ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 12:57 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
I expected us to win more than 3 games, which is what we're on pace for.
Healthy, they might have
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:44 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Fair enough. Just frustrated with what seems like a lot of underachievement this season.

The best lineman just played his first game of the year.
Don't even get me started on the merrygoround the O line has been
The QB hadn't practiced in 20 months
No stud RB
Only TY as a viable pass thread
A rush the passer by committee
Not one vet LB worth much
The most athletic S with a blown ACL
A gang of misfits at the corners
the other S always down with an injury

WHAT were your expectations?
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:58 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post

The best lineman just played his first game of the year.
Don't even get me started on the merrygoround the O line has been
The QB hadn't practiced in 20 months
No stud RB
Only TY as a viable pass thread
A rush the passer by committee
Not one vet LB worth much
The most athletic S with a blown ACL
A gang of misfits at the corners
the other S always down with an injury

WHAT were your expectations?
Except TY is also out,I agree with you.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

I saw a stat on Twitter yesterday that Brissett led 25 TD drives in total last year. Luck has led 17 already this year.

This year's 1-5 team would beat last year's 2-4 team by 20+ points easily.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Just frustrated with what seems like a lot of underachievement this season.
They are not significantly underachieving from what should have been expected this season. In the short term, excluding the change at QB with Luck’s return, the roster is simply worse than last years roster. And it’s significantly less experienced. The coaching is also inexperienced (in their current roles) and hasn’t been above scrutiny, but the biggest issue is that they are simply a talent deficient and inexperienced team. Throw in a large number of early injuries and they are right around what should be expected for the path Ballard has chosen. You hope they start to show better the second half of the season as things, hopefully, start to gel.

Last edited by rm1369; 10-15-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I saw a stat on Twitter yesterday that Brissett led 25 TD drives in total last year. Luck has led 17 already this year.

This year's 1-5 team would beat last year's 2-4 team by 20+ points easily.
Not if Luck gave them 20+ points off turnovers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Indystu2

Yes, this whole thing is very frustrating to watch. No doubt. Yes, this is a rebuilding ball club. What really gets to me is the time it takes to get a solid team to go with a stud QB. It could be year 9 or 10 into Luck's career before it all comes together.

Stu
Old 10-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Not if Luck gave them 20+ points off turnovers.
I take it by Luck, you mean Mack and Turbin, right?

I love the hills you die on, Dam: that Pagano is a good coach and Luck is the issue. You really are a national treasure.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Butter (10-15-2018), Colts And Orioles (10-15-2018), Coltsalr (10-16-2018), nate505 (10-15-2018), Oldcolt (10-15-2018), Racehorse (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
They are not significantly underachieving from what should have been expected this season. In the short term, excluding the change at QB with Luck’s return, the roster is simply worse than last years roster. And it’s significantly less experienced. The coaching is also inexperienced (in their current roles) and hasn’t been above scrutiny, but the biggest issue is that they are simply a talent deficient and inexperienced team. Throw in a large number of early injuries and they are right around what should be expected for the path Ballard has chosen. You hope they start to show better the second half of the season as things, hopefully, start to gel.
I absolutely disagree with this. This roster is better than last year, even excluding Luck. On offense last year, we were ranked somewhere around 29th-31st depending upon the stat utilized for the measurement (points per game, yards per game, etc.). This year we are mid-pack, somewhere between 10th and 17th depending upon the stat you look at. I realize Luck has a lot to do with this, but I’m not sure how you remove him and come up with any sort of reliable conclusion. I’ll just say this: last year we had Dante Moncrief and Kamar Aiken as our 2nd and 3rd WRs, who together accounted for 91 catches and 2 TDs between them. This year’s 2nd and 3rd receivers, Ryan Grant and Chester Rodgers, despite the drops, are on pace for 144 catches and 5.3 TD catches. Now, you can complain that we didn’t resign Moncreif, but that would be ironic because you’d have been hard pressed to find support for that idea this offseason, when Jacksonville paid him $10 million. Oh, we also didn’t have Ebron, who is on pace for 16 TD receptions this year.

Please demonstrate to me that more than half of the players on this year’s offense are worse than their counterpart last year – I think you’d have a hard time identifying more than 1 or 2.

On defense, which is largely unaffected by Luck’s presence (and yes, I realize the offense can impact how often the defense is on the field), we are ranked in the mid-20s even after the last two high scoring games. Last year, by contrast, we were in the high 20s or low 30s depending upon the stat. We are averaging 3.2 sacks and 1.7 turnovers per game this year, versus 1.6 sacks and 1.25 turnovers last year. We are also younger, cheaper and have significantly more upside than last year’s squad.

Again, please demonstrate to me that more than half the defensive players are worse this year than last.

The only possible argument that last year’s team was better is the team record – 2-4 vs. 1-5. But we’ve all seen the games involved, and I can’t imagine last year’s team would be any better than 1-5 with this year's schedule (they may have beaten the Jets, but we should have this year as well).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Puck (10-15-2018), ukcolt (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I take it by Luck, you mean Mack and Turbin, right?

I love the hills you die on, Dam: that Pagano is a good coach and Luck is the issue. You really are a national treasure.
I'm not saying Luck is the sole issue, but Peyton Manning had the same issue Luck is having now before Dungy came along. Dungy and his staff taught him the importance of ball security, and he went from really good quarterback to 5 time NFL MVP. Also, the fact that you brought up Pagano in a discussion about Luck and ball security shows who's actually obsessed with Pagano.