ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default Edgerrin James a semifinalists for HOF

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Edgerrin James’ relentless pursuit of inclusion in the Pro Football Hall of Fame cleared its latest hurdle.
The Indianapolis Colts’ all-time leading rusher and one of the most prolific running backs in NFL history is one of 25 semifinalists for the Class of 2019.
It marks the fifth straight year James has reached the semifinal stage. He’s advanced to the Final 15 twice, including last February.
Tony Dungy always has endorsed James’ worthiness.
“To me he was the most complete guy in that era in terms of being able to run inside, run outside, make big runs, catch the football, block,’’ said Dungy, who joined Marvin Harrison as members of the Class of 2016. “He was the best pass-protecting back in football during his time.
“He was complete, played three downs. Wasn’t a third-down back or a first- and second-down back. Could do everything you could ask for and did it for a long career.’’
James became a cornerstone of the Colts’ high-powered offense when the team selected him with the fourth overall pick in the 1999 draft. During his seven-year stint in Indy, he set franchise records for rushing yards in a career (9,226), a season (1,709) and a game (219). He was a first-team selection for the NFL’s All Decade Team of the 2000s, won league rushing titles in his first two seasons and was selected to four Pro Bowls.
On a larger scale, James would play for 11 seasons – three with Arizona and one with Seattle – before retiring after 2009. He ranks 13th in NFL history with 12,246 yards and 15th with 15,610 total yards from scrimmage.
Of the 12 running backs ahead of James on the all-time rushing list, 10 already have bronze busts in Canton. The exceptions still are active: Frank Gore (No. 4) and Adrian Peterson (No. 9).
The list of 25 semifinalists will be trimmed to the 15 Modern-era Finalists Jan. 3. That group will be joined by two Contributor finalists – Pat Bowlen and Gil Brandt – and one Senior nominee – Johnny Robinson.
The Hall of Fame Selection Committee – I am a voting member – will convene Feb. 2 in Atlanta, site of Super Bowl LIII, to determine the Class of 2019.

A breakdown of the 25 semifinalists:
Running back: Edgerrin James.
Wide receiver: Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Hines Ward.
Tight end: Tony Gonzalez.
Offensive tackle: Tony Boselli.
Guard: Steve Hutchinson, Alan Faneca.
Guard/center: Kevin Mawae.
Linebacker: Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Zach Thomas.
Defensive line: Richard Seymour.
Cornerback: Champ Bailey, Ronde Barber, Ty Law.
Safety: Ed Reed, Steve Atwater, LeRoy Butler, John Lynch, Darren Woodson.
Coach: Jimmy Johnson, Don Coryell, Tom Flores.

You can follow Mike Chappell on Twitter at @mchappell51.

https://fox59.com/2018/11/20/edgerri...class-of-2019/
Colts fan from BK (11-21-2018), sherck (11-21-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

PUT HIM IN!!!!

If Edge doesn't get injured, I think he gets the rushing title. One of the all-time best all around RB's to ever play. Give him the jacket!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Colts fan from BK (11-21-2018), Racehorse (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:54 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

I really miss having edge on the colts. More so than I thought I would. James , Wayne and Harrison were special.

James should get in eventually but I think it will take some time. Which is retarded
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Colts fan from BK (11-21-2018), Racehorse (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Guys who are almost certainly getting in: Tony Gonzalez, Richard Seymour, Ed Reed

They're letting 7-8 in every year. I don't see 4-5 players on that list more deserving than Edgerrin James. If I'm predicting the class, it's:

Edgerrin James
Tony Gonzalez
Kevin Mawae
Zach Thomas
Richard Seymour
Champ Bailey
Ed Reed
Don Coryell
Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I would put Hutch and Faneca in before Mawae.

Edge definitely deserves it. Great career, could've been the best of all time if not for the knee injury. Rare for a player to be great at everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Colts fan from BK (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 04:13 PM

Based on his career numbers, he should get in.

Every RB in history with more rushing yards than him is in or will be in easily one day (Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson are active and have more than Edge)

Its not a nice round number but somehow 12000 yards seems to be the cutoff that has been set as the standard for RBs to make the HOF. Here is the list

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...yds_career.htm

You can get in of course with less than 12000, but so far everyone that has hit 12000 yards and has been eligible has made it. And there is nothing about Edge or his career that should make him the lone exception to that standard.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:58 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Based on his career numbers, he should get in.

Every RB in history with more rushing yards than him is in or will be in easily one day (Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson are active and have more than Edge)

Its not a nice round number but somehow 12000 yards seems to be the cutoff that has been set as the standard for RBs to make the HOF. Here is the list

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...yds_career.htm

You can get in of course with less than 12000, but so far everyone that has hit 12000 yards and has been eligible has made it. And there is nothing about Edge or his career that should make him the lone exception to that standard.
A much overlooked stat= Total Yards, Edge is 25th- 25th in NFL History! More than Hershel and Dickerson. Almost everyone ahead of him is already in the Hall (Sproles and Gore are still active- Good God Sproles is #6- and I checked it 97.3% of his yards came against us; most of them in the playoffs...). Oddly enough Warrick Dunn is 2 spots ahead of Edge- I have to say I don't think of Dunn as a HOFer...
Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Anybody who looks at Edge as an HOF'er solely on his career stats is missing the picture.

I would hope that HOF'er voters due their due diligence and watch Edge in his best seasons '99, '00, '01, '04, '05. Also, I would hope that they would do their
due diligence and relize that Edge was on a pre-injury pace that had him averaging more total yards per game than anybody who had ever played in the NFL.

Yes he was ahead of the great Jim Brown before he blew out his knee in '01.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:26 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Anybody who looks at Edge as an HOF'er solely on his career stats is missing the picture.

I would hope that HOF'er voters due their due diligence and watch Edge in his best seasons '99, '00, '01, '04, '05. Also, I would hope that they would do their
due diligence and relize that Edge was on a pre-injury pace that had him averaging more total yards per game than anybody who had ever played in the NFL.

Before he blew out his knee, he was better than LT.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

I am not trying to argue based solely on his stats. Just pointing out that no other player with similar stats at RB has thus far been left out

Agreed before his injury he was the best RB in the league, and one of the best of all time, in all aspects of the game. Running, blocking, catching. He made the stretch play the signature of the offensive run game and because of him the play action with Manning was just about unstoppable.