ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-01-2023, 11:05 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts
Default Zach Hicks

Zach Hicks over at Horseshoe Huddle has been doing a nice series on how mobile running QBs can help an offense. He calls it his +1 Quarterback. He had one article on how they may (probably will) use Richardson's feet by running in an empty backfield:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/co...ony-richardson

and one today on how important avoiding sacs can be:

https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/1-...ony-richardson

Interesting football stuff at a time when there is almost zilch to talk about
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 12:48 PM

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,554 Posts

I would like to know what actually qualifies as a "running quarterback"? Is it someone who has the ability to run like Josh Allen and Patrick MaHomes, or does it have to be someone that uses runs as a significant part of their offense, like LaMar Jackson or Jalen Hurts?

Over the past 40 years the best QBs in the NFL were not running QBs, I'm thinking people like Montana, Young, Peyton, Brady, Marino, Favre, Aikman, Rodgers, and I am sure I am missing several others. Personally, I am not convinced that "running QBs" are the new improved NFL, a few teams of late have had success and so everyone is now convinced that if the QB doesn't have running as a main part of their offense, they are not elite or can't be the league MVP!
Oldcolt (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 01:05 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I think Hick's point is not that this is what AR will be long term (the running portion). He seems to believe that AR's ability to run will get him on the field earlier because it makes the defense be 11 on 11 rather than 10 on 11. As AR progresses his legs become less important. Injuries and age always take away that portion of your game eventually (running) but when you are young it can provide another way to attack defenses. The ability to avoid the rush is huge and AR seems to have that in abundance-something he can count on for his entire career I would think. It is a lot of speculation but it will be interesting to see if Hicks has hit on something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-01-2023)