ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-21-2018, 02:03 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,618 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Colts fans have some really bad memories from the 2003 season AFC Championship game between the Colts and the Patriots.

This article was written just prior to the regular-season game that the 2 teams played against each other the following September (of the 2004 season.)

Hands Off for Patriots in Rematch With Colts

(By Judy Battista)

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/09/s...ith-colts.html

o
Was that the game he watered down the field too?
Old 11-21-2018, 07:40 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,268 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

Was that the game in which they watered down the field, too ???

o

I believe that you may be thinking of the 1982 AFC Championship game, when the Miami Dolphins groundskeepers failed to supply a tarpaulin for a field that was already soaking wet from the previous day's rainstorm.

No Excuse for Missing Tarpaulin

(By Dave Anderson)

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/24/s...tarpaulin.html

Incidentally, earlier that same season the Dolphins were the victims in "The Snowplow Game", a contest in which the Patriots (in Foxborough) had a convict that was on work furlough quickly drive onto the field with his snowplow to clear a spot for Patriots placekicker John Smith, who attempted (and made) what proved to be the game-winning field goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJHdopdW0o

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 11-21-2018, 09:19 AM

Thanked 4,386 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote:
o

I believe that you may be thinking of the 1982 AFC Championship game, when the Miami Dolphins groundskeepers failed to supply a tarpaulin for a field that was already soaking wet from the previous day's rainstorm.

No Excuse for Missing Tarpaulin

(By Dave Anderson)

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/24/s...tarpaulin.html

Incidentally, earlier that same season the Dolphins were the victims in "The Snowplow Game", a contest in which the Patriots (in Foxborough) had a convict that was on work furlough quickly drive onto the field with his snowplow to clear a spot for Patriots placekicker John Smith, who attempted (and made) what proved to be the game-winning field goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJHdopdW0o

o
No, he is referring to the time that BB thought it would be a good idea to slow down our speed by making the field soggy. It was not due to forgetting any tarp, but watered intentionally so as to make the ground soft and slow.
Chromeburn (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
The game is faster and there is more passing because the rule changes made it easier to throw the ball.
Manning was running the hurry up offense before all the rule changes made it easier to throw throw the ball.

And as mentioned, it wasn't really rule changes. They enforced the rules as they should have.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Maniac (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuck4Chuck View Post
Actually he did..49 was 2004 and Pollard caught 6 TDS

The year Pollard ran his mouth in the playoffs too I believe?
How many of those TD's came in that Thanksgiving game against Detroit?

Great memory that was.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:41 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Manning was running the hurry up offense before all the rule changes made it easier to throw throw the ball.

And as mentioned, it wasn't really rule changes. They enforced the rules as they should have.
And none of these guys doing it right now are of the caliber of Peyton Manning, yet they are still on pace for silly "Star Wars" numbers. It's almost as if there's a fundamental part of the game that has made it easier on QBs to put up huge stats.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:44 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post

How many times have you seen a running back penalized for leading with his helmet this year? All that really matters is whether or not a rule is enforced.

I shouldn't have referred to it as a "rules change," but that doesn't change my point that an NFL-mandated adjustment made it easier on the passing game, which has led to this inflation.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
And none of these guys doing it right now are of the caliber of Peyton Manning, yet they are still on pace for silly "Star Wars" numbers. It's almost as if there's a fundamental part of the game that has made it easier on QBs to put up huge stats.
I am not arguing that the guys now have an easier time than Manning did.

I am arguing that Manning was the innovator that made the hurry up offense, with QBs calling the plays at the line of scrimmage and managing the game from the field, the standard that the high powered offenses use today. If Manning did not start doing it in 2001 or so, then Rodgers, Brees and even Brady and all the others would not be doing it today.

You seem to think it was the rule changes/emphasis on the rules, but that was in 2004 when those came along at the urging of Polian. And the rules on roughing the passer were emphasized after 2008.

Manning was creating and running the hurry up offense as we see in the league today before both those changes.

Again Jim Kelly and the Bills did it too some in the early 90s, but no one followed their lead and made it a trend.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,268 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

No, he is referring to the time that BB thought it would be a good idea to slow down our speed by making the field soggy. It was not due to forgetting any tarp, but watered intentionally so as to make the ground soft and slow.

o

I remember that it was snowing during the game.

I don't recall Belichick having the field watered down prior to the game.

Thanks in advance if you have any info/citations about that aspect/occurrence.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 11-21-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
o

I remember that it was snowing during the game.

I don't recall Belichick having the field watered down prior to the game.

Thanks in advance if you have any info/citations about that aspect/occurrence.

o
I think this is what he meant:

Quote:
It rained heavily Wednesday, but the Gillette Stadium field was not covered. It was not covered Tuesday. It was not covered Monday.

Yes, the Patriots do own a tarp, and they have not reported it stolen. Perhaps Patriots coach Bill Belichick chose not to have the grounds crew put the tarp down. Perhaps he forgot.

The speedy Colts would love to play Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game on a dry, fast field, anything akin to the artificial surface in their dome home. Belichick would prefer they play in something approximating a rice paddy.

Short of turning on the sprinklers at 3 a.m., Belichick may be guilty of nothing but benign neglect. Of course, he'd never admit to that. Maybe the coach is too busy watching video of the Colts offense to even notice the 120 yards of increasingly soggy grass just outside his door or know it's supposed to rain heavily again Friday.

Asking Belichick if he tempted to cover the field is sort of like asking Janet Jackson if she was tempted to wear a turtleneck.

"My job is not to pull weeds, or rake the field," Belichick said. "I have a lot of other things to do. I'm sure that will all be taken care of."

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...019-story.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-21-2018)