ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,606 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
But we have no talent, according to Dam. Wait, that's you. Contradict yourself much?
No, I recognize the value of a franchise QB and the death spiral that happens with consistent 3 and outs on offense.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 AM

Thanked 4,372 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
No, I recognize the value of a franchise QB and the death spiral that happens with consistent 3 and outs on offense that are cause by poor coaching, whether that occurs on the sidelines or at halftime when most coaches make good adjustments instead of the bad ones that our coach makes.
For once, I almost agreed with you. I had to add in the truth to do so, however.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Post whore

Quote:
For once, I almost agreed with you. I had to add in the truth to do so, however.
This is the fundamental disagreement we have, I think. You seem to think things like a QB overthrowing a ball, a receiver or tight end dropping a pass, or an OL not making a good enough block are on coaching, which means in your world players bear no responsibility to execute the responsibilities of their position. I disagree with that entirely. It is the QB's job to throw the ball accurately, it is the receiver's job to catch the ball, and it is the OL's job to make their blocks well enough to allow the skill players to execute their responsibilities. If they're not doing that, they need replaced, but unfortunately it's nigh impossible to do that midseason.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
This is the fundamental disagreement we have, I think. You seem to think things like a QB overthrowing a ball, a receiver or tight end dropping a pass, or an OL not making a good enough block are on coaching, which means in your world players bear no responsibility to execute the responsibilities of their position. I disagree with that entirely. It is the QB's job to throw the ball accurately, it is the receiver's job to catch the ball, and it is the OL's job to make their blocks well enough to allow the skill players to execute their responsibilities. If they're not doing that, they need replaced, but unfortunately it's nigh impossible to do that midseason.

As I mentioned in my previous post my fundamental disagreement is you over emphasize the accountability of the talent and underemphasize the accountability of the coaching. Both are true and are grave issues for this franchise. For example from the Titans game:

1. Moncrief dropped a catch for a touchdown that was a perfect ball right in his hands with very little pressure from the defender. It is Inexcusable that he cost his team points. His contract is due next year. We have seen enough. He should be held to account and should NOT be signed. Further, according to Doyle, he skipped out of the locker room so fast after the game they were searching for him to interview him and he was nowhere to be found. He's a self centered punk who is not a good team mate. Done

2. Our coaches put our best offensive asset (Hilton) in a bunch formation exactly once where he gained 19 yards yet failed to replicate that sensible/obvious design to thwart the Titans bracket. There are dozens of scheme issues, clock management isssues, and roster selection issues over the course of 6 years that this leadership team has made with unacceptable result and they must be held to account and fired at the end of the season.

It's not that hard.....it's not players or coaching. It's players AND coaching. But you can't ignore the coaching incompetence. To do so diminishes your credibility.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (10-18-2017), Racehorse (10-18-2017), smitty46953 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:57 AM

Thanked 4,372 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
It is the responsibility of the coach to correct those things. Instead, players get a clap and a pat on the backside. If he seemed to have an inkling of how to even start doing his job right, we would still support him.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post my fundamental disagreement is you over emphasize the accountability of the talent and underemphasize the accountability of the coaching. Both are true and are grave issues for this franchise. For example from the Titans game:

1. Moncrief dropped a catch for a touchdown that was a perfect ball right in his hands with very little pressure from the defender. It is Inexcusable that he cost his team points. His contract is due next year. We have seen enough. He should be held to account and should NOT be signed. Further, according to Doyle, he skipped out of the locker room so fast after the game they were searching for him to interview him and he was nowhere to be found. He's a self centered punk who is not a good team mate. Done

2. Our coaches put our best offensive asset (Hilton) in a bunch formation exactly once where he gained 19 yards yet failed to replicate that sensible/obvious design to thwart the Titans bracket. There are dozens of scheme issues, clock management isssues, and roster selection issues over the course of 6 years that this leadership team has made with unacceptable result and they must be held to account and fired at the end of the season.

It's not that hard.....it's not players or coaching. It's players AND coaching. But you can't ignore the coaching incompetence. To do so diminishes your credibility.
Of course the coaching bears some responsibility, just usually nowhere near the degree of responsibility most posters on this board want to claim. For example, everyone here wants to say that because the Titans were successful blitzing that the coaching staff failed to adjust to that. The reality is that the coaches called plays that would've beat the blitz in the second half, but the players (Brissett mainly) didn't execute. I know coaches and QBs get bigger shares of credit for wins and blame for losses than is deserved, but you guys take the coaches and blame part way too far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
apballin (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Post whore

Quote:
It is the responsibility of the coach to correct those things. Instead, players get a clap and a pat on the backside. If he seemed to have an inkling of how to even start doing his job right, we would still support him.
What is he supposed to do if Brissett consistently fails to execute in the second half? Put Tolzien in? Sure, he can tell him not to overthrow it, go over mechanics with him, practice it more during the week, etc., but ultimately, if Brissett is going to overthrow a ball in a situation, he's going to do that, and that's on him, because the coaching staff can't go out and their the ball for him. Sometimes the coaching staff doesn't have a good option.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:29 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Sometimes the coaching staff doesn't have a good option.
This staff has not just a good option, they have a great option- quit!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,134 Times in 642 Posts

Brissett consistently chokes in the 2nd Half that's the issue
Old 10-19-2017, 10:32 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Brissett consistently chokes in the 2nd Half that's the issue
Ok...Dam's mom.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-19-2017), omahacolt (10-20-2017), Racehorse (10-20-2017)