ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-13-2020, 01:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I thought you weren’t going to watch football because black people
Really, black people? I never said that.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:57 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Hopefully there's another Russell Wilson out there..
Russell Wilson is so good. MVP right now for me anyway. He would have been destroyed behind that o-line back then, but if it had been fixed, yeah I'd much rather have had him than Luck. So would everyone else probably though in hindsight. I'm just dreading the QB abyss. Depressing. Rage-inducing whenever I think back to August 2019.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,665 Times in 2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
Russell Wilson is so good. MVP right now for me anyway. He would have been destroyed behind that o-line back then, but if it had been fixed, yeah I'd much rather have had him than Luck. So would everyone else probably though in hindsight. I'm just dreading the QB abyss. Depressing. Rage-inducing whenever I think back to August 2019.
In hindsight of course. But if Luck was healthy and still playing he was on a historic pace himself and I think he would be considered just as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-14-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
The money? I'm thinking you should get what you paid for. Rivers is getting top 5 QB money, and the only thing he's in the top 5 for QBs is INTs. I didn't expect that he was going to lead us to the Super Bowl, but in that last game, he looked done. Another performance like that and it becomes the norm and not just a bad game.
$25 million per year is not Top 5 QB money in today's NFL. Mahomes just signed a half a billion dollar contract that comes in at slightly more than $40 million AAV and Watson just signed a 4 year deal at $40 million AAV. To me, that puts the floor of Top 5 at $35 million AAV, so 1 year at $25 million should buy something like Rivers, a guy on the downswing of his career that could provide a top 10 QB season or could flame out badly.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:23 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
With the benefit of hindsight, it's a very easy call to make. It's probably better in the end that the Colts didn't get all that draft capital from trading the #1 pick, Grigson likely would've squandered it.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
$25 million per year is not Top 5 QB money in today's NFL. Mahomes just signed a half a billion dollar contract that comes in at slightly more than $40 million AAV and Watson just signed a 4 year deal at $40 million AAV. To me, that puts the floor of Top 5 at $35 million AAV, so 1 year at $25 million should buy something like Rivers, a guy on the downswing of his career that could provide a top 10 QB season or could flame out badly.
I'm going strictly by salary in the current year and not by what a contract breaks down to if divided by the number of years in it. Those contracts get back loaded. Here's a quick break down of salaries only for the 2020 season.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2020/

I realize that some contracts got signed after this was originally posted, but Rivers is certainly not worth 25 million dollars.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:23 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts
Default Rivers!

Quote:
I'm going strictly by salary in the current year and not by what a contract breaks down to if divided by the number of years in it. Those contracts get back loaded. Here's a quick break down of salaries only for the 2020 season.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2020/

I realize that some contracts got signed after this was originally posted, but Rivers is certainly not worth 25 million dollars.

Top 5 QBs have big bonuses and long term contracts. Rivers has a 1 year deal to stop gap us, not a fair comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by rcubed; 10-13-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:21 PM

When he signed up, I think that the assumption was that you were handing Rivers a great OL, a top 5 running attack, one elite WR and two others with high upside.

On Sunday, he didn't have any of those things. On Sunday, he had Leraven Clark, who was doing his best imitation of a turnstile; a RB who's having a hard time exploiting holes; a TY Hilton who's a shadow of his old self; and a WR corps behind him made up of, mostly, scrubs.

In addition, Jack Doyle, somehow seems to have aged badly.

That doesn't excuse the interceptions or the safety. But, going into 2020, any reasonable fan had to know that you weren't getting Rivers at his 25 year old best. You were getting a game manager who wasn't afraid to take chances.

That having been said, you can't really be surprised by what happened against the Browns.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (10-13-2020), Colts And Orioles (10-13-2020), Hoopsdoc (10-13-2020), nate505 (10-15-2020), Oldcolt (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Top 5 QBs have big bonuses and long term contracts. Rivers has a 1 year deal to stop gap us, not a fair comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, how about this. The Colts could have signed Bridgewater, Dalton AND Cam Newton and still had 7 million to sign some OL depth.

I really have no problem with paying good money for a quality player, but before I lay down money on a car with a solid history, but I'd still want to test drive it and be sure it still was a great car. Otherwise, I think I make a much lower counter offer. When Rivers signed for 25 million, I was convinced that the buyers were sure of him. I'm not convinced of that any longer, are you?
Old 10-13-2020, 07:07 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
The money? I'm thinking you should get what you paid for. Rivers is getting top 5 QB money, and the only thing he's in the top 5 for QBs is INTs. I didn't expect that he was going to lead us to the Super Bowl, but in that last game, he looked done. Another performance like that and it becomes the norm and not just a bad game.
River's is not getting top 5 QB money. In average salary per season, his $25 million ranks 17th.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Dam8610 (10-13-2020)