ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 07:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Wouldn't scheme choice, effective gameplan development, and good play calling be considered positive effects towards gameday results?
All of those things can be and are regularly erased both in the positive and negative direction by player performance, so no. Examples from last game: the Autry sack where he jailbroke up the middle, the playcall on either side was irrelevant because of player performance. On the opposite side of the spectrum, any drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
in game adjustments dumbass.
Still require player performance, dumbass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
At the end of the day dam, it they had converted you might be saying that "going for the win on 4th down is what gave us this division", vs "Going for the win against Houston the first time is costing the Colts a shot at the division right now, for example"

You can go for it on 4th down. If you miss it's a horrible idea. If you make it it's brilliant. These are the debts a coach must pay.
To me, in the situation, the smart play was the tie. Reich's aggressiveness on 4th downs also potentially cost the Colts the @ Jaguars game. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the aggressiveness in most situations on 4th down (I specifically didn't bring up the Jaguars game initially because I mostly agreed with the decisions, even though I thought the calls were underwhelming in a couple of cases), but I tend to like to play the percentages with 4th downs, and that 4th down against Houston was very low percentage. A punt virtually locked a tie, while a failure to convert was almost assuredly a loss, and a conversion was maybe win/more likely still tie. To me, you're less than 50/50 on that 4th and 4 for getting a more positive result by going for it than punting, probably more like 25/75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
the dude is trump. he will never admit he is wrong.

just make fun of him and move along
I don't have anything to admit to being wrong about.

Also, I'd like to point out that several people here have compared you to Trump.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:24 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Coaches get paid to build player performance and execution. Confidence to perform at this level can be an acquired trait, which can be produced by a coach known as a "whisperer". Stop ignoring the psychological benefits of a competent coach who understands how to build confidence.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:32 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
the dude is trump. he will never admit he is wrong.

just make fun of him and move along
But when we making fun of him, we are derailing threads?
Old 12-13-2018, 07:39 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
All of those things can be and are regularly erased both in the positive and negative direction by player performance, so no. Examples from last game: the Autry sack where he jailbroke up the middle, the playcall on either side was irrelevant because of player performance. On the opposite side of the spectrum, any drop.

Still require player performance, dumbass.

To me, in the situation, the smart play was the tie. Reich's aggressiveness on 4th downs also potentially cost the Colts the @ Jaguars game. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the aggressiveness in most situations on 4th down (I specifically didn't bring up the Jaguars game initially because I mostly agreed with the decisions, even though I thought the calls were underwhelming in a couple of cases), but I tend to like to play the percentages with 4th downs, and that 4th down against Houston was very low percentage. A punt virtually locked a tie, while a failure to convert was almost assuredly a loss, and a conversion was maybe win/more likely still tie. To me, you're less than 50/50 on that 4th and 4 for getting a more positive result by going for it than punting, probably more like 25/75.

I don't have anything to admit to being wrong about.

Also, I'd like to point out that several people here have compared you to Trump.
So Chud's dumbass offense that had verticals on virtually every play, with only O-Line protection was a smart scheme?

Luck wouldn't succeed in that scheme...but yet they ran it with a guy who had just joined the team in Brissett?

That my lost soul is coaching...and any HC who signs off on that BS is rotting from the head.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:22 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
But when we making fun of him, we are derailing threads?
Every thread needs some making fun of dam imo
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
But, for example, what if the coach gameplans the strength out of the opposition. Belichick often effectively neutralizes a teams strength, especially on offense. That is coaching, it isn't happenstance the players do it. They still have to follow through and accomplish it, but the design is by the coach that they follow.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:23 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
But, for example, what if the coach gameplans the strength out of the opposition. Belichick often effectively neutralizes a teams strength, especially on offense. That is coaching, it isn't happenstance the players do it. They still have to follow through and accomplish it, but the design is by the coach that they follow.
But the players can still fuck it up, like the Cheaters did against Miami last week (and let's not even get into the idea that probably all of Belicheat's "good coaching" is actually cheating). Likewise, great players can make a stupid scheme look ingenious. For all the bitching and moaning we hear around here about the Tampa 2, the 2005-2007 Bears and Colts (with a healthy Bob Sanders) sure made it look pretty damn good. Why? Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Bob Sanders, Antoine Bethea, Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, even Gary Brackett for the Colts, Brian Urlacher, Tommie Harris, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Nate Vasher, Mike Brown for the Bears. Can schemes help or hurt players situationally? Sure, but in general teams draft for scheme (i.e. a Frank Reich offense would not likely draft a RB like Derrick Henry) so the players that are drafted should, in theory, be good fits for the scheme in which they're playing. Ultimately the performance on the field by the players is what will make the difference on gameday in most cases. Maybe a bad call, like 4th and 2 (), hands a team a win on occasion, but that's negative coaching impact, because the coach on the winning side had no say in the go for it vs. punt decision on that play.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:26 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Coaches get paid to build player performance and execution. Confidence to perform at this level can be an acquired trait, which can be produced by a coach known as a "whisperer". Stop ignoring the psychological benefits of a competent coach who understands how to build confidence.
I'm not. I never at any point said that coaches have no impact. I said their impact on gameday is typically negligible or negative. Player development is most certainly their job. It's their primary job, in fact.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Guys,

Dam backed a shitty coach. It’s over. He will never concede to being wrong no matter what. We all know he is wrong. He knows he is wrong. There isn’t a single person on the planet that would agree with him.

But it is done. He went all in on one of the worst coaches in history and he doesn’t have the balls to admit he was wrong. Dam lacks integrity as a human. He is a coward. To his core, as a man, he is a weak and shitty person. That is simply who he is.

He is damold trump.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:10 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Guys,

Dam backed a shitty coach. It’s over. He will never concede to being wrong no matter what. We all know he is wrong. He knows he is wrong. There isn’t a single person on the planet that would agree with him.

But it is done. He went all in on one of the worst coaches in history and he doesn’t have the balls to admit he was wrong. Dam lacks integrity as a human. He is a coward. To his core, as a man, he is a weak and shitty person. That is simply who he is.

He is damold trump.
Omaha proudly reveling in his latest "victory":