ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Tuesday 8/28

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...er/1122596002/

Quote:
Indianapolis Colts franchise quarterback Andrew Luck (foot) missed a second straight practice Tuesday, but coach Frank Reich offered no concern about his status for the team’s regular season opener on Sept. 9.

“Doing well,” Reich said of Luck, who injured his foot on a 15-yard run in Saturday’s preseason win over the San Francisco 49ers. “He’ll be there for practice on Monday and will be ready to go for the next week.”

Luck hasn’t missed much in terms of on-field preparation the past two days: the Colts spent the bulk of practice Monday and Tuesday working on special teams drills and readying for Thursday’s preseason finale in Cincinnati. The team will practice Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday next week in anticipation of the season opener.

As for the more important body part, that surgically-repaired right shoulder, Reich said Luck is “feeling strong and good, and I don’t anticipate there being any modifications” once Week 1 arrives.
So there's good news, AND:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...on/1110469002/

Quote:
Ryan Delaire's timing couldn't be better in making serious push for Colts' roster

INDIANAPOLIS — To miss an entire NFL season so early in a career suggests Ryan Delaire didn't have a real chance at a 53-man roster spot with the Indianapolis Colts. It was a crapshoot, at best.

Delaire, however, made his own luck. He jumped onto a moving train halfway through camp and his timing couldn't have been better.

His prospects are gaining steam.

“I've been grinding for a long time,” said Delaire, a 6-4 defensive end who missed 2017 because of a knee injury and signed with the Colts two weeks ago. “I've been putting in a lot of work. … I knew it was going to count for something.”

After leaving Towson University, Delaire went undrafted and spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins, though he never appeared for them in the regular season. He caught on with the Carolina Panthers and played in 15 total games between the 2015 and ’16 seasons, recording 13 tackles, including 3.5 sacks.

Waived by Carolina after his injury, Delaire had a lot of time to prepare. He was game ready and it showed when the Colts faced the Baltimore Ravens in a Week 2 preseason game. Delaire stood out in taking on their backups and has moved up to take reps in practice with the Colts' second unit.

“The only thing I did different was I built up a lot of confidence. I motivated myself a lot,” Delaire said. “A lot of the experience I had in the first year, I used that to train myself to know what I'm in for as far as pass rushing and playing the run game."

Although the Colts have depth on the defensive line, Delaire has achieved what every player in his position eager to find a home hopes. He has put his name in serious consideration by making the decision for coach Frank Reich and GM Chris Ballard difficult.

Rookie draft picks Kemoko Turay and Tyquan Lewis have been dinged up all month and haven’t produced much. There’s more vested in them than a free agent such as Delaire, who would have to beat them out – it would seem – by a wide margin if it’s an either-or-scenario.

Could Delaire’s experience prevail because he’s more of a known quantity who likely could get better?

“At some level it would be unrealistic to say that draft choices don’t get a little consideration. I mean, that’s just the way it is in this league,” Reich said. “In talking with Chris here, we weigh production on the field for rookies probably more than most teams and draft status isn’t an automatic shoo-in in this organization. Chris has made that clear to me from Day 1 and I appreciate that mentality. … You’ve got to earn it.”

When Delaire was with the Panthers, he relied on defensive end Mario Addison to learn the ropes. Addison had spent two seasons as a reserve for the Colts before being a full-time starter for the first time in his eight-year career last season.

Delaire doesn’t hesitate about whose lead he follows now. That’s Jabaal Sheard, a defensive end in his second season with the Colts and eighth overall.

“We play pretty similar. He's a really good pass rusher,” Delaire said. “He's really good at playing the run as well. He's an all-down player. That's what I seek to be."

The jitters don’t change even though Delaire has been through this.

Thursday's exhibition at the Cincinnati Bengals is his last chance to make a case for himself. He’s not a rah-rah personality. He's about his work. He hopes to continue here. If not, he's certain he has put enough on video for 31 other teams to see his value.

“I'm not going to be the kind of guy to get everybody amped up. I'm just going to stay in my own space,” Delaire said. “I still have the hunger. That won't ever stop."
More good news, that there is good competition going on.