ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 AM

Thanked 1,896 Times in 923 Posts
Default Doyel on the same old Colts.

Interesting article. I hope he’s right and Reich and Co get better.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...02/#/questions
Old 09-10-2018, 09:14 AM

Yes the difference is this was the first game under a whole new group of coaches, not 5 years into a coach and this happening the same way week after week.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:00 AM

The coaching staff having issues to iron out is to be expected considering their inexperience as well. That’s much different than the Pagano regime. Two comments though:

1) A rookie head coach (with rookie coordinators) also calling plays certainly makes you wonder if it’s simply too much and will effect other areas. Something to keep an eye on.

2) I believe Luck mostly is who he is and it’s going to be hard as hell to eliminate those occasional WTF throws. But if you have a chance to eliminate them it would be by relieving some of the pressure of winning from him. He’ll have to learn that he doesn’t have to do it all for the team to win. For his career that hasn’t yet been true. It certainly won’t be this year, so I wouldn’t expect to see much of a change in that.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
The coaching staff having issues to iron out is to be expected considering their inexperience as well. That’s much different than the Pagano regime. Two comments though:

1) A rookie head coach (with rookie coordinators) also calling plays certainly makes you wonder if it’s simply too much and will effect other areas. Something to keep an eye on.

2) I believe Luck mostly is who he is and it’s going to be hard as hell to eliminate those occasional WTF throws. But if you have a chance to eliminate them it would be by relieving some of the pressure of winning from him. He’ll have to learn that he doesn’t have to do it all for the team to win. For his career that hasn’t yet been true. It certainly won’t be this year, so I wouldn’t expect to see much of a change in that.
I didn't notice this but Big Joe mentioned this morning that the 12 men on the field penalty was def a coaching mistake. Eberflus was frantically calling for the time out but apparently Frank was busy with the offensive guys and didn't realize he needed to call it. They've got to figure that shit out quick and I think they probably will.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
I didn't notice this but Big Joe mentioned this morning that the 12 men on the field penalty was def a coaching mistake. Eberflus was frantically calling for the time out but apparently Frank was busy with the offensive guys and didn't realize he needed to call it. They've got to figure that shit out quick and I think they probably will.
That wasn't really a huge penalty. I don't think it changed anything. Didn't it amount to just a few yards?

12 men happen, especially when the offense is in a hurry up.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:

At least we have a head coach that can do something besides stand there, clap and pat guys on the back after they make dumbass mistakes.

I'd rather Reich call the plays. Had very few problems with the choice of plays, except for a few where they went downfield on 3rd and short. Not sure if that was Reich or Luck though.

Manning early in his career through a lot of stupid INTs into coverage. He improved. Luck will too, I think. Especially if the running game improves so you don't have to go 3rd and long and if the D improves and not always playing to score 30 to win
Old 09-10-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
That wasn't really a huge penalty. I don't think it changed anything. Didn't it amount to just a few yards?

12 men happen, especially when the offense is in a hurry up.
No, it wasn't a huge deal this time. I just raise it as an example of a young coaching staff w/a hC calling plays AND being HC needing to grow into their new roles. That said, I'm a huge Frank Reich fan. I think he just may be an offensive genius and I am enjoying what I'm seeing so far.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
At least we have a head coach that can do something besides stand there, clap and pat guys on the back after they make dumbass mistakes.

I'd rather Reich call the plays. Had very few problems with the choice of plays, except for a few where they went downfield on 3rd and short. Not sure if that was Reich or Luck though.

Manning early in his career through a lot of stupid INTs into coverage. He improved. Luck will too, I think. Especially if the running game improves so you don't have to go 3rd and long and if the D improves and not always playing to score 30 to win
I agree on Reich calling plays. They just need to figure out how to make sure Reich is also handling his head coaching duties. I think they will. Just something to pay attention to early on I think.

The running game and D was kind of my point about Luck. Everyone including him know that he has to make plays to win. There is sometimes a fine line between great throw and stupid throw, although I’m not suggesting that was the case Sunday. That looked stupid all the way. I guess I’m just saying I don’t expect much improvement from Luck on that this year considering he has to make plays for them to win as currently constructed. With that said I still think Luck has a little more Brett Favre in him than Peyton Manning. Scary to say I know, but unfortunately I think it’s accurate.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
I agree on Reich calling plays. They just need to figure out how to make sure Reich is also handling his head coaching duties. I think they will. Just something to pay attention to early on I think.

The running game and D was kind of my point about Luck. Everyone including him know that he has to make plays to win. There is sometimes a fine line between great throw and stupid throw, although I’m not suggesting that was the case Sunday. That looked stupid all the way. I guess I’m just saying I don’t expect much improvement from Luck on that this year considering he has to make plays for them to win as currently constructed. With that said I still think Luck has a little more Brett Favre in him than Peyton Manning. Scary to say I know, but unfortunately I think it’s accurate.
Luck isn't manning. that is for sure. Favre is probably a good comparison but i think Luck is better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Colt Classic (09-10-2018), Racehorse (09-10-2018), rm1369 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 03:30 PM

While we're talking about coaching...

P Dorsett - 7 balls thrown to, 7 catches, 65 yards and a TD
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DragonTails For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (09-10-2018), Racehorse (09-10-2018), sherck (09-10-2018), smitty46953 (09-10-2018)