ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-29-2019, 10:53 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I liked the draft overall, but to me, the big question mark is what they made out of the 26th pick. Instead of Sweat or Abram, they got Banogu, Tell, and a 2020 2nd. Impossible to say if it was the right or wrong call at this point, but there's a decent chance Sweat is tearing things up by getting 10+ sacks in 2020 while Banogu and Tell barely get on the field and the Colts pass rush remains lackluster.
To me, it is all about wins. If sweat gets 15 sacs but we win the Super Bowl or even get close I'm good with it. This is how Ballard runs his draft. Every GM has misses. His way of thinking got us Nelson/Leonard and also traded out of 26. This is a damn good front office. My money is on us 'winning' this trade
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:10 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
To me, it is all about wins. If sweat gets 15 sacs but we win the Super Bowl or even get close I'm good with it. This is how Ballard runs his draft. Every GM has misses. His way of thinking got us Nelson/Leonard and also traded out of 26. This is a damn good front office. My money is on us 'winning' this trade
I certainly wouldn't bet against them and they've undoubtedly earned our trust. And as I've said to Dam, we have absolutely no idea how the Colts doctors interpreted Sweat's condition.

All I'm saying is that I think there's a realistic probability that we look back in 2-3 years and second-guess the decision with hindsight. I'm not saying that's the most likely outcome, just that it's something I'm interested in keeping an eye on.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,682 Times in 2,058 Posts

Kiper and McShay we’re both on ESPN radio this morning. They both loved the Colts draft. Just about everyone did. Some interesting things mentioned:
  • Kiper said we nailed our first five picks
  • Everyone agreed Ballard just gets the draft and knows what to do.
  • 16-70 most people had the players rated similarly so trading down was a good idea bc you didn’t lose value but also gain a second in the next draft. Said you really had to nitpick the players to create any separation between them in this draft.
  • Willis was his number 50 rated player and was a good value
  • Mcshay was pushing Kiper’s buttons and Kiper made the bold predictions of the Raiders getting 10 wins and the Colts representing the AFC in the Super Bowl.

How I see this draft. I think we wanted to improve dline but Sweat was the only guy there and they weren’t willing to gamble on his heart. They only liked the top guys for dline so when none were there they traded down. They concentrated on speed, character, and length. They wanted to get faster and longer on the back end. I think Ballard saw the QBs we would face this year and wanted to get better and faster at the second level. All these guys are versatile and will move around different spots. Sub packages will feature a lot of these guys. This will allow Eberflus to get more creative in his defensive strategy and you guys know what he can already do just last year. Expect to see some more exotic packages and strategies. Say a passing down you could have Turay, Autry, Leonard, Banagu, Gellis, Okereke, and Speed our there in the front seven. Who is going to rush and who is going to drop into coverage?

The biggest help will be the speed and length, just getting more stops will help the team overall and allow our oline to wear down the other team’s defense. And the addition of Campbell should give us yac machine who has a chance to score on every touch. Even if he does all the jet screens and other short throws we did last year. He still has room to grow as s receiver too.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-29-2019 at 01:43 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (04-29-2019), Oldcolt (04-29-2019), Racehorse (04-29-2019), Spike (04-29-2019), VeveJones007 (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 01:38 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't bet against them and they've undoubtedly earned our trust. And as I've said to Dam, we have absolutely no idea how the Colts doctors interpreted Sweat's condition.

All I'm saying is that I think there's a realistic probability that we look back in 2-3 years and second-guess the decision with hindsight. I'm not saying that's the most likely outcome, just that it's something I'm interested in keeping an eye on.
I agree with you. To bad we don't know each other personally. I'd love to make a side bet (one guy pays for the super bowl tickets-colts of course), wait two years and maybe have Omaha make the decision as to who won the trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:

The Colts doctors are the ones at IU Sports Med. I have a family member who works with the doctors thoughout the IU Med system, and these people know their stuff. The doctors and residence of IU Med School are the people giving the phyicals and reading the scans and tests. IF they told me I had a heart condition, I would believe them and let them treat me. Oh, wait, that actually happened.

If the combine doctors found a problem, I would want my own doctors to see the guy before I drafted him. Just saying.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:12 PM

Thanked 4,404 Times in 2,531 Posts

Quote:

I won’t look back. Backwards looking keeps you in fear. You have to keep going forward with what you have and ignore the misses. Just like a QB who throws a pick. You have to shake it off and learn from it.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,682 Times in 2,058 Posts

Heard an interesting thing on radio today. Rams wanted to draft Hines last year and we grabbed him a few picks before. So they drafted Henderson this year, interesting how things fall and influence each other. Also means Hones would have been in the Super Bowl. Maybe he would have been the difference and beat the pats since Gurly was injured.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 PM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
The Colts doctors are the ones at IU Sports Med. I have a family member who works with the doctors thoughout the IU Med system, and these people know their stuff. The doctors and residence of IU Med School are the people giving the phyicals and reading the scans and tests. IF they told me I had a heart condition, I would believe them and let them treat me. Oh, wait, that actually happened.

If the combine doctors found a problem, I would want my own doctors to see the guy before I drafted him. Just saying.
They very well may have misdiagnosed him, it happens. I suspect his past characters issues combined with uncertainty with his heart made him less appealing to Ballard at 26, vs getting a shot at 2 guys with by trading back.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:33 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I won’t look back. Backwards looking keeps you in fear. You have to keep going forward with what you have and ignore the misses. Just like a QB who throws a pick. You have to shake it off and learn from it.
That's a great way to never learn anything. Reflecting on mistakes and the reasons they were made can help you grow, while reflecting on successes can help you learn to maximize them moving forward.

What's more is that we already know that Ballard agrees with me. He said that he did a lot of reflecting after Zach Banner didn't pan out and has made a conscious effort not to make that same mistake again.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:39 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

Quote:
What's more is that we already know that Ballard agrees with me. He said that he did a lot of reflecting after Zach Banner didn't pan out and has made a conscious effort not to make that same mistake again.
Yep, I'm sure his reflection went like this (I'll never trust a damn thing Pagano tells me when evaluating a player.)
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2019)