ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-10-2017, 05:59 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Where did you get those numbers? What criteria was used?
The criteria he used was pulling it out of his ass.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (05-12-2017), omahacolt (05-10-2017), Racehorse (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:09 AM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
If what I said is a strawman argument, then please explain what is meant when people say that the team "isn't prepared" or "starts slow". Those are the two biggest complaints around here about the team under Pagano (which, if you think about it for any time at all, essentially boil down to the same complaint), and if I didn't encapsulate the concept of "slow start" with "come out flat, get punched in the mouth, and get down 2 scores early" then I really would like to know what does.
Look at the freaking play calling. It is so dreadful at the start of the game and that falls on Pagano.
Puck (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 07:25 AM

as Brylok stated, can't wait for training camp to be here....this back and forth reminds me of my ex wife and I

But anyway, just saw this blurb come across my twitter feed

@JuMosq
Indianapolis Colts since 2006
Big Wins (8+): 48
Close Games: 92
Big Losses (8+): 36
Adjusted win percentage: 53.41%
Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
2006-2009 Colts "slow starts": 14
2013-2016 Colts "slow starts": 16

Not sure there's a statistically relevant difference here.
2006-2009 Colts slow starts : 5
2013-2016 Colts slow starts : 800.623
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Pagano can still lead this team to a championship, a healthy Luck and Grigson gone we'll see what happens. He's made some dumb calls but what coach hasn't? Tomlin got embarrassed by the Pats last year
Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Pagano can still lead this team to a championship, a healthy Luck and Grigson gone we'll see what happens. He's made some dumb calls but what coach hasn't? Tomlin got embarrassed by the Pats last year
Pagano can't lead us there; Luck can and Pagano will be along for the ride.
Colts2006 (05-11-2017), FatDT (05-11-2017), Maniac (05-11-2017), omahacolt (05-11-2017), Spike (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Sports Illustrated - MMQB Ballard Interview

I've listed a few of my favorite Ballard Quotes from this interview one of the best articles yet that I've found on Ballard's change of culture.

Referring to Luck's presser after the Chiefs put an ass whooping on us

Quote:
“And so I watched the press conference with Andrew, and he owned it all,” Ballard said from his new office on Tuesday. “Didn’t throw anyone under the bus. He owned everything. His mistake or not, he owned everything. And I’ll never forget going down, and I told [Chiefs GM John] Dorsey, ‘Boy, I just watched one of the best press conferences I’ve ever seen.’ A kid who owned it all. And that’s what the great leaders do—they don’t point fingers and they don’t blame.
Quote:
The defense stands to have five new starters in the front seven and, if rookies win jobs in the secondary, seven new starters overall. And yet, the offensive lineup may well not undergo a single change.
Regarding Jack Doyle

Quote:
“We liked him in Kansas City,” Ballard said. “And finding out what he stood for—he was an undrafted kid who was cut, claimed by Indy, who had to earn his way and earn everyone’s respect, and earn his playtime. And then he produced. And he’s great in the locker room, he’s great in the community. He’s everything we want a Colt to be. That was priority No. 1, to make sure that we got Jack Doyle done.”
Quote:
“When you pay a player who has not earned it, who is not a great worker, who doesn’t make an impact in the locker room, [players] know it,” Ballard said. “They know who’s earned it. … I’ve never been around a good team in this league where the locker room didn’t hold each other accountable, didn’t put pressure on each other to win. That’s what you have to have. They know. They know.”
Regarding the FA Signings

Quote:
“We wanted to do shorter-term deals, that way all of them have a chance to hit free agency again,” said Ballard. “The flip side, for us, we know we’re gonna get the best out of them, because they know there’s another contract on the back side of this.”
After saying that, and going back to “the locker room knows” theme, the Colts GM was quick to reinforce that “every guy we’ve signed, from John Simon to Hankins to Sheard, have all earned it. All of them have earned it.” This just gives them a shot to earn even more.
Talking about the O-line

Quote:
“I’ll give [previous GM[ Ryan Grigson a lot of credit for this—he drafted [center Ryan] Kelly, [tackle Joe] Haeg and [tackle] Le’Raven Clark all in one year,” Ballard said. “Thank god he did, because [the 2017 draft] was a down year for offensive line. We gotta let those guys develop. So it’s the combination of [left tackle] Anthony Castonzo, [guard] Jack] Mewhort, Kelly, Haeg, L’Raven Clark, Denzelle Good, we signed Brian Schwenke from Tennesse, we drafted [Zach] Banner. ...
“Are we perfect yet? No. But do we have a good group to work with? I do believe that. There’s definitely hope there. Now we gotta let those guys develop.”
More than just Luck

Quote:
“Everybody knows how hard that position is to find,” Ballard said. “When you have a guy with special talent at the position and he’s got special character on top of it, that’s a pretty good thing. But the one big thing I’ve made a point of here, it’s not just Andrew. We’ve got to have the best 53-man roster, and that includes Andrew.
“That’s how we’ll help him, by making the roster around him better both offensively and defensively. That’s what we’re gonna do. It can’t be just about Andrew.”
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/11/i...d-nfl-notebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wyatt For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (05-11-2017), sherck (05-11-2017), Spike (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Look at the freaking play calling. It is so dreadful at the start of the game and that falls on Pagano.

It falls on Chud. But I am convinced it is driven by The Clapper.... 2nd coordinator with completely different styles but the same issues to start the games.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
It falls on Chud. But I am convinced it is driven by The Clapper.... 2nd coordinator with completely different styles but the same issues to start the games.
It is easy to point to Chud, but he is doing as he is told to do. Pags is the real culprit when it comes to slow starts.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 PM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
No team ever just comes out and dominates every game start to finish. No team. The team that came closest to that was the 2005 Colts, being the first and only team in NFL history to win their first 13 games by 7 or more points. Never happened before then, hasn't happened since. What that says is that a championship team will at some point face adversity, and will need to be able to overcome it. Every player and every team is going to have situations where they come out flat, get punched in the mouth, and get down by 2 scores quickly. It's not avoiding that that makes a great team (because avoiding it has never happened), it's overcoming it. The Colts under Pagano have shown that ability on many occasions. And since no team ever has met your standard, I'd say it's pretty reasonable to call it unrealistic and unreasonable.
The difference that you fail to grasp is that under Clappy it doesn't occasionally happen, it consistently happens. This clearly shows a lack of ability from him and his staff to get the team properly prepared. Yes, we do come back quite often when we're playing bad teams like the Jagoffs, but when we play any good they just continue to kick the crap out of us.