ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-08-2017, 12:17 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Interesting that one is a now likely to be former Chief and one is a now likely to be former Raven.

Wonder if there will be a tug-o-war between Pagano/Ballard on this? I wonder if Ballard will have the same fetish for ex-Chiefs that Grigson had for Eagles and Pagano for Ravens?

I think that Brandon Williams is probably the better player too, but I'll take whichever one we can get.
Only a moron wouldn't bring in guys he knows well.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanked 1,240 Times in 695 Posts

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports free agent NT Dontari Poe is a "top target" for the Redskins.
Bracing to lose versatile DE Chris Baker as a free agent, the Redskins have made it known fixing their defensive line is a priority. They have plenty of bodies up front but not much talent. Poe might be a bit overrated, but he's a massive human at 6'3/346 and capable of clogging lanes against the run. Washington was torched by the run last season, finishing 25th in run-defense DVOA.
Related: Redskins
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter Mar 8 - 9:23 AM

If this is true, we're not getting him. You don't win bidding wars against the Redskins. And Chris Ballard really doesn't strike me as the guy brought in to outbid Daniel Snyder.
Ahhh, Dan Snyder the king of mortgaging the future. We should be so fortunate to have him in our division. Of course there are probably rules that limit the number of bat shit crazy owners allowed in any given division.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Only a moron wouldn't bring in guys he knows well.
Unfortunately, our morons brought in guys that sucked that they knew well.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora 38m38 minutes ago
Guard Kevin Zeitler will do quite well on the open market. Hearing the Colts, Jags and Browns are in on him

Yes. Yes. Yes. That would be awesome.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora 38m38 minutes ago
Guard Kevin Zeitler will do quite well on the open market. Hearing the Colts, Jags and Browns are in on him

Yes. Yes. Yes. That would be awesome.
We would have a pretty solid interior if he were to sign.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts, Jaguars, and Browns are "in on" free agent RG Kevin Zeitler.

All three teams need big-time offensive line help, and all three are flush with cap space. It could turn into a massive bidding war and make Zeitler the league's highest-paid right guard at more than $10 million per year. Mar 8 - 11:06 AM
I love Zeitler's game. He is balanced in both pass protection and run blocking, on the correct side of 30 years old, pretty durable (played 16 games each of the last two seasons) and a good locker room presence by all account.

PFF has him as their #2 overall top free agent behind only Calais Campbell.

Unfortunately, both JAX and CLE have more cap space to spend then we do.

Fortunately, neither have a competent offense of which to be a part of:

IND = 10th scoring (25.7 ppg) / 05th passing (262.6 ypg) / 23rd rushing (101.8 ypg)
JAX = 23rd scoring (19.9 ppg) / 20th passing (233.0 ypg) / 22nd rushing (101.9 ypg)
CLE = 30th scoring (16.5 ppg) / 28th passing (204.0 ypg) / 19th rushing (107.0 ypg)

If I were an offensive lineman, I know where I would rather go play. However, as the song says, "it's all about the money, money, money."

Cheers,
Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

If we don't get Zeitler there are lots of other good options. It's a great time to need a veteran guard.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 13m13 minutes ago
Colts very active under new GM Chris Ballard. Hope to keep Butler and Turbin, exploring top D free agents like Perry and Poe.

I like the sound of this very much.

All of this. Very, very much.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:20 PM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 13m13 minutes ago
Colts very active under new GM Chris Ballard. Hope to keep Butler and Turbin, exploring top D free agents like Perry and Poe.

I like the sound of this very much.

All of this. Very, very much.
The only two Colts free agents that, for me, were "must re-sign" were Doyle and Butler (as safety and emergency CB). Turbin is an 'whatever" for me so idk about him but if we sign him cheap, cool.

2014 / 16 games played / 47 tackles / 3 TFL / 0.5 sacks
2015 / 16 games played / 53 tackles / 8 TFL / 2.0 sacks
2016 / 16 games played / 51 tackles / 3 TFL / 1.0 sacks

2014 / 16 games played / 46 tackles / 1 TFL / 6.0 sacks
2015 / 15 games played / 39 tackles / 2 TFL / 1.0 sacks
2016 / 16 games played / 27 tackles / 1 TFL / 1.5 sacks

Which of those two stat lines do you want to give a big NT contract to? Which one is trending down?

Brandon Williams, BAL is the top one.
Dontari Poe, KC is the bottom one.

I am concerned that Poe is never again going to be the guy he was in 2013/2014 so that we will end up overpaying him.

If he wants a one year "show me" contract for $6m in order to ramp up his value, then okay but if we end up signing him for $9m a year for multiple years, I don't think we will get the value.

I am a fan of signing Perry because we need a veteran starting LB somewhere on the team. We cannot start all rookies, 1st or 2nd year players and be effective.

Cheers,
Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
The only two Colts free agents that, for me, were "must re-sign" were Doyle and Butler (as safety and emergency CB). Turbin is an 'whatever" for me so idk about him but if we sign him cheap, cool.

2014 / 16 games played / 47 tackles / 3 TFL / 0.5 sacks
2015 / 16 games played / 53 tackles / 8 TFL / 2.0 sacks
2016 / 16 games played / 51 tackles / 3 TFL / 1.0 sacks

2014 / 16 games played / 46 tackles / 1 TFL / 6.0 sacks
2015 / 15 games played / 39 tackles / 2 TFL / 1.0 sacks
2016 / 16 games played / 27 tackles / 1 TFL / 1.5 sacks

Which of those two stat lines do you want to give a big NT contract to? Which one is trending down?

Brandon Williams, BAL is the top one.
Dontari Poe, KC is the bottom one.

I am concerned that Poe is never again going to be the guy he was in 2013/2014 so that we will end up overpaying him.

If he wants a one year "show me" contract for $6m in order to ramp up his value, then okay but if we end up signing him for $9m a year for multiple years, I don't think we will get the value.

I am a fan of signing Perry because we need a veteran starting LB somewhere on the team. We cannot start all rookies, 1st or 2nd year players and be effective.

Cheers,
Yeah, I probably would've preferred a bit more of a "name" at RB, but as long as they're not giving him some ridiculous contract, then fine. He made $700K last year. Maybe they bump it to $1M just to make him happy? If so, that hardly precludes drafting a guy with fresher legs and potentially even making Turbin a training camp cut if it comes down to it.

I too love the idea of Poe in a show-me contract, but Ballard has to be very aware of what's going on with him. If he thinks that Poe is somehow a great candidate for a hefty contract, last two seasons be damned, then I'm gonna have to trust him (for now, anyway).

Parry, by all accounts, they weren't 11 empty sacks, ala Erik Walden this year. He's probably our most realistic bet to be a guy to bring in that can do the most for us where we most desperately need it.