard and his stated building method.

Yes it is and should be a collaborative effort between coach and GM. Traits and skills at certain positions should largely be dictated by what the coaches want. Straight lining contracts and avoiding free agency is not. And passing off the frustration of Ballard’s slow roll on Reich as Chrome is doing is completely disingenuous.
The problem that Ballard, or any GM, has is that it’s almost impossible to find a bookend LT in free agency. Teams just don’t let those guys walk. He probably should have taken Darrisaw in the 1st round of 2031, but Darrisaw fell to the bottom third of the draft based on doubts about his dedication and desire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 07:58 PM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
With Pierce, Campbell, and Pittman, Ballard has assembled a very nice group of Receivers. The problem was an Offensive Line that couldn’t provide time for routes to develop and a Quarterback whose best years were years ago.

As far as LT is concerned, Ballards initial move, to sign an all pro talent who was coming off a non career threatening injury, was sound. When Fisher didn’t work out, he drafted Raimann and signed Pryor as a stopgap. Judging by the skills Pryor demonstrated as a backup, it wasn’t unreasonable to think he’d be, at least, competent. He wasn’t, Raimann took over, and was playing reasonably well by week 18. In ways, his progress mirrored that of the Giant’s Andrew Thomas.
Finally someone who's not looking through a narrow lens.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Surely, it’s dawned on you that the only reason that Ballard signed Ryan was because Reich “watched ever throw by Ryan in 2021,” and didn’t see any decline?
I’m not sure what this means. I’ll state again - I haven’t really criticized Ballard for his decisions at QB. The team could have been competitive with Ryan and a top tier OL. I felt they should have drafted one earlier, but I understand going the vet route. What I don’t understand is going the vet route (especially with Rivers and Ryan) without pushing in on the rest of the roster. To me that’s fucking stupid and a waste.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
With Pierce, Campbell, and Pittman, Ballard has assembled a very nice group of Receivers. The problem was an Offensive Line that couldn’t provide time for routes to develop and a Quarterback whose best years were years ago.

As far as LT is concerned, Ballards initial move, to sign an all pro talent who was coming off a non career threatening injury, was sound. When Fisher didn’t work out, he drafted Raimann and signed Pryor as a stopgap. Judging by the skills Pryor demonstrated as a backup, it wasn’t unreasonable to think he’d be, at least, competent. He wasn’t, Raimann took over, and was playing reasonably well by week 18. In ways, his progress mirrored that of the Giant’s Andrew Thomas.
There is little question that Ballard will EVENTUALLY fill a hole - when he gets around to drafting enough people.

You guys can continue to defend every move he makes. In 6 years Ballard is 45-52-1. His teams have made the playoffs twice, winning a single playoff game. And he has never won a bad AFC South division. But keep telling me how great a GM he is. So good he can’t even be questioned.

When are we hoping for that elusive second playoff win? Year 8? 9 maybe? Maybe a division title by year 10? I’m serious, please someone give me some fucking expectations. Because in year fucking two when I said his methods would lead to mediocrity all of the same people said I was nuts and defended the methods. Here we are drafting 4th after year 6 and you guys are saying the same shit. Please one of you give me some god damn expectations of when Ballard runs out of excuses and is expected to win. After 6 years this is 100% his team. Well, unless you believe Reich was calling all the shots I guess.

Last edited by rm1369; 02-27-2023 at 08:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 08:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Ballard has built the team exactly how he said he would. When I pointed out (several years ago) that in the modern NFL it is needlessly slow I was told I was nuts. Look back at the history and you certainly can’t say I was wrong. The Eagles won a SB, completely rebuilt the team (including changing QBs) and just played in another in the time that Ballard has done what? Slowly filled holes.

Fuck man I hope you are right that all he did was what Reich wanted. If true then I expect a completely different GM. But I don’t think you even really believe that. The team has been built by Ballard’s mold. I’m not sure how anyone can disagree. And I don’t even really knock the guy for QB. I knock him for never filling out the roster when he acquired the possible QB.
Bc the Eagles got lucky and found a QB that no one, not even them, thought would be anything better than a Taysom Hill type. They also build through the lines and spend a lot of capital on them. They have a stacked team. They actually have a very similar build theory to the Colts. Probably why they liked Steichen bc he comes from that theory. I think Reich liked it. Lots of teams have been crap during this period and have stayed crap. Broncos gave their left nut for a short QB who bombed spectacularly.

The past 2 out of 3 drafts the top pick has been a WR. The last 3 out of 4 they have used high picks on receivers. The team hasn’t been a disaster. They’ve been competitive and have battled for the division several times with no QB. Usually when you have no QB you’re the Texans. Even this year they could have easily had better record with some luck, likely would have if they hadn’t fired Reich. But Irsay wanted to break the cycle and now they are finally in position for a young QB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-01-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 08:37 PM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Well, unless you believe Reich was calling all the shots I guess.
No that is not how I think of Reich. I think of him as passive and letting others call the shots.
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
There is little question that Ballard will EVENTUALLY fill a hole - when he gets around to drafting enough people.

You guys can continue to defend every move he makes. In 6 years Ballard is 45-52-1. His teams have made the playoffs twice, winning a single playoff game. And he has never won a bad AFC South division. But keep telling me how great a GM he is. So good he can’t even be questioned.
Wtf are you talking about? People criticize him all the time. Every time I turn on the radio the 1070 guys are picking apart every single decision with hindsight. But they just do it bc they think he is snobby or some other personal bullshit they have with him. As if Polian wasn’t a flaming asshole. Grigson was a prick too, which hurts when you suck at your job as well.

A weird fanatical contingent on Twitter wants him fired and does nothing but talk about him even when the subject is something else. So much so I almost suspect they are hired trolls. The guy gets a little too much criticism lately imo bc not everything he does is bad. This is mostly a reversal from a few years ago when what you said above could be true, but not now. The guy gets a lot of flack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-01-2023)

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Ok, what did Reich want to do that Ballard didn’t do?
As rm pointed out it's impossible to answer this, but I'd be willing to bet that Reich would have much rather have had Fisher back at LT than that complete turd Pryor. The OL would have been better from the start and barring injury Raimann would have been given time to develop rather than be thrown to the wolves way too early.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 08:40 PM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Wtf are you talking about? People criticize him all the time. Every time I turn on the radio the 1070 guys are picking apart every single decision with hindsight. But they just do it bc they think he is snobby or some other personal bullshit they have with him. As if Polian wasn’t a flaming asshole. Grigson was a prick too, which hurts when you suck at your job as well.

A weird fanatical contingent on Twitter wants him fired and does nothing but talk about him even when the subject is something else. So much so I almost suspect they are hired trolls. The guy gets a little too much criticism lately imo bc not everything he does is bad. This is mostly a reversal from a few years ago when what you said above could be true, but not now. The guy gets a lot of flack.
As he should. He's the one who put together that dumpster fire shit storm of a team we had to watch this year.