ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
It was you saying 0-tech, which lines up between the A gaps, that I was referring to. Our nose plays mostly 1 tech, like you are saying, in the A gap.
I think I brought up the 0-tech stuff too. But since Woods went down and they moved Hunt to NT, an experiment that largely paid off. Wth both guys in the A gap, do they continue that, or was it a gimmick formation they just employed from the past bc Hunt is a lighter NT than they would like?
Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
He might be one of those guys who are just a better football player than athlete. But I believe Ballard places a lot of emphasis on athletiscm and Polite is on the lower end of that scale. I’m sure he has guys above him.
I read on Twitter that the guy's agent supposedly told him "get above 260" without telling him how, and so he gained about 20 lbs. Without lifting weights. The reverse of Bryan Burns.

Dumb, but football players are not always the smartest. Nor do they have to be. And the guy is 20. His agent clearly sucks and didn't prepare him for the interviews, so it would not surprise me if he didn't advise him well on gaining weight, doing it right, getting the right trainers, etc.

He seems immature and needing direction, but clearly has talent, and produced against top competition. If we got him late second I'd be happy with that.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:36 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
It was you saying 0-tech, which lines up between the A gaps, that I was referring to. Our nose plays mostly 1 tech, like you are saying, in the A gap.
Not that it really matters, but I never said 0-tech. I said nose, even though I meant it as a 1 tech in this scheme.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Not that it really matters, but I never said 0-tech. I said nose, even though I meant it as a 1 tech in this scheme.
My mistake. It was Chromeburn, not you.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
I read on Twitter that the guy's agent supposedly told him "get above 260" without telling him how, and so he gained about 20 lbs. Without lifting weights. The reverse of Bryan Burns.

Dumb, but football players are not always the smartest. Nor do they have to be. And the guy is 20. His agent clearly sucks and didn't prepare him for the interviews, so it would not surprise me if he didn't advise him well on gaining weight, doing it right, getting the right trainers, etc.

He seems immature and needing direction, but clearly has talent, and produced against top competition. If we got him late second I'd be happy with that.
Well that is absurd. I’d fire that guy right away.

Still seems no one has an accurate measurement of his athletiscm. Taking a slight risk there going just off of production even if it is in the SEC.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:09 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Jeffery Simmons | DT | Mississippi State
Height: 6-4 | Weight: 301
2018 Stats: 63 tackles, 18 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 4 batted passes

Seems like a solid penetrating DT that will pressure the pocket but will not create a ton of sacks. Long player with an explosive first step, often wins the snap there rather than fighting through blocks with technique or strength. Seems to get into the backfield a lot but struggles to finish the tackle. Had an incident in 2016 where he hit a woman on video. I don't personally see what the hype is about but maybe it's an eye test thing.

Christian Wilkins | DT | Clemson
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 312
2018 Stats: 51 tackles, 14 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 FF

Just from reading about him I don't know why he's not the #2 DT prospect in the draft. But no one has him that high. Great size, good flexibility despite shorter arms and squatty build, quick athlete in short areas, plays very hard with great effort, knows how to defeat blocks or blow through them, anchors well against the run. Has the athleticism to play DE (he spent time there in 2016) but the body and mentality to play inside. He was arguably the best player on arguably the best defense in college football. He also earned his BA and MA in 4 years at Clemson. Everything I read tells me he'd be a great pick at #26 if he lasts that long.

Dre'Mont Jones | DT | Ohio State
Height: 6-3 | Weight: 272-295???
2018 Stats: 43 tackles, 13 TFL, 8.5 sacks

Excellent athlete, good gap penetrator with a variety of pass rushing moves that he seems to know how to use. Plays like a DE playing DT. Struggles to anchor against the run and with double teams. Really good first step explosion but then he stands up once engaged, killing his own momentum. Maybe he should be a DE. There seem to be wild discrepancies about how much he actually weighs so pre-draft activities with weigh-ins will be important. His strengths seem to fit with what Eberflus wants to do with his non NT DL so I wouldn't be surprised if Jones is high on the board.

Jerry Tillery | DT | Notre Dame
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 304
2018 Stats: 28 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 7 sacks

With that size, 7 sacks, and ND hype, my first question is why is he ranked so low? Supposedly a high-effort player that can run a 4.8 40. He moved from noseguard to 3 tech this season and had his best year of football. Might be an eyeball test thing again but he seems like a pretty great prospect to me.
Watched a few minutes of highlights from each of these guys today because I think there's a good chance one of them is a Colt in a few weeks. Here are my thoughts (for whatever they're worth):
  • Tillery doesn't have the quickness to play in a gap scheme like the Colts employ. He'll likely be a good pro, but he looks like a 5-tech in a 30 front to me. With the Henry Anderson trade last year, Ballard has already shown he isn't interested in that type of player in this scheme.
  • Jones is really impressive...but he's redundant to what Autry and Lewis are supposed to offer them. Because of that, I don't see the fit at #26 or #34, but he could be good value at #59.
  • Unlike Jones, Wilkins offers the Colts more versatility on the interior. He's bigger and stronger and can play more A gap to allow Lewis/Autry to stay in the B gap. Yet he's still quick enough to penetrate in a gap scheme. Given everything we've heard about his leadership and off-field, I think this is the pick unless he's gone or Ballard loves one of the safeties.
  • Simmons is obviously intriguing. When healthy, he's a game wrecker and would flourish in this scheme...but will Ballard take the risk if he can get Wilkins? I think Simmons is more likely to be an option if Wilkins is off the board.