ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Nothing always works all the time. That's life. How did this team lose to Jax 6-0 last year? WTF. The offense stunk that day.

The NFL has morphed into a league with athletic QB's and play fast up and down the field. A large, slow D can't compete with speed. Speed never goes into a slump. A large slow D can't catch Pat Mahomes. And moving him off his spot doesn't seem to bother him, that guy can throw from any positon. So you need to go HIT him. And he's not the last of fast mobile QB's, he is the future. And does anyone have a power run system in the NFL other than Dallas?

Yeah, I'm keeping it simple, because I'm not a GM. I don't pretend to be one on the internet. And the Dungy D works because it is simple. Players don't have time to make decisions, so you give them less thinking and more doing. Defense is reacting, and then you get to the ball, all 11 guys. That's how you can play young guys with less experience.

And I believe if Ballard can draft a 310 lb DT who can run like Warren Sapp, he will take him. But those guys are rare. You he's not going to sign a guy 2 gap blocking sponge because that doesn't fit this D. They don't need Tony Sarigusa. They are looking for John Randle.
Quote:
Playing away is playing away, doesn't matter the field
Yes it does. Shut up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
The fact that we have available cap space was only one factor in signing McCoy, not the only factor. If you read through the thread you would know that, but I think you ignore it because it doesn't fit the narrative you are trying to establish. We actually don't disagree on very much, however you misinterpret things quite a bit and it is exhausting.

Maybe some appreaciate the lectures, I already have an MBA and I don't think your 'run it like a business' model is applicable to building a winning football team. The problem is I just don't think you know a whole lot about football. The fact that the only problem you have with the Funchess signing is that it is one year contract reinforces that notion. If you don't know much about football it is hard to tell what is a good decision and a bad decision concerning personnel. So you fall back on a trope of arguing against over-paying for free agents and big names. "Oh no stupid fans, they don't know what they are talking about. They just want to sign big name players past their prime. I better tell them how you are suppossed to run a football team." Well that isn't really the case here. Considering we have a ton of cap space, makes it more a football fit argument than a cap argument concerning McCoy. If you want to argue that spending money on McCoy will keep us from resigning our own guys, fine do that. Look at the free agents for next year. Some of these guys we will resign, more I think we will replaced through the draft. But just saying "oh no spending ten million now will keep us from resigning guys" is a blanket statement that doesn't hold any weight because it is conjecture.

As for the proactive thing. I know you think you are making a joke, but you do know premptive and proactive have two different meanings? You remind me of Biff Tannen who thinks he is being witty when he tells someone to make like a tree and get outa here. Ballard is only proactive once a glaring hole is exposed on the field. The past couple years we have entered the season with obvious holes. OL year one, year two pass rush and WR, year three looks like interior d-line to me as it stands. I would like to see him address these issues more before it is exposed on the field, hence he is reactive to roster issues after the fact, then he becomes proactive. That is not the same as preemptive. This comes into the reading comprehension, I really think you have a hard time figuring out what people are trying to say on here. I have to explain things to an obsurd detail. I noticed it the last time we got into it and you doing it with other posters as well.
Let me make this simple, and cut through all of the meaningless fluff you’ve included in your response:

1. Cap space as an excuse for FA signings – My reference was broader than just the thread about McCoy, just like your comment that I was responding to. I’m sure there are other reasons to sign/not-sign him, many of which are legitimately debatable, but I was taking issue with just one stated reason: the repeated justification that we should sign players (McCoy, Houston, Collins, etc.) because of our cap space. That one just doesn't hold water, and compels me to try and explain why.

2. Funchess – So you’re saying I should have more criticisms of this signing? Why? Explain yourself please, because sometimes it seems like you’re shooting from the hip. And you’re a moving target – you first say that I’m against signing free agents, so when I point out that I didn’t criticize a number of the Colts free agent signings, including the decision to spend $10M on Funchess, your argument morphs into the argument that I don’t know much about football. Talk about exhausting.

3. Funchess #2 - I don’t hold myself out as an expert in player evaluation. I've been clear on that. But signing an experienced 25-year old large bodied wide receiver with upside doesn’t sound like a bad idea to me, and this is where I put my trust in Ballard. My only criticism is the one-year deal aspect –if Ballard thinks he's an answer, we didn’t position ourselves to take advantage of the signing if he works out well next year. Ideally, that would be done with option years, just like we did with Glowinski.

4. Your MBA – I don’t care. Your arguments should stand on their own without needing to use your background as a crutch, so how about you back up your position with facts or logic instead? If my approach doesn’t comport with your business training, how about you explain why, instead of just telling me that your opinion is better because you have an MBA? You have no idea what my background is. And since you seem to believe that running a football team isn’t anything like running a business, what relevance does your MBA have anyway? Tell me, please.

5. Proactive vs. Reactive – I was making the point that you’re being ridiculous. That’s all. Proactive is the opposite of reactive. Yet you first criticized Ballard for being “reactive”, and only a few posts later said he’s “proactive." I really don’t like to call people out on their grammar or spelling because I have typos too, and more importantly it’s usually a cheap shot when you can basically tell what they mean – but you just openly contradict yourself without shame. The irony is that, in explaining why Ballard is “proactive," you demonstrate that you don’t even know what that word means (he becomes proactive “once a glaring hole is exposed on the field”? Really?). So I’m sorry, I just couldn’t resist given the tone of your prior post. To be honest, I wish I hadn’t said it now because those type of comments inevitably distract from the main conversation. But suffice it to say that there’s just no consistency in what you say. And don’t get me started on “preemptive.”
Old 06-07-2019, 09:55 PM

Can we please just close this thread? Oh, who am I kidding? It's the offseason. Flame on.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Discflinger For This Useful Post:
apballin (06-08-2019), Chromeburn (06-07-2019), Coltsfever (06-13-2019), Ironshaft (06-08-2019), JAFF (06-08-2019), Luck4Reich (06-07-2019), Racehorse (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Let me make this simple, and cut through all of the meaningless fluff you’ve included in your response:

1. Cap space as an excuse for FA signings – My reference was broader than just the thread about McCoy, just like your comment that I was responding to. I’m sure there are other reasons to sign/not-sign him, many of which are legitimately debatable, but I was taking issue with just one stated reason: the repeated justification that we should sign players (McCoy, Houston, Collins, etc.) because of our cap space. That one just doesn't hold water, and compels me to try and explain why.

2. Funchess – So you’re saying I should have more criticisms of this signing? Why? Explain yourself please, because sometimes it seems like you’re shooting from the hip. And you’re a moving target – you first say that I’m against signing free agents, so when I point out that I didn’t criticize a number of the Colts free agent signings, including the decision to spend $10M on Funchess, your argument morphs into the argument that I don’t know much about football. Talk about exhausting.

3. Funchess #2 - I don’t hold myself out as an expert in player evaluation. I've been clear on that. But signing an experienced 25-year old large bodied wide receiver with upside doesn’t sound like a bad idea to me, and this is where I put my trust in Ballard. My only criticism is the one-year deal aspect –if Ballard thinks he's an answer, we didn’t position ourselves to take advantage of the signing if he works out well next year. Ideally, that would be done with option years, just like we did with Glowinski.

4. Your MBA – I don’t care. Your arguments should stand on their own without needing to use your background as a crutch, so how about you back up your position with facts or logic instead? If my approach doesn’t comport with your business training, how about you explain why, instead of just telling me that your opinion is better because you have an MBA? You have no idea what my background is. And since you seem to believe that running a football team isn’t anything like running a business, what relevance does your MBA have anyway? Tell me, please.

5. Proactive vs. Reactive – I was making the point that you’re being ridiculous. That’s all. Proactive is the opposite of reactive. Yet you first criticized Ballard for being “reactive”, and only a few posts later said he’s “proactive." I really don’t like to call people out on their grammar or spelling because I have typos too, and more importantly it’s usually a cheap shot when you can basically tell what they mean – but you just openly contradict yourself without shame. The irony is that, in explaining why Ballard is “proactive," you demonstrate that you don’t even know what that word means (he becomes proactive “once a glaring hole is exposed on the field”? Really?). So I’m sorry, I just couldn’t resist given the tone of your prior post. To be honest, I wish I hadn’t said it now because those type of comments inevitably distract from the main conversation. But suffice it to say that there’s just no consistency in what you say. And don’t get me started on “preemptive.”
Sheesh...

1. I know, the cap is the only thing you talk about, because you can’t talk about anything else. Wait... here it comes... another explanation of Ballard’s vision.

2. Funchess has some red flags. I would go over them, but they have been hashed out in the Funchess thread and they involve talk about football not the cap so...

3. Yeah ok, see above.

4. It was a joke, I was saying you can spare me your lectures on sound management. Wow pushed a button there. This kind of comes back to the ‘understanding what people are posting thing’. Keeping it simple. Building a winning team and running a business don’t really align because they have two different objectives ultimately. You build a roster to win games, but that takes investment in players. A business wants to make as much profit as possible while spending as little as possible. If the team adopted those goals we would be like one of those perennial losing baseball teams who spend no money on the roster and are just there to make as much money as possible while keeping costs low.

5. I’m usually on my phone and my big fingers make mistakes. I should probably proof, but its a sports board. I will simplify it. Ballard waits longer than I like to fix obvious issues. Once he does decide to fix it he gets after it yo. I just wish he would get after it sooner, like before the season started. Otherwise I think he’s doing a bang up job.

You really like Ballard, are you guys related? Now I’m going out, no more responses for you.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 06-07-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Yes it does. Shut up
No it doesnt shut your pie hole
Old 06-07-2019, 11:06 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

I like Ballard a lot. Nothing wrong with pointing out where we think he has made mistakes. Yes we are further along than anyone expected. He needs to realize that and fix the holes or upgrade where he can. Leaving 40-50 million on the table causes concern for some of us.

Again understand that he has a vision and trying to build.. but what if we go the next 8-10 years with Luck and no SB?

Are you ok then that he didnt do more with the money left on the table? Just a question.

Luck will not get younger and there is always a chance that ANY QB can be on a career ending play.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (06-08-2019), Coltsfever (06-13-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 06:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
No it doesnt shut your pie hole
It's nice to see Edith and Archie back together again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt Classic For This Useful Post:
JAFF (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:46 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
It's nice to see Edith and Archie back together again.
Thanks meathead
Old 06-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

Ballard doesn’t want to do that, so rather than blowing his available cap space now on older luxury players like McCoy, Suh, etc., he’s conserving his cap space to push it forward so he’ll have extra money available to pay the Nelsons and Leonards of the world when they can become free agents. This will allow him to keep the core together and to outspend other teams in later years when that cap space will be desperately needed. It also serves the duel purpose of fostering a competitive atmosphere among the existing younger players, who know that if they perform they can earn a starting spot because they aren’t blocked by one-year veteran rentals.
This is why people on here are disagreeing with you. You seem to think that signing 1-2 higher tier FAs to short term, reasonable contracts with kill us cap-wise which just isn't the case. After the supposedly cap killing Houston signing we're at $55M under the cap which is $14M more than any other team, and if we had signed McCoy to a similar deal as Carolina we would still be $6M more under than any other team.

You also never take into account (maybe you're unaware) that per the CBA NFL teams have to spend a certain percentage of the salary cap within a given period of time. Did some googling on the details of this and the short version is that teams have to spend at least 89% of their base salary cap between '17-'20 in total cash on players. To be compliant with this the Colts have to spend an additional ~$64M between now and the end of the '20 season, so we can't just simply horde cap space until '21 or '22 as you suggest.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the current CBA ends after the 2020 season, so the rules on rolling cap space YoY could change. If I was in the NFLPA I would certainly push for that in an attempt to increase current player salaries.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 06-08-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
This is why people on here are disagreeing with you. You seem to think that signing 1-2 higher tier FAs to short term, reasonable contracts with kill us cap-wise which just isn't the case. After the supposedly cap killing Houston signing we're at $55M under the cap which is $14M more than any other team, and if we had signed McCoy to a similar deal as Carolina we would still be $6M more under than any other team.

You also never take into account (maybe you're unaware) that per the CBA NFL teams have to spend a certain percentage of the salary cap within a given period of time. Did some googling on the details of this and the short version is that teams have to spend at least 89% of their base salary cap between '17-'20 in total cash on players. To be compliant with this the Colts have to spend an additional ~$64M between now and the end of the '20 season, so we can't just simply horde cap space until '21 or '22 as you suggest.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the current CBA ends after the 2020 season, so the rules on rolling cap space YoY could change.
$64 million?! That makes it even more absurd. To add to your facts, here are next years free agents that the Colts will have. Castonzo, and...hmm. Not a lot of need for hording nickels and dimes for the immediate future. Ebron...Doyle will be over the hill according to Chaka, so he may be shown the door.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...napolis-colts/