ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck View Post
Not everyone is superstitious... I have been to 5 Colts games and they have won all 5. But no way I believe I'm the reason lol
You must go to every game now! EVERY GAME!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (12-19-2018), southside asshole (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:27 PM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
Denver being in the AFC, I'm all for this move. Only thing that would be better would be him going to Jax, Houston, or Tennessee. Or the Pats.

And although I am very happy that we've moved on from Chuck and ecstatic that we Lucked (heh) into Reich, I feel that this needs to be put out there:

All-Time Colts Head Coaching Wins

Dungy - 85
Shula - 71
Marchibroda - 71 **
Ewbank - 59
Pagano - 56

** In two stints

All-Time Colts Head Coaching Win Percentage

Dungy - .759
Shula - .725
McCafferty - .667
Pagano - .552

And no, it's not like he inherited all of Dungy's talent. That would be Jim Caldwell you are thinking of.

Of course, you would have to factor in the Bruce Arians factor, which I'm not sure how to calculate. And yes, the team got consistently worse and worse.

Again, I'm not a fan of Pagano, but he was FAR from the worst coach in franchise history. Go ahead and blast me. I can't believe those numbers myself.

However, as someone once said, you are what your record says you are.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Thanked 4,362 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
Denver being in the AFC, I'm all for this move. Only thing that would be better would be him going to Jax, Houston, or Tennessee. Or the Pats.

And although I am very happy that we've moved on from Chuck and ecstatic that we Lucked (heh) into Reich, I feel that this needs to be put out there:

All-Time Colts Head Coaching Wins

Dungy - 85
Shula - 71
Marchibroda - 71 **
Ewbank - 59
Pagano - 56

** In two stints

All-Time Colts Head Coaching Win Percentage

Dungy - .759
Shula - .725
McCafferty - .667
Pagano - .552

And no, it's not like he inherited all of Dungy's talent. That would be Jim Caldwell you are thinking of.

Of course, you would have to factor in the Bruce Arians factor, which I'm not sure how to calculate. And yes, the team got consistently worse and worse.

Again, I'm not a fan of Pagano, but he was FAR from the worst coach in franchise history. Go ahead and blast me. I can't believe those numbers myself.

However, as someone once said, you are what your record says you are.
Dam hacked your account
Spike (12-19-2018), TheMugwump (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:47 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

A look at his division record vs. teams outside the division is all you need to see. The AFC South was incredibly weak during the Grigson/Pagano era.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
DrSpaceman (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:53 PM

Thanked 4,362 Times in 2,509 Posts

As a serious follow-up, I think it was Cowherd who said, speaking of the Steelers, that momentum of a franchise is a real thing and Tomlin was beneficiary of the momentum of the franchise under Bill Cowher. He went on to say that he was successful the first five years because of the momentum, but after that, momentum was lost and they are in a downward spiral.

Pagano benefited from the Dungy momentum, and spiraled down even faster than Tomlin has. You could say Caldwell slowed the momentum, but, either way, Pagano put the brakes on it. Reich is building positive momentum that we hope will last a decade or more.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-.../1324262467557

As Ed says, the future is bright!

Last edited by Racehorse; 12-19-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
A Pagano coached team would go into halftime up 17-7 on the Giants and all of us would know it was not going to be enough... The Giants would come back and win 24-23.

I'm guessing we win 21-10. We should win by an even larger margin, but I expect we see the colts vs Dallas team again... heavy pass defense, make them run the ball, stop them in the red zone.
You want to force them to run with Saquan Barkley rather than pass with Eli Manning? Put 8 in the box and make a declining Eli beat you, because that would be very difficult for him. Barkley could turn it into a track meet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
JAFF (12-19-2018), Racehorse (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck View Post
Not everyone is superstitious... I have been to 5 Colts games and they have won all 5. But no way I believe I'm the reason lol
In the Super Bowl year I got my Bob Sanders jersey autographed and ended up ruining it by the end of the year because the Colts were something absurd like 12-0 when I wore it on game day, including the AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:50 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
In the Super Bowl year I got my Bob Sanders jersey autographed and ended up ruining it by the end of the year because the Colts were something absurd like 12-0 when I wore it on game day, including the AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl.
You are a good man
Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
As a serious follow-up, I think it was Cowherd who said, speaking of the Steelers, that momentum of a franchise is a real thing and Tomlin was beneficiary of the momentum of the franchise under Bill Cowher. He went on to say that he was successful the first five years because of the momentum, but after that, momentum was lost and they are in a downward spiral.

Pagano benefited from the Dungy momentum, and spiraled down even faster than Tomlin has. You could say Caldwell slowed the momentum, but, either way, Pagano put the brakes on it. Reich is building positive momentum that we hope will last a decade or more.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-.../1324262467557

As Ed says, the future is bright!
In defense of Tomlin, who I think gets unfairly criticized by a franchise and fans with very high expectations, momentum from a prior head coach does not last 5 years in the NFL. A year, maybe two, not five

Five years is an ETERNITY in the NFL, especially when you consider the average NFL player is in the league 4 years.

Tomlin may benefit from other parts of the Pitt organization, like the front office, owner, overall philosophy, etc. That is different than "momentum" from the prior head coach though.

Also the reality is Cowher got incredibly lucky on his Superbowl run in 2006, in so many ways. We know that firsthand.

Carson Palmer gets injured in first quarter vs. Steelers, they beat a back up

they outplayed the Colts in the playoffs, but they catch a great Colts team, probably the best since they have been in Indy, on a down week with Dungy's son just having committed suicide shortly before the playoffs. The horrible AV miss to tie. The phantom tackle by Roethlisberger on what should have been a defensive TD return.

That Superbowl, the refs basically handed it to them with horrible calls.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
In defense of Tomlin, who I think gets unfairly criticized by a franchise and fans with very high expectations, momentum from a prior head coach does not last 5 years in the NFL. A year, maybe two, not five

Five years is an ETERNITY in the NFL, especially when you consider the average NFL player is in the league 4 years.

Tomlin may benefit from other parts of the Pitt organization, like the front office, owner, overall philosophy, etc. That is different than "momentum" from the prior head coach though.

Also the reality is Cowher got incredibly lucky on his Superbowl run in 2006, in so many ways. We know that firsthand.

Carson Palmer gets injured in first quarter vs. Steelers, they beat a back up

they outplayed the Colts in the playoffs, but they catch a great Colts team, probably the best since they have been in Indy, on a down week with Dungy's son just having committed suicide shortly before the playoffs. The horrible AV miss to tie. The phantom tackle by Roethlisberger on what should have been a defensive TD return.

That Superbowl, the refs basically handed it to them with horrible calls.
I think that was the A-hole Mike Vanderjagt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChileColts For This Useful Post:
ATrain (12-22-2018), JAFF (12-19-2018)