ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
So Nyheim Hines's TD run was the result of the playcall? Eric Ebron's TD catch was all about the playcall? TY Hilton's big gain at the end of the first quarter was the playcall? What you and everyone else refuse to understand for some reason is that players still have to execute. A playcall cannot create a result, because schemes can be designed and work perfectly to give a player an opportunity, and that player can still completely blow their assignment. Similarly, a playcall can break down completely and the play still yield a huge positive gain thanks to the efforts of the players. The players determine the results on the field in almost every case.

I see it more like telling you or Omaha to stop holding GMs accountable. How can one stop what they never started?
Nyheim Hines' TD is the result of playing Nyheim Hines, and not handing the ball to Frank Gore up the middle a billion times. (Frank Gore doesn't get a TD there.)

TY Hilton's big plays came off a screen -- which clearly was drilled in practice and executed to perfection; can't recall a successful bubble screen in the Pagano era -- and a rub route, which Pagano never really saw fit to ever install conceptually in the offense.

You're going to lose the argument every time if you look to the offensive side of the ball. Pagano entirely and continually minimized the talent of his roster on that end. The jury is still out on Reich, but so far, he looks to be maximizing it by getting the ball in the hands of playmakers (Hilton/Hines/Ebron/etc.) continually while not falling victim to predictability.

Instead of, you know, like a dozen Frank Gore wildcat carries because Gore has GRIT.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
The way they use TY Hilton is the biggest thing from the coaches, and I primarily mean Reich, so far. We have all been calling for it for, what, 4 years, and they are finally doing it. No, he is not doing everything downfield, as is traditionally his best attribute. But they are using his speed and finding him a way to get him the ball. The drag routes, bunch formations......My God, some Colts coach has been watching football in the last 10 years and knows how to run these finally and use them to get the ball to the fastest guy on the team!! TY Hilton is no longer just shut out of the game if teams stop the vertical passing game. He can actually do other things.
Not only a coaching staff aware of his strengths, but his weaknesses. Yes, you can jam Hilton. You know how to beat that? Stacks and rubs. So this coaching staff does that. Pagano/Chudzinski would never have dreamed of that.

Sometimes coaching is as much about erasing or minimizing known weaknesses as it is playing to strengths.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Chaka (09-17-2018), Coltsalr (09-17-2018), DrSpaceman (09-17-2018), sherck (09-17-2018), YDFL Commish (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Also team is running the hurry up not just when they are down by 3 scores, but as a change of pace and to keep the defense on the field, not giving them time

The one concerning thing about the offense is the strong first half starts, but then the 3rd quarter has been awful both games. I think they did score once in the 3rd vs the Bengals, but had lots of 3 and outs and short drives in the second half.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
GoBigBlue88 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

I was impressed with leonard and wilkins.

biggest take away for me was actually enjoying watching colts football again. even in the loss last week, it was nice to see a modern nfl team rather than that uninspiring shit show we have had recently.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
JAFF (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Also team is running the hurry up not just when they are down by 3 scores, but as a change of pace and to keep the defense on the field, not giving them time

The one concerning thing about the offense is the strong first half starts, but then the 3rd quarter has been awful both games. I think they did score once in the 3rd vs the Bengals, but had lots of 3 and outs and short drives in the second half.
Yeah, that's gotta stop. OL has been problematic in 3rd quarter in particular, but larger issue is run game seems to disappear.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:08 PM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

Quote:
The offensive playcalling has improved drastically, which is no surprise given that Reich was an offensive coach for a very innovative offense last year and Pagano was too conservative offensively.
How can you not see the difference on defense?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:30 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
How can you not see the difference on defense?
I see the difference in the talent and team speed on the defensive roster. Leonard is clearly a playmaker that this team lacked in 2017.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I see the difference in the talent and team speed on the defensive roster. Leonard is clearly a playmaker that this team lacked in 2017.
Aren't you one of the clowns who said our roster was worse under Ballard?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Aren't you one of the clowns who said our roster was worse under Ballard?
I am one of those. And still think that
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
rm1369 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I am one of those. And still think that
So, coaching matters, because Pags would not have pulled off this win.