ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 01:34 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Back to Funchess for a second. I'm very pleased to see that the 'experts' hate the signing. One guy gave it a D- and another had it as the third worst signing in free agency this year. To me this bodes extremely well for us. I remember D's for Nelson and Leonard being the 'worst" pick in the entire draft. Hoping Funchess reads what a crappy signing he was for us and it motivates him. He is huge, runs nice routes and will make people eat crow (they won't) with the way he is used by our staff here. I repeat, he is a great signing because this staff knows exactly what he brings to the table and knows exactly how they are going to use his skill set. It's no guarantee but it's as close as you can get.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Would you consider the Peyton led Colts a dynasty?
Of course not, we only won a single SB
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Of course not, we only won a single SB
Yup, unfortunately. That team should have been a dynasty.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:17 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Here is a Tweet about Funchess' contract.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoelAEric...99654080970752

Quote:
The details of Devin Funchess’ contract:

$3 million base salary
$7 million roster bonus,
guaranteed

Only the roster bonus is guaranteed.

Possible $3 million in incentives for receptions, receiving yards, TDs, Pro Bowl, All-Pro
Seems to be this is a $7M contract that becomes at least a $10M contract if he isn't cut during the season, with the possibility of becoming up to a $13M contract if he hits some or all of his incentives.

I suppose that is a bit better. But realistically, he's not getting cut. So that money is likely to be earned and it is functionally still a $10 mil contract with $3 mil in incentives.

Last edited by FatDT; 03-15-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Here is a Tweet about Funchess' contract.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoelAEric...99654080970752

Seems to be this is a $7M contract that becomes at least a $10M contract if he isn't cut during the season, with the possibility of becoming up to a $13M contract if he hits some or all of his incentives.

I suppose that is a bit better. But realistically, he's not getting cut. So that money is likely to be earned and it is functionally still a $10 mil contract with $3 mil in incentives.
We can afford that. May be 2-3 million more than we would have liked but with the amount of cap space we have it's not a huge overpay if an overpay at all
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
We can afford that. May be 2-3 million more than we would have liked but with the amount of cap space we have it's not a huge overpay if an overpay at all
Yeah. We can afford a lot of things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (03-15-2019), Racehorse (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 03:46 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
I enjoy it. Entitled fanbase. Sick of all the new Rams fans too. I was walking out of a game this year and some asshat tough guy was pissing on a tree in front of everyone. He saw me giving him a dirty look and tried to start a fight with me.
Hes used to being pissed on so thought pissing on that tree would make him feel better... it didnt so he became pissed off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (03-15-2019), Coltsfever (06-14-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
When Polian first got here he went out and got FA's like Bratzke and Cota to shore up the talent differential. He only went solely to the draft after they signed their star players to contracts and did not have as much cap room. That strategy eventually failed because they were not drafting as well. Would Polian have sat on a hundred million in this case especially after getting spanked in the playoffs?
And after Ballard came on board, he signed Sheard, Hankins, and Simon. Neither went crazy in UFA; they just filled some gaps with short-term fixes.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure that there is any one best way to build a football team. To me, the most important thing is that you have A way, that you understand it and that you do not allow yourself to deviate much,if at all. Ballard/Reich (it is a great thing for this organization that they seem to work as one) have a plan and really seem to know where they want to take this team. So far it has worked about as well as I could have hoped for. One year ago everyone, and I mean everyone, thought we had the least talented team in football. Thru 6 games that seemed to hold (although you could see things, like the offensive line, start to jell if you looked beyond our record), then it started to turn. For the first time in years I find myself being comfortable watching someone who apparently knows what the hell they are doing build this team. I'm really enjoying this build.
This is all I’m advocating. I’m not going hard against Ballard because his approach can work. And while I would have been more aggressive, I acknowledge that approach is not full proof. If you do either approach well, you’ll succeed.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Back to Funchess for a second. I'm very pleased to see that the 'experts' hate the signing. One guy gave it a D- and another had it as the third worst signing in free agency this year. To me this bodes extremely well for us. I remember D's for Nelson and Leonard being the 'worst" pick in the entire draft. Hoping Funchess reads what a crappy signing he was for us and it motivates him. He is huge, runs nice routes and will make people eat crow (they won't) with the way he is used by our staff here. I repeat, he is a great signing because this staff knows exactly what he brings to the table and knows exactly how they are going to use his skill set. It's no guarantee but it's as close as you can get.
That's the key point. Under Pagano's regime, this wouldn't have been a good signing. With Reich and Ballard on the same page, they know exactly how they are going to magnify his strengths.