ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-19-2018, 07:47 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Nor do stupid people who intentionally dumb down arguments and completely lose their meaning in the process.
If the players executed it wouldn’t be an issue.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,268 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote:

Both are huge right now. Being 8-3-1 going into Houston should they beat Miami and Jacksonville instead of 7-5 would give them a shot at the division lead in that game no matter what else happened. Still surprised you guys didn't lambaste Reich for that 4th down decision, but I guess you're in the honeymoon phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

He wasn’t lambasted because it was an understandable decision for an aggressive coach who wants to build a winning mentality.

If you criticize him for that decision, you’d also have to criticize his other aggressive decisions like going for it on other 4th down situations (most of which have been successful) or, most recently, his decision to go for 2 in the third quarter of the JAX game when we were ahead by 14 - a decision which worked and ultimately preserved our 3 point lead at the end of the game, ensuring that JAX could not win by just getting a FG - and probably impacting their decision making on the last pivotal drive.

o

I don't think that those critiques are necessarily mutually inclusive and/or exclusive.

I have made it clear on numerous occasions that I love Reich and the magnificent improvement over the Colts' previous coach (Chuck Pagano) while simultaneously asserting that that specific decision to go for it on 4th down with only 29 seconds left to play in overtime was not prudent, particularly that early in the season when it is (was) not yet clear as to whether or not the team would be vying for a playoff berth.

Being aggressive throughout the first 55 to 59 minutes of a game (and for the first 13 and-a-half-to-14 and-a-half minutes of an overtime period) does not preclude a coach from accepting the reality of a situation in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter (and/or overtime), and making a prudent decision because of that reality.

Overall, I am thrilled with Reich, particularly with the non-predictive nature of the play-calling on offense (which is the antithesis of what we saw during the Pagano regime from 2013 through 2017.)

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 11-20-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Both are huge right now. Being 8-3-1 going into Houston should they beat Miami and Jacksonville instead of 7-5 would give them a shot at the division lead in that game no matter what else happened. Still surprised you guys didn't lambaste Reich for that 4th down decision, but I guess you're in the honeymoon phase.
I am equally surprised that you are unable to see that that decision has been crucial in changing what folks refer to as the culture of the team. He showed them who he was and who they will be, a team unafraid of losing. It was huge for the development of the TEAM. I cannot see why you are blind to that. The change in attitude on this team is amazing. It didn't just happen, it was a brilliant move (from the perspective of culture building) by Reich and like everything in life it came with a cost. It is has been well worth it.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 11-19-2018 at 09:58 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (11-20-2018), Colts fan from BK (11-19-2018), Dewey 5 (11-20-2018), nate505 (11-20-2018), Pez (11-20-2018), Racehorse (11-20-2018), sherck (11-20-2018), Spike (11-19-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

If you’re one of the people starting to put W’s next to each week on the remaining schedule, consider that the truth about this team is somewhere between that Titans game and the Jets game. They could win any game...but they could also lose any game. Those kinds of teams very rarely are able to put together a 9-1 or 8-2 run like the Colts would need to make the playoffs.

On a related note, it will be interesting to see what adjustments the divisional opponents make in the second slate of games. I like what Reich has shown so far, but we’ll see if the good defenses in the AFC South can bounce back, especially at home.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 11-20-2018 at 02:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (11-26-2018), omahacolt (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,624 Times in 2,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I am equally surprised that you are unable to see that that decision has been crucial in changing what folks refer to as the culture of the team. He showed them who he was and who they will be, a team unafraid of losing. It was huge for the development of the TEAM. I cannot see why you are blind to that. The change in attitude on this team is amazing. It didn't just happen, it was a brilliant move (from the perspective of culture building) by Reich and like everything in life it came with a cost. It is has been well worth it.
Exactly, the game isn’t just stats and fantasy numbers. There is a reason people talk about culture and team building. It isn’t just for sound bytes and quotes in the paper. If anyone has had a good boss and a bad boss, who did you want to work for and why? Did you want to show up for work or show up for a paycheck? You can tell this team is having fun and is confident, believing in themselves. The difference in talent from team to team is not that huge. Guys are of similar weight, speed and strength. A lot of it comes down to discipline, mentality, preparation, and culture.

If they want to make the playoffs they control their destiny, win and things will work themselves out. But it’s not a honeymoon phase, it’s recognizing the coach has a strategy and philosophy and buying into that. Will it always work out? No. They call it the process, but it is simply buying in, working hard and keep working at it and things will turn around. This team bought in, i am fine with sacrificing a tie in order to get there. If their season comes down to one play, they don’t deserve to be in the playoffs yet. And I do t want a team that barely reaches the playoffs, I want a team that reaches the Super Bowl.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 11-20-2018 at 01:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-20-2018), TheMugwump (11-20-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

6-5. 5 to go..... 10-6 very possible. But I think 11-5 is definitely A possibility

13 Dec 02 IND @ JAX TIAA Bank Field 1:00 PM Tickets CBS

14 Dec 09 IND @ HOU NRG Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets CBS

15 Dec 16 DAL @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets FOX

16 Dec 23 NYG @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets TBD

17 Dec 30 IND @ TEN Nissan Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets
Old 11-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Post whore

How odd that we've already played all our home games against our division rivals. Going to be tough to win in Jacksonville, Houston, and Tennessee, but knowing Luck has done it before, we have a chance.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
If you’re one of the people starting to put W’s next to each week on the remaining schedule, consider that the truth about this team is somewhere between that Titans game and the Jets game. They could win any game...but they could also lose any game. Those kinds of teams very rarely are able to put together a 9-1 or 8-2 run like the Colts would need to make the playoffs.

On a related note, it will be interesting to see what adjustments the divisional opponents make in the second slate of games. I like what Reich has shown so far, but we’ll see if the good defenses in the AFC South can bounce back, especially at home.
Agreed. I predicted 8-8 at the beginning of the year and I still think that's most likely....maybe 9-7. I love this team and what they've accomplished. And most of all, I love that they are fun to watch again. However, opponents now have a lot of colts tape that they didn't have in the first 2/3 of the season and our division games + Cowboys will be tough. I think if we make the playoffs it will be as a wildcard. Regardless of what happens there, I will be satisfied. This is/was a rebuilding year and we are ahead of schedule.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:15 PM

Thanked 1,662 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
6-5. 5 to go..... 10-6 very possible. But I think 11-5 is definitely A possibility

13 Dec 02 IND @ JAX TIAA Bank Field 1:00 PM Tickets CBS

14 Dec 09 IND @ HOU NRG Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets CBS

15 Dec 16 DAL @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets FOX

16 Dec 23 NYG @ IND Lucas Oil Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets TBD

17 Dec 30 IND @ TEN Nissan Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets
All 3 of those road games may be a challenge, and we could end up anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
All 3 of those road games may be a challenge, and we could end up anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5.
looks like we will be facing kessler, not bortles, next game.