ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I would like to get opinions on how the rebuild is going in your mind. When we hoist that freaking trophy, what players/positions on this team do you think will be on that team that are on this one? I, for one, think the rebuild is going very well. The appear to have done the one thing all of us were screaming for, fix the offensive line so Luck doesn't get killed. Maybe, just maybe, they are learning the art of run blocking to. One half is enough to get me pumped to see more. Mack looks like he may be either the answer or part of the answer. Hilton is the only receiver that will be on that team (hopefully). Our tight ends are fine. I'm not so sure about the defense. The line has some players and we have one linebacker and maybe our starting safeties. When I look at it I think we are in the process of building in the correct way (quarterback and lines first). I've got high hopes.
i think it is going way slower than it has to.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
That is like an a hole, everybody has one.
what i said was a fact
Old 10-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i think it is going way slower than it has to.
So I'm thinking that by the end of next year we should be a playoff team. I really think we are on track for that. I think we are one more good draft and spending some money on a few free agents away. Do you disagree or do you just think we should have put more into this year instead of going whole hog on the rebuild.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
So I'm thinking that by the end of next year we should be a playoff team. I really think we are on track for that. I think we are one more good draft and spending some money on a few free agents away. Do you disagree or do you just think we should have put more into this year instead of going whole hog on the rebuild.
I don’t think you have to do one or the other when you have cap space and an elite qb. Signing a cb wouldn’t have hurt the developerment if anyone for example.

But yes, they should be in the playoffs at least next year. Otherwise Ballard should probably be shown the door
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
what i said was a fact
No its not

Do you have a HOF jacket? No, just talking about what other people do.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:35 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
I don’t think you have to do one or the other when you have cap space and an elite qb. Signing a cb wouldn’t have hurt the developerment if anyone for example.

But yes, they should be in the playoffs at least next year. Otherwise Ballard should probably be shown the door
So I agree it would't hurt development as none of these guys will be on the team when it gets to the promise land. But the problem is I don't or didn't see anyone in free agency that would have been here when we get there either. Maybe this years team is a little better if we signed a cb, but do you really care about being a little better this year? Seen thru the lens of a rebuild, it could be seen as a waste of money and resources that could be more wisely spent later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 06:15 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Ballard hasn't spent big money in free agency yet, what makes you think he will this year? He likely won't, he wants to build through the draft, which is a slow process, and wasting Andrew Luck in his prime during the process.
Spike (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 06:51 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
No its not

Do you have a HOF jacket? No, just talking about what other people do.
Dude, I agree with you that omaha can be stubborn, but nobody has to have a HOF jacket in order to have an opinion.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Dude, I agree with you that omaha can be stubborn, but nobody has to have a HOF jacket in order to have an opinion.
I know that. But he said "fact". Fact is, he's full of _________ (fill in the blank)

He doesn't know what happened in the room, he only got to see the game. If he does have all knowning all seeing powers, I would like to know about where the stock market is going to be in 3 months.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:

So much resistance here to Ballard and his strategy, I don’t understand it. The guy’s done a great job since he’s been here, mostly by taking an approach that the majority of the people here seem to disagree with. Many people here (yourself included, if I’m not mistaken) disagreed with his draft picks this year, yet its starting to look like one of the best non-QB drafts in recent memory. And the outcries of pain when he cut Hankins, Simons and traded Anderson were deafening – yet those decisions don’t seem to have harmed the Colts in the least and our defense is playing better than it was with those guys. Keeping Hunt was another ripe source of criticism, and once again it proved to be a great decision. Give the guy credit.

Now, he hasn’t been perfect – the WR corps hasn’t played very well, though again I’m not sure what better options he had. I’m guessing that heading into the season he thought it would be adequate, but sometimes you don’t know that your boat leaks until you put it in the water. I don’t think that signing Grant was a bad decision at the time, even though it hasn’t turned out that well yet. I don’t see that there were a lot of great free agents WRs that he could have signed (maybe Allan Robinson as GBB pointed out, but who else?).

I get your point that our CB corps is bad, and it’s undeniably true. It’s easy to complain about this six games into the season, but if you’re going to do so you should at least explain what specifically you think he should have done instead. Who do you think he should he have signed? And did you say this before the season, or are you just using hindsight that wasn’t available to Ballard? I’m looking at the 2018 free agent list for CBs and it’s relatively uninspiring (Malcolm Butler was the top free agent CB, and now the Titans are complaining about him).

Let’s also not forget what Ballard said before free agency began – that we wanted to build a culture before adding high priced free agents. I think this has been particularly true on the defense.

The complaints about his cap usage are a bit short-sighted in my view as well. The money hasn’t gone anywhere and he hasn’t wasted cap space – what he didn’t use this offseason will be used later. It HAS to be under the rules (or paid to the player’s association). What’s so hard for everyone to understand about this? That’s how the system works. By focusing on establishing his culture this year, he’s simultaneously saved cap space for use over then next few years to further improve the roster – it’s a clear strategy that could and should pay big dividends.

As far as the playoffs are concerned, I think next year is certainly a realistic possibility. I haven’t quite given up on this year yet, though, as we’re thankfully in a weak division and I expect our team to improve gradually over the course of the season. I’ll admit I expected to do better than 1-5, but despite the record I think we’ve seen lots of promising signs on the field and they’ve been much more fun to watch than last year’s squad.

Sorry for the long rant, but I do get frustrated with some of the pessimism here – I think Ballard was a great hire and we’re on a very promising course.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (10-19-2018), Racehorse (10-19-2018), sherck (10-19-2018), TheMugwump (10-22-2018)