ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2023, 08:04 PM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts
Default Colts draft CB Julius Brents - Round 2, Pick 44

The Colts finally make their 2nd Round Pick after trading down twice.

Ballard found another athlete with a historically high RAS score.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1652101776798269440

Quote:
After trading back twice in the second round, the Colts make a pick at 44: Julius Brents, CB out of Kansas State and hometown kid (Warren Central).

Fits the Ballard mold: long, good athlete, good in man coverage.
https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1652102158592901121

Quote:
Julius Brents was drafted with pick 44 of Round 2 in the 2023 draft class.

He scored a 9.99 RAS out of a possible 10.00.

This ranked 4 out of 2,222 CB from 1987 to 2023.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 04-28-2023 at 08:11 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (04-29-2023), Colts And Orioles (04-28-2023), Ironshaft (04-28-2023), Lov2fish (04-29-2023), smitty46953 (04-28-2023), YDFL Commish (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 08:33 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

I like the pick
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 08:52 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,642 Times in 951 Posts

The size and NFL.com write up gives me Sherman vibes. Going to watch him later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 08:53 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

I like the pick.

o

When I first read your comment, I thought that it said, l "I like the prick."

I thought to myself, "Well, I don't care if he's a mean son-of-a-bitch that doesn't have any friends, as long as he can play his position well."

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 04-28-2023, 08:56 PM

Thanked 4,291 Times in 1,756 Posts

i like it

now lets get some oline and wr's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (04-28-2023), Racehorse (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 09:26 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

How do you not think of Sherman? Same height, heavier, longer, faster, quicker, more explosive, Gus Bradley drafts him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (04-28-2023), Racehorse (04-28-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 11:07 AM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts

Found this interview with Brents from earlier this year that was completed ahead of the Senior Bowl:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/senior-b...nts-interview/

Quote:
The 2023 Senior Bowl will provide an opportunity for NFL draft prospects to prove themselves on the largest pre-draft stage. Kansas State cornerback Julius Brents plans on taking full advantage. Brents recently spoke exclusively with the Senior Bowl and Draft Network to discuss his motivation for accepting his invitation to compete in Mobile, Alabama.

Brents also talked about what he’s striving to prove to NFL general managers and scouts in attendance at the Senior Bowl, his versatility in coverage, and more. Let’s get to know Julius Brents a little better.

JM: Where were you when you found out about your Senior Bowl invite and what was your initial reaction like?

Julius Brents: Let me backtrack a little bit (laughs). I was in Manhattan, KS. It was a normal day at our training facility. I believe it was a Thursday. We were getting ready to practice. We call it “Perfect Thursdays” because we’re always trying to get better from the day before.

We were getting locked in for our game. I believe we had West Virginia on the schedule that week. We had some cameras out there during Thursday practice. I noticed that wasn’t normal for us (laughs). Like, what are these cameras doing here? I was kind of confused.

Our equipment guy brought out a bag. I didn’t know what was in the bag. I thought maybe we were unveiling new uniforms or something (laughs). My head coach pulled out the Senior Bowl invite. I was ecstatic. There were a lot of emotions in that moment. It was a great feeling.

JM: That sounds like an incredible moment. What was your motivation for accepting the Senior Bowl’s offer?

Julius Brents: The Senior Bowl has an excellent reputation. I’m very familiar with the guys that came before me. I’m the ultimate competitor at the end of the day. I’m going to compete against the best of the best in Mobile. I always want to compete against the best. That’s always been my mentality. I’m looking forward to going out there and competing, but most importantly, I’m looking forward to dominating.

JM: We love your confidence. What are you looking to prove to NFL general managers, coaching staffs, and scouts in attendance in Mobile?

Julius Brents: That if you’re looking for the best cornerback in this draft, I’m your guy. It’s as simple as that. I’m a versatile cornerback that can play both press and off-man coverage. I can do whatever it is you need me to do. I’m the quarterback of the defense. I feel like I possess all of those intangibles. I’m the cornerback you’re looking for.

JM: You recorded career-highs in interceptions (4) and pass breakups (8) this season. Was there an emphasis on increasing your ball production?

Julius Brents: I’ve been attacking every season with the same approach and consistency. This season, I would just say I had a few more opportunities to make those plays on the ball. I always want to do everything I can to get my hands on the ball.

Above all, I realize the importance of creating takeaways and giving our offense another opportunity to score points. We had a dynamic offense and creating turnovers helps us win games. That was our mentality on defense. We wanted to get our hands on the football. We’re definitely always looking to do that.

JM: Does Julius Brents prefer to play man or zone coverage?

Julius Brents: I’m versatile. We played a lot of man coverage at Kansas State. I know a lot of people see me as a man-coverage cornerback. We played within our scheme. We pressed a lot because of our scheme. I’m comfortable playing either or. I can play man. I’m a long guy and I like to get my hands on people. I’m big and physical. I can play off coverage too. I’m comfortable with off-man as well.

JM: When we turn the tape on, we see a cornerback that loves to defend the run. You love to come downhill and stick your nose in traffic. Not every cornerback loves playing against the run in all honesty. Why do you?

Julius Brents: It’s a mentality. I give credit to my upbringing and the coaches I had through little league. Even now at Kansas State, we take pride in stopping the run. Our defensive backs coach Van Malone and defensive coordinator Joe Klanderman are always telling us to run through the smoke (laughs). Trust your guys to come from inside-out.

You’re the ultimate line of a defense as a cornerback. Just run through the smoke and maintain your leverages. That’s the mentality I’ve always had. I don’t care who the ball-carrier is. I’ve always played the game that way.

JM: I love that. How do you look back on your decision to transfer from Iowa to Kansas State?

Julius Brents: That was the biggest decision I had ever made in my life at that point in time. I can look back now and say coming to Kansas State was the best decision I’ve ever made. I’ve loved my time around this coaching staff. They’re even better people. It was a big change for me. Part of me didn’t want to leave Iowa at the time, but I felt like I had to make that decision to advance my career. That decision definitely paid off for me.

We brought a Big-12 Championship back to Kansas State. I’ll forever be proud of that. Hearing those fans, we really have the best fans in the country. They travel well. They’re always supportive of us. Being at Kansas State for the past two years has been amazing.

JM: It truly is a special program. Kansas State lists you at 6-foot-4, 205 pounds. What are some of the ways you use your size to your advantage?

Julius Brents: My physical presence speaks for itself. I’m a long cornerback. I make sure guys feel my presence. I’m here and I’m not going anywhere (laughs). I’m going to be me every single play. I don’t take plays off. You’re going to feel me every single play.

It’s not just about me tackling or pressing you. I’ve come a long way in block deconstruction. You have to meet me every single time. I’m coming.

I also understand how to use my length to my advantage. A lot of receivers aren’t used to going up against cornerbacks as long and physical as I am. I let my presence be known. Ultimately, I have a lot of different tools in the toolbox. I’m a bigger guy, but I know how to switch it up as well. I’m not a one-dimensional player.

JM: We love your mentality. Say it’s 3rd-and-long with the game on the line. Would you prefer to be manned up on the opposing team’s best receiver, or playing zone coverage with a chance to make a play on something near the sticks?

Julius Brents: If my coach asks me that, the answer is whatever it’s going to be for us to win on third down and get off the field (laughs). We have to play within the scheme.

If I’m answering that question from a personal standpoint, I want to be on the boundary for sure (laughs). Put me on the best receiver. It’s me against you. Put me in man coverage. Whatever we have to do to get the ball back, I’m with it. That’s my preference.

JM: What can you accomplish at the Senior Bowl that you can’t at other pre-draft events?

Julius Brents: There are going to be a ton of NFL scouts and coaches at the Senior Bowl. We know it’s going to be the best of the best from a player’s standpoint. This is what college football is all about. Being at the Senior Bowl is going to afford me an opportunity for me to establish myself as THE best cornerback in this draft class. That’s my goal throughout this process.

JM: We’re so excited for you. Is there a player in the NFL you’re looking forward to eventually swapping jerseys with?

Julius Brents: I have some previous teammates I played with at Iowa. We went through the grind together. Those are my guys. Amani Hooker from the Tennessee Titans comes to mind. Tristan Wirfs is another one. We built some lifelong relationships.

All of my Kansas State guys come to mind as well. I played with Russ Yeast at K-State last year, we’ve known each other since high school. He’s with the Los Angeles Rams now. Skylar Thompson is another one. I would love to swap jerseys with some of the greats as well.

JM: Those are some excellent choices. At the end of the week, what does a successful Senior Bowl week look like for Julius Brents?

Julius Brents: It looks like coming in every single day with the right mindset first and foremost. I’m going to compete to the best of my abilities. I know I’m going to do all of that.

By the time I leave Mobile, I’ll have made sure that everybody knows who Julius Brents is. I’m going to dominate.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 04-29-2023 at 11:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-29-2023), Spike (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 11:40 AM

This feels like another Ballard traitsy head-scratcher.

He doesn’t bat 1.000 on those but he also doesn’t bat .000. There are definitely times where it comes back to haunt him and it’s clear he overthought it. Let’s hope this isn’t one of those times.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:48 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Love it, a Warren Warrior… pride of the east side
Old 04-29-2023, 12:21 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
This feels like another Ballard traitsy head-scratcher.

He doesn’t bat 1.000 on those but he also doesn’t bat .000. There are definitely times where it comes back to haunt him and it’s clear he overthought it. Let’s hope this isn’t one of those times.
I've been watching some of his film this morning because I wasn't familiar with him. This reminds me of the Darius Leonard pick to a degree. Meaning I think the Colts specifically value him more than others because of the traits/scheme-fit.

Leonard probably doesn't have the same success elsewhere, but he was the exact fit at WLB for that defense. Hopefully Brents is the exact model at CB for Bradley's zone schemes.