ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-10-2018, 02:49 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I’m extremely encouraged that the Colts are putting resources into the offensive line, finally. Unlike some, I have no idea how good these guys are. All I know is what I read. The fact that Howard started 16 games for the Ravens when we couldn’t find anyone to hold onto the RT spot on a terrible line has to be a positive. Again this team is obviously tired of crap line play. Thank god. It’s about time
Old 05-10-2018, 06:46 AM

I found a source that ranks right tackles. They ranked him 25th. The same source ranked Haeg at 31, so not much improvement. Their description said the following:

"He is big and physical and will play that way even in pass protection. However, Howard struggles with his lateral movement when he faces rushers with some wiggle to them. He is a mauler in the running game and sets a physical tone as a run-blocker."
Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

From an article from Baltimorebeatdown.com on if they should release Austin Howard in order to save $3.000m in cap space.

- Interestingly enough, Pro Football Focus graded him as the 36th best tackle last season, which they note as average (out of 83 OTs who started at least 6 games in 2017).

- I don't want them to (cut him) but with the re-signing of James Hurst, it’s almost an inevitability at this point.

- At this point in time this would be a terrible decision.

- I’m a fan of good OL, something Howard has shown himself to be with us.

- Have to keep Howard unless the Ravens draft one in the first round IMO. He is an average right tackle, which is much better than anyone else on the roster and better than many other teams trot out.

=====
I am not ready to hand him the starting spot but if healthy, I have little doubt that he will win the spot over Haeg or Good.

Castonzo / Nelson / Kelly / Smith or Mewhort / Howard

Depth = Haeg, Good, Smith or Mewhort, Slausson, Bond

That is SUCH a better O-line than we fielded in 2017 it is not even funny.

With Luck being back, the mix'n'match nature of our offensive speciality positions and a good O-Line, our offense is going to be good.

Now, if the defense can just become somewhat average (which I am not expecting because our LBs or going to get ROCKED), we are cooking on oil.

Walk Worthy,
Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
I found a source that ranks right tackles. They ranked him 25th. The same source ranked Haeg at 31, so not much improvement. Their description said the following:

"He is big and physical and will play that way even in pass protection. However, Howard struggles with his lateral movement when he faces rushers with some wiggle to them. He is a mauler in the running game and sets a physical tone as a run-blocker."
Source?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:12 AM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
You overreact a lot. Ravens fans seemed disappointed to lose him, so I doubt he's as terrible as you describe.
Good tackles dont tend to bounce around the league a lot.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:19 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
From an article from Baltimorebeatdown.com on if they should release Austin Howard in order to save $3.000m in cap space.

- Interestingly enough, Pro Football Focus graded him as the 36th best tackle last season, which they note as average (out of 83 OTs who started at least 6 games in 2017).

- I don't want them to (cut him) but with the re-signing of James Hurst, it’s almost an inevitability at this point.

- At this point in time this would be a terrible decision.

- I’m a fan of good OL, something Howard has shown himself to be with us.

- Have to keep Howard unless the Ravens draft one in the first round IMO. He is an average right tackle, which is much better than anyone else on the roster and better than many other teams trot out.

=====
I am not ready to hand him the starting spot but if healthy, I have little doubt that he will win the spot over Haeg or Good.

Castonzo / Nelson / Kelly / Smith or Mewhort / Howard

Depth = Haeg, Good, Smith or Mewhort, Slausson, Bond

That is SUCH a better O-line than we fielded in 2017 it is not even funny.

With Luck being back, the mix'n'match nature of our offensive speciality positions and a good O-Line, our offense is going to be good.

Now, if the defense can just become somewhat average (which I am not expecting because our LBs or going to get ROCKED), we are cooking on oil.

Walk Worthy,
Best line since 2006.

I’m not writing off the ability of the new LBs yet. I actually think they’ll be a decent improvement over 2017. Whether that’s “good” or merely “below average” is hard to know at this point.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
No they do not.

But solid, average and dependable ones do because every GM/HC believes that they can upgrade on them. They find someone younger or higher drafted and the solid and average guy goes by the wayside. But that does not mean that they cannot still come in and give solid to good play with a new team.

And given the state of our O-Line the last 6 years, I will take solid / good play over what we have sometimes seen every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

We just need RT to be solid to good as our rookies develop. I would have been good with the winner of Haeg/Good at RT for 2018. I am therefore significantly better with the winner of Howard/Haeg/Good at RT for 2018 because I think Howard is a better player than the other two. 87 games started at RT since 2012. That is a big number.

I like the signing.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (05-10-2018), Spike (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Average ones do, though. If there are 4 above average starters and 1 average starter on the OL, that's a huge improvement over last year's unit and not even the most fervent "fix the OL" advocates can argue that it hasn't been addressed adequately.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
sherck (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I could see us drafting OT in the 1st next year and then move Castonzo to the right after another season. Should be better candidates at OT in next years draft.
There are too many good DL in next year's draft for the Colts to not get a DL next year. They need a pass rush, and I don't think they currently have the guys who can provide one.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Seems like a fine signing. He will probably start. He can be upgraded. But that ship sailed for this year. I'm happy to not rely on Good, Haeg, and Clark at RT.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
sherck (05-10-2018)