ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 04:56 PM

Default Matt Eberflus vs. Cowboys

Since Eberflus was just last year coaching for the Cowboys, does this influence the upcoming game vs. Dallas? Help the offense or the defense?

I think Eberflus has been great this year and have even seen his name mentioned as one of the head coaching candidates for next year when the inevitable firings take place in 3 weeks.

I think he is probably a year or two away from that happening, but you never know

McDaniels really did us a favor. I truly think he, or the Pats, was just trying to screw over the Colts because now I hear his name seriously being thrown around as the Packers next coach. IF he takes that job, its pretty clear, that whole thing last year was a charade to try and screw over this organization.

In the end though the joke is on him and the Pats because he actually helped hire a great D coordinator that would otherwise probably not have come here and allowed the Colts to wait and hire Reich.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Since Eberflus was just last year coaching for the Cowboys, does this influence the upcoming game vs. Dallas? Help the offense or the defense?

I think Eberflus has been great this year and have even seen his name mentioned as one of the head coaching candidates for next year when the inevitable firings take place in 3 weeks.

I think he is probably a year or two away from that happening, but you never know

McDaniels really did us a favor. I truly think he, or the Pats, was just trying to screw over the Colts because now I hear his name seriously being thrown around as the Packers next coach. IF he takes that job, its pretty clear, that whole thing last year was a charade to try and screw over this organization.

In the end though the joke is on him and the Pats because he actually helped hire a great D coordinator that would otherwise probably not have come here and allowed the Colts to wait and hire Reich.
On the subject of the evil empire and their court jester, I have no comment. As to whether or not the Marinelli/Cowboys relationship has an advantage for either side...I would say mostly no.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:31 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

mcdaniels is a douche and I am happy we ended up with reich.

I dont think it was part of some master plan by NE just to screw with us. maybe icing on the cake that it was the colts vs some other team. i think they didnt want to disrupt the offense and convinced him to stay with some promises.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

I don’t think his familiarity with the cowboys will help all that much.

That said, I think eberflus has been fantastic this year
Old 12-10-2018, 06:05 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I like Eberflus and wish people would tone down the HC talk FFS. He's probably the best DC we've had since that guy from the Broncos in 2009, the one Polian overruled and made us go back to the shitty Tampa 2. I like the way he uses the front 7 (or 6, really, since we often only use 2 LBs). It's nice to see effective stunts on the DL, Teerlinck's stunts were garbage. I was a little skeptical of the Marinelli-style DL but I can't gripe about it much at this point. I think we're one blue-chip pass rusher away from a top DL. Lots of good complimentary rushers that can get hot and ruin a drive.

I don't think Leonard or Walker become the players they have, not even close, without Eberflus. I like the way he uses Geathers. I still don't care for some of the situational coverages, and sometimes I don't like the way he uses Hooker/the FS, but I've come to think some of Hooker's issues are injury-related.

Maybe he will have some familiarity with how to best attack Prescott and get him rattled but I don't expect to shut down the Cowboys. With Cooper and Elliot playing well they are hard to stop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Butter (12-10-2018), southside asshole (12-13-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 07:05 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post

I was thinking about this today. If nothing else, he should be relatively familiar with Prescott, which can’t hurt.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:41 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
I was thinking about this today. If nothing else, he should be relatively familiar with Prescott, which can’t hurt.
At the same time, I suppose it could be said that Prescott should also be familiar with Eberflus’s scheme, so who knows?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Interesting - Holder published an article yesterday that seems to indicate that Ballard was the one interested in hiring Eberflus as the DC - that he was asking people during the interview process for the Head Coach position if they would work with Eberflus. Holder said that if the interviewee was a defense minded coach and wanted to bring along another coach they had previously worked with, that Eberflus might not have been hired. But if the interviewee was an offense coach, Ballard was suggesting Eberflus for DC.

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/st...44380229242880

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/st...72921460584448
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-12-2018), sherck (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Having a coach go against his old team is a huge advantage. He knows the inherent weaknesses to attack better than anyone. There have been plenty of examples to back this up. I like our odds in this one.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Interesting - Holder published an article yesterday that seems to indicate that Ballard was the one interested in hiring Eberflus as the DC - that he was asking people during the interview process for the Head Coach position if they would work with Eberflus. Holder said that if the interviewee was a defense minded coach and wanted to bring along another coach they had previously worked with, that Eberflus might not have been hired. But if the interviewee was an offense coach, Ballard was suggesting Eberflus for DC.

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/st...44380229242880

https://twitter.com/HolderStephen/st...72921460584448
I have been wondering about this lately. Was there anyone specifically that the snake wanted and is now on our staff. Seems a bit muddled when trying to find info.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 12-12-2018 at 02:46 PM.