ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
Kinda shocked to see we had zero rushing 1st downs. I know we never got our running game going but still...
On the opposite end, Jacoby was exceptional on 3rd down most of the game, and they were generally long 3rd downs this game. We had that really crappy stretch mid 4th Q that hurt that momentum but until then he was fantastic at finding the right guy to get the 1st down and keep drives alive.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Houston has one of the best run d’s in the league. With Clowney gone they are better. We weren’t going to run on them today. We needed to pass to win. Still Mack was a few shoe strings away from breaking one. I like Mack but just don’t think he is elite, wonder what a elite back would do behind this line.

Jacoby looked pretty good, sans that bad fumble. His underneath game needs a little more work though, some more touch on those short throws. Big armed QBs often have that issue. RBs aren’t going to catch missiles. I also want him to speed up his reads. Still he is safe with the ball and makes decent decisions. I wonder what he will look like next year. Will he progress? Still a good day and what he needed.

We need to find a second receiver to our next to TY. TY is nearing the end of his career and never really had a running mate except for Reggie for a bit. I wonder how Funchess will look when he gets back.

This team beat a good Houston team. I think they are a better team than last year. It was a good solid win.
The Colts really missed Funchess in the 4th quarter yesterday. Hilton and the other receivers aren't going to consistently beat press quickly enough in zero blitz and cover 1 situations. The Texans were throwing the kitchen sink at Brissett and the OL at times in the 4th and the Colts needed a guy like Funchess who can win quickly due to his size and strength.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (10-21-2019), Chromeburn (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
On the opposite end, Jacoby was exceptional on 3rd down most of the game, and they were generally long 3rd downs this game. We had that really crappy stretch mid 4th Q that hurt that momentum but until then he was fantastic at finding the right guy to get the 1st down and keep drives alive.
See my comment above related to the 4th quarter. This offense won't always miss Funchess, but that's one of the situations where they really need him back. The Colts would've iced that game with 10 minutes to spare if they had Funchess.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
See my comment above related to the 4th quarter. This offense won't always miss Funchess, but that's one of the situations where they really need him back. The Colts would've iced that game with 10 minutes to spare if they had Funchess.
I agree with that which sort of highlights the fact that Cain is a ghost at present. He's a bigger guy but apparently can't run a 5 yard slant and get his body between QB and DB I guess- which Funchess certainly can.

On the radio this morning they said to expect to hear about Funchess in limited practice this week gearing up for a return against Jags off IR. Man I hope so.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Hell, was he even on the field?
He was on the field for 30+ snaps. Apparently it’s a route running and trust issue. Cain is just going to have to work on his game and build that chemistry with Jacoby.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Their secondary was highly depleted and their front 7 is incredibly stout. I was actually impressed with the offense's ability to completely adapt and attack the opposing defense's weakness, which they also did against Kansas City.
Right, we attacked their weakness, which is what I think we should do. One dimensional teams get shut down. Opposing teams need to worry what we will do and that we are capable of being multi-dimensional. It will just make our running game that much better. Jacoby has a few more games like this one and teams will be worrying about the pass just as much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
He was on the field for 30+ snaps. Apparently it’s a route running and trust issue. Cain is just going to have to work on his game and build that chemistry with Jacoby.
From what I've seen on the All 22's, Cain isn't getting open often enough.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM
Post whore

Quote:
The Colts really missed Funchess in the 4th quarter yesterday. Hilton and the other receivers aren't going to consistently beat press quickly enough in zero blitz and cover 1 situations. The Texans were throwing the kitchen sink at Brissett and the OL at times in the 4th and the Colts needed a guy like Funchess who can win quickly due to his size and strength.
Yup, that’s likely where JB goes in press man situations for those 50/50 balls. Funchess is still an unknown to me, I just want to see him on the field. If he can be that contested ball receiver I will be pretty happy with the offense overall.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 PM
Post whore

Quote:
From what I've seen on the All 22's, Cain isn't getting open often enough.
To me, that’s route running. Making your routes look the same until your cut. Doing little fakes to throw off the corner. Also just coming off a knee injury, he may still lack confidence in his agility. I’m just not expecting a ton from Cain. It’s rare for rookie WR to do well, that’s why what Terry Maclaurin is doing in Washington is so impressive. I wanted to draft that kid, he tore up the senior bowl.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 01:36 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
To me, that’s route running. Making your routes look the same until your cut. Doing little fakes to throw off the corner. Also just coming off a knee injury, he may still lack confidence in his agility. I’m just not expecting a ton from Cain. It’s rare for rookie WR to do well, that’s why what Terry Maclaurin is doing in Washington is so impressive. I wanted to draft that kid, he tore up the senior bowl.
Exactly... it's rather rare for a rookie WR to put up strong #s... some dont really get going until year 3.

27 receptions 345 yards. 0 TDs who did this rookie season belong to?

None other than Reggie Wayne.