ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-27-2020, 12:51 PM

Default My Post Draft Look At The Roster - Defense

1-tech Nose Tackle:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Grover Stewart, Sheldon Day
Fighting for a spot: Kameron Cline (UDFA rookie)

Both Stewart and Day are solid NTs. Nothing really special out of them as they will shoot the A gap, hopefully demand the double team and occasionally win if singled. Day is an upgrade over what we saw out of Marqus Hunt in 2019 so that is an improvement but neither Stewart or Day give much in pass rush. They will cause the occasional problem with pass protection if singled but that is not going to happen very often. We could do worse than these two but neither are going to rack up many stats. However, along with an improved 3-tech DT rotation, if they help keep the LBs clean then they have done their job. Cline is in interesting prospect from an HBC school who is a load at his level of competition. He needs to add 25 pounds of muscle but his first step is quick and he has some solid penetration skills. A year on the practice squad could develop him well enough to earn a spot in 2021 as one of the NT guys; especially since both Stewart and Day are free agents after the 2020 season.

3-tech Defensive Tackle:
Likely on the 53-man roster: DeForest Buckner, Denico Autry
Fighting for a spot: Tyquan Lewis, Rob Windsor (6th round rookie)

Most improved position group on the roster with the addition of a top five DT in Buckner to pair with an already above average guy in Autry. This is one of the strongest two-man rotations we have on the roster as both can come in and demand the double team. The 3-tech is the engine that drives the entire defense and I think this one move will show across the entire squad. This position group is in great shape in 2020 as long as they stay healthy. Lewis has done nothing but disappoint as a 2nd round draft pick and is going to be fighting for a roster spot in 2020. I could see him slide outside to try and take Sheard’s spot along with Muhammad as the “stack” DE in our defense but he better bring his “A” game to training camp or else he will be out. Windsor looks to be solid but needs a year or two to see what he can develop into. I would currently project him to win the 5th NT/DT spot assuming that Lewis will not rise to the challenge of keeping a spot on the team. If Lewis or Cline do beat him out, I could see him on the practice squad in 2020.

”Rush” Defensive End:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Justin Houston, Kemoko Turray
Fighting for a spot: Kendall Coleman (UDFA rookie)

IF, If, if. If Turray returns from his injury at full speed and if Houston still has fuel in the tank (which I think he will), this could be an exciting rotation to watch. With better pass rush from the 3-tech spot, it should allow for more single blocks on these guys and better production. If healthy, I like this position group almost as much as I like our 3-tech rotation. Coleman is an interesting guy who is from Indy (Cathedral HS) and has been working with Robert Mathis since the end of the college season. Mathis called him “the steal of the draft” in an interview before the draft. I would love to think that he can come in and repeat a Robert Mathis like career but it will be interesting to see if he is “THE UDFA ROOKIE” to make the Colts 2020 roster.

”Stack” Defensive End:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Al-Quadin Muhammad, Ben Banogu
Fighting for a spot: Gerri Green

I think Muhammad is the most “Sheard” like DE we have on the roster and will end up inheriting his “starting” spot opposite Houston in the base defense. I don’t think that will count for much as there will be constant rotation with our DEs depending on down and distance but he sets the edge and stacks the blockers as well as anyone we have at DE not named Houston. Actually, if Lewis actually turns it on this year, I could see him taking the starting spot from Muhammad as he has all the skills to accel at the spot but until he shows he can do it, I think the starting spot is Muhammad’s. Banogu will hopefully take a 2nd year leap and add quality depth to the position group and the same could go for Green who did not get many opportunities to shine in his rookie year. Time to see what we have in these two young men.

Weak-side Linebacker:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Darius Leonard, E.J. Speed
Fighting for a spot: Jordan Glasgow (UDFA rookie)

Middle Linebacker:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Anthony Walker, Bobby Okereke
Fighting for a spot: Skai Moore

Strong-side Linebacker:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Zaire Franklin, Matthew Adams
Fighting for a spot:

I lump them together because I don’t think it makes a ton of difference in what specific “position” they play. I think our talent order is: Leonard, Okereke, Walker, Speed and that those four guys will get the vast majority of the snaps during the 2020 season. A Football Outsiders article rated our 2018 defensive alignments as: 60.5% in nickel (5 defensive backs), 13.4% dime (6 defensive backs) and only 26.1% as base, goal line or “big” packages (4 or less defensive backs). That means that we played 3 LBs on only 1 out of 4 defensive snaps in 2018. It also noted that we were the only defense in the league in 2018 to play zero 3-4 alignment snaps. That same article will not come out for the 2019 season until this July but I feel like we did not play more base alignment in 2019 than we did 2018. We will likely keep 6 LBs on the roster so I think Glasgow or Skai have big uphill climbs to be on the active roster unless their Special Teams skills just shine out and then they would replace either Franklin or Adams. However, if I had to bet, I would give the nod to the guys who already have two years on the active roster in our system.

Safety:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Malik Hooker, Khari Willis, George Odum, Rolan Milligan
Likely starting season on PUP: Julian Blackmon (3rd round rookie)
Fighting for a spot: Donald Rutledge (UDFA rookie)

Not much of a change in our depth chart to start the season assuming that Blackmon will probably start the season on the PUP. Geathers will not be returning but both Odum and Milligan played solid in 2019 and are fine depth pieces moving forward. The more highlights I see on Blackmon, the more I am warming to him as he has unmistakable physical and ball skills. His understanding of the alignment and his role and placement seems to be the weakest part of his game which can be coached up. Considering that he only played safety for one season, that is not surprising. I don’t know how much he will impact the 2020 season but if we get anything out of him, it will be a bonus. I really like his potential going forward in 2021 and beyond. I hope Hooker can play better and earn a veteran contract with us because if he does, then I like our safety group going forward led by Hooker, Blakmon and Willis with Odum and Milligan in reserve.

Cornerback:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Rock Ya Sin, Xavier Rhodes, Kenny Moore II, T.J. Carrie, Marvell Tell, Isaiah Rodgers (6th round rookie)
Fighting for a spot:

Honestly, still our weakest position group on the defense, IMO. Moore is one of the best slot CBs in the league and I like the potential of Ya Sin and Tell but beyond that, we are floating in a sea of average. Perhaps the change of team will flip a switch in both Rhodes and Carrie and they both play well in 2020 for us but both have been pretty average over the past couple of seasons. I think we typically keep six CBs on the roster so I think all these guys make the team unless one of the camp fodder bodies really shines.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

Beyond the addition of Buckner who is a big add, the defense pretty much stayed static this off-season. Day replaces Hunt. Rhodes replaces Desir. Carrie replaces Wilson. No one accomplished replaces Sheard. Blackmon will probably not be available until later in the season. Another year of growth for our younger guys which I hope will put some of them over the hump but, overall, our talent level did not increase greatly (except for one spot which is arguably the most important spot of the defense but still, only one guy). We were a top half defense last season so even moderate growth would be a good thing and possibly put us into discussion of a top ten defense but it would have been nice to add at least one more quality piece to the squad.

There are still some veterans out there that could help the defense.

The BIG name is, of course, Jadeveon Clowney. The Colts could still swing his cap hit in 2020 and he would be a great replacement for Sheard at the other defensive end position opposite Houston. However, unless Ballard is playing some game of chicken trying to drive the price down, I don’t see him taking that many defensive snaps away from Turray and Banogu development.

Other interesting names still available include: NT Mike Daniels, DE Everson Griffen, DE Pernell McPhee, DE Jabaal Sheard, DE Vinny Curry, DE Ezekiel Ansah (notice a trend?). There are some interesting CBs out there as well but my guess is that Ballard has already signed the veteran CBs that he wanted to sign in Rhodes and Carrie.

If there is one free agent spot that I think it is possible that Ballard will still spend money on in free agency on the defense, it is the “stack” DE spot. Re-signing Sheard is the most probable course, IMO, but brining in someone else is definitely a possibility with the signing of Clowney as a “long shot.”
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
Chaka (04-29-2020), Chromeburn (04-27-2020), Racehorse (04-27-2020), TêteDeFer (04-27-2020), YDFL Commish (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 01:12 PM

Ballard has mentioned Lewis when referencing the DEs. It’s likely he gets more time there and less inside where he has definitely underwhelmed. Would make some sense considering they didn’t add a body at DE in the draft but they did draft Windsor. Hopefully it allows Lewis to contribute.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

I read that Kendall Coleman interview. Not surprised we signed him considering we have the inside track. Glad we did, thought he was a sleeper.

I personally would put Banagu under rush end. But that’s me.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:28 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
1-tech Nose Tackle:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Grover Stewart, Sheldon Day
Fighting for a spot: Kameron Cline (UDFA rookie)

Both Stewart and Day are solid NTs. Nothing really special out of them as they will shoot the A gap, hopefully demand the double team and occasionally win if singled. Day is an upgrade over what we saw out of Marqus Hunt in 2019 so that is an improvement but neither Stewart or Day give much in pass rush. They will cause the occasional problem with pass protection if singled but that is not going to happen very often. We could do worse than these two but neither are going to rack up many stats. However, along with an improved 3-tech DT rotation, if they help keep the LBs clean then they have done their job. Cline is in interesting prospect from an HBC school who is a load at his level of competition. He needs to add 25 pounds of muscle but his first step is quick and he has some solid penetration skills. A year on the practice squad could develop him well enough to earn a spot in 2021 as one of the NT guys; especially since both Stewart and Day are free agents after the 2020 season.

3-tech Defensive Tackle:
Likely on the 53-man roster: DeForest Buckner, Denico Autry
Fighting for a spot: Tyquan Lewis, Rob Windsor (6th round rookie)

Most improved position group on the roster with the addition of a top five DT in Buckner to pair with an already above average guy in Autry. This is one of the strongest two-man rotations we have on the roster as both can come in and demand the double team. The 3-tech is the engine that drives the entire defense and I think this one move will show across the entire squad. This position group is in great shape in 2020 as long as they stay healthy. Lewis has done nothing but disappoint as a 2nd round draft pick and is going to be fighting for a roster spot in 2020. I could see him slide outside to try and take Sheard’s spot along with Muhammad as the “stack” DE in our defense but he better bring his “A” game to training camp or else he will be out. Windsor looks to be solid but needs a year or two to see what he can develop into. I would currently project him to win the 5th NT/DT spot assuming that Lewis will not rise to the challenge of keeping a spot on the team. If Lewis or Cline do beat him out, I could see him on the practice squad in 2020.

”Rush” Defensive End:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Justin Houston, Kemoko Turray
Fighting for a spot: Kendall Coleman (UDFA rookie)

IF, If, if. If Turray returns from his injury at full speed and if Houston still has fuel in the tank (which I think he will), this could be an exciting rotation to watch. With better pass rush from the 3-tech spot, it should allow for more single blocks on these guys and better production. If healthy, I like this position group almost as much as I like our 3-tech rotation. Coleman is an interesting guy who is from Indy (Cathedral HS) and has been working with Robert Mathis since the end of the college season. Mathis called him “the steal of the draft” in an interview before the draft. I would love to think that he can come in and repeat a Robert Mathis like career but it will be interesting to see if he is “THE UDFA ROOKIE” to make the Colts 2020 roster.

”Stack” Defensive End:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Al-Quadin Muhammad, Ben Banogu
Fighting for a spot: Gerri Green

I think Muhammad is the most “Sheard” like DE we have on the roster and will end up inheriting his “starting” spot opposite Houston in the base defense. I don’t think that will count for much as there will be constant rotation with our DEs depending on down and distance but he sets the edge and stacks the blockers as well as anyone we have at DE not named Houston. Actually, if Lewis actually turns it on this year, I could see him taking the starting spot from Muhammad as he has all the skills to accel at the spot but until he shows he can do it, I think the starting spot is Muhammad’s. Banogu will hopefully take a 2nd year leap and add quality depth to the position group and the same could go for Green who did not get many opportunities to shine in his rookie year. Time to see what we have in these two young men.

Weak-side Linebacker:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Darius Leonard, E.J. Speed
Fighting for a spot: Jordan Glasgow (UDFA rookie)

Middle Linebacker:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Anthony Walker, Bobby Okereke
Fighting for a spot: Skai Moore

Strong-side Linebacker:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Zaire Franklin, Matthew Adams
Fighting for a spot:

I lump them together because I don’t think it makes a ton of difference in what specific “position” they play. I think our talent order is: Leonard, Okereke, Walker, Speed and that those four guys will get the vast majority of the snaps during the 2020 season. A Football Outsiders article rated our 2018 defensive alignments as: 60.5% in nickel (5 defensive backs), 13.4% dime (6 defensive backs) and only 26.1% as base, goal line or “big” packages (4 or less defensive backs). That means that we played 3 LBs on only 1 out of 4 defensive snaps in 2018. It also noted that we were the only defense in the league in 2018 to play zero 3-4 alignment snaps. That same article will not come out for the 2019 season until this July but I feel like we did not play more base alignment in 2019 than we did 2018. We will likely keep 6 LBs on the roster so I think Glasgow or Skai have big uphill climbs to be on the active roster unless their Special Teams skills just shine out and then they would replace either Franklin or Adams. However, if I had to bet, I would give the nod to the guys who already have two years on the active roster in our system.

Safety:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Malik Hooker, Khari Willis, George Odum, Rolan Milligan
Likely starting season on PUP: Julian Blackmon (3rd round rookie)
Fighting for a spot: Donald Rutledge (UDFA rookie)

Not much of a change in our depth chart to start the season assuming that Blackmon will probably start the season on the PUP. Geathers will not be returning but both Odum and Milligan played solid in 2019 and are fine depth pieces moving forward. The more highlights I see on Blackmon, the more I am warming to him as he has unmistakable physical and ball skills. His understanding of the alignment and his role and placement seems to be the weakest part of his game which can be coached up. Considering that he only played safety for one season, that is not surprising. I don’t know how much he will impact the 2020 season but if we get anything out of him, it will be a bonus. I really like his potential going forward in 2021 and beyond. I hope Hooker can play better and earn a veteran contract with us because if he does, then I like our safety group going forward led by Hooker, Blakmon and Willis with Odum and Milligan in reserve.

Cornerback:
Likely on the 53-man roster: Rock Ya Sin, Xavier Rhodes, Kenny Moore II, T.J. Carrie, Marvell Tell, Isaiah Rodgers (6th round rookie)
Fighting for a spot:

Honestly, still our weakest position group on the defense, IMO. Moore is one of the best slot CBs in the league and I like the potential of Ya Sin and Tell but beyond that, we are floating in a sea of average. Perhaps the change of team will flip a switch in both Rhodes and Carrie and they both play well in 2020 for us but both have been pretty average over the past couple of seasons. I think we typically keep six CBs on the roster so I think all these guys make the team unless one of the camp fodder bodies really shines.

OVERALL THOUGHTS:

Beyond the addition of Buckner who is a big add, the defense pretty much stayed static this off-season. Day replaces Hunt. Rhodes replaces Desir. Carrie replaces Wilson. No one accomplished replaces Sheard. Blackmon will probably not be available until later in the season. Another year of growth for our younger guys which I hope will put some of them over the hump but, overall, our talent level did not increase greatly (except for one spot which is arguably the most important spot of the defense but still, only one guy). We were a top half defense last season so even moderate growth would be a good thing and possibly put us into discussion of a top ten defense but it would have been nice to add at least one more quality piece to the squad.

There are still some veterans out there that could help the defense.

The BIG name is, of course, Jadeveon Clowney. The Colts could still swing his cap hit in 2020 and he would be a great replacement for Sheard at the other defensive end position opposite Houston. However, unless Ballard is playing some game of chicken trying to drive the price down, I don’t see him taking that many defensive snaps away from Turray and Banogu development.

Other interesting names still available include: NT Mike Daniels, DE Everson Griffen, DE Pernell McPhee, DE Jabaal Sheard, DE Vinny Curry, DE Ezekiel Ansah (notice a trend?). There are some interesting CBs out there as well but my guess is that Ballard has already signed the veteran CBs that he wanted to sign in Rhodes and Carrie.

If there is one free agent spot that I think it is possible that Ballard will still spend money on in free agency on the defense, it is the “stack” DE spot. Re-signing Sheard is the most probable course, IMO, but brining in someone else is definitely a possibility with the signing of Clowney as a “long shot.”
Clowney doesnt generate pass rush worth squat. Sheard is a better guy in the locker room and can do the same thing on the field.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:54 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Clowney doesnt generate pass rush worth squat. Sheard is a better guy in the locker room and can do the same thing on the field.
I really don't want Clowney, but in no way is Sheard as good as him at really anything.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:20 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Agree about Tyquan Lewis. I believe the Colts have got to move him to Sheard's DE spot and see what they've got, because he's not cracking the lineup at 3-Tech.