ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

The only 3 olinemen that are with a fuck are the ones drafted in the first round. All the others are just backups or depth. They are nothing more . This team needs a solid oline above and beyond everything else right now. The D has a few playmakers on the d line and WLB and even safety.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:10 AM

Biggest needs are depth. No one single high draft star will change this team. We need depth. You can't predict injuries, but it seems that you can predict that the Colts will be near the top in players lost to injury.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Wow, this really sucks. He's been an anchor at RG.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
sherck (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
You can’t and won’t have 9 all pro olinemen. Now I will not bitch about taking big boys early and often but this defense needs talent.
Pass rusher. You have a Freeney, everybody on the D looks better
Old 10-09-2018, 06:52 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

For Week 6:

LT = Castonzo
LG = Nelson
OC = Kelly
RG = Smith
RT = Clark

OT Depth = Good
OG Depth = Good

And then we were down to only six guys whom I have any faith in. Losing Webb, Slasson and Haeg (perhaps coming back) so far has turned a position group who was pretty deep into razor thin margins.

Sorry, I gotta agree with Puck on this one. Keeping Luck upright and allowing him to do what he does (2nd half in NE, anyone?) will propel this team more than a stronger defense.

I am not demanding that the 1st round draft pick be used on OT in 2019; however, ignoring O-Line depth and starters just because at one point in the year we had good depth is foolish. Luck drives this team's success; keeping him protected and opening running holes is as important as any other need you could list.

I am not sold on Clark or Good as the longish term solution at RT but if I have to live with it, I can given the potential of the other 4 pieces. But we need to keep drafting one O-Linemen in the first 4 rounds of the draft EVERY YEAR in order to keep the depth stocked and hope that we hit on a "Leonard-like" talent every couple of years to really elevate their play.

But, O-Line in 2019? One of top 3 picks (1st & 2nd round) please!

Walk Worthy,

Last edited by sherck; 10-09-2018 at 07:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Puck (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Pass rusher. You have a Freeney, everybody on the D looks better
Through five games:

2002: 6 tackles, 2.0 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 2 QB Hits, 1 FF = Freeney

2018: 7 tackles, 2.0 sacks, 0 tackles for loss, 5 QB Hits, 0 FF = Turay

I am not saying that Turay is the next coming of Dwight Freeney.

I am also not saying that if DeMarcus Lawrence hits free agency that you don't throw a pot full of money at him (or to a lesser extent Frank Clark from SEA or Allen Bailey from KC).

I am saying that the Colts currently rank "Tied-3rd" with the Lions in the NFL with 17 sacks delivered only two behind the NFL leading Steelers with 19 and one behind the 2nd plack Bears with 18 sacks. It is a group effort.

Now, a HUGE difference between those first three defenses and us in the "defend the pass" game is completion percentages allowed:

PIT = 62.0% allowed
CHI = 64.2% allowed
DET = 63.8% allowed
IND = 72.1% allowed

In fact, we are the 4th worst in allowing the highest completion percentage against our defense inspite of the fact that we are 3rd in sacks.

To me, that screams that we need help in the back seven a WHOLE LOT more than we need help on the D-Line. Coverage of receivers is lacking if we are "getting home" a lot but yet they are completing 7 out of 10 pass attempts against us.

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Puck (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
The only 3 olinemen that are with a fuck are the ones drafted in the first round. All the others are just backups or depth. They are nothing more . This team needs a solid oline above and beyond everything else right now. The D has a few playmakers on the d line and WLB and even safety.
That is just false. Clark has proven to be a valuable player as a backup. Good has played well in spots. Smith looks like he can play.

Using your 1st round pick every year on an oline man is stupid. Nobody is saying don’t keep feeding the talent and depth there but oline is definitely not the biggest need.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:19 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
For Week 6:

LT = Castonzo
LG = Nelson
OC = Kelly
RG = Smith
RT = Clark

OT Depth = Good
OG Depth = Good

And then we were down to only six guys whom I have any faith in. Losing Webb, Slasson and Haeg (perhaps coming back) so far has turned a position group who was pretty deep into razor thin margins.

Sorry, I gotta agree with Puck on this one. Keeping Luck upright and allowing him to do what he does (2nd half in NE, anyone?) will propel this team more than a stronger defense.

I am not demanding that the 1st round draft pick be used on OT in 2019; however, ignoring O-Line depth and starters just because at one point in the year we had good depth is foolish. Luck drives this team's success; keeping him protected and opening running holes is as important as any other need you could list.

I am not sold on Clark or Good as the longish term solution at RT but if I have to live with it, I can given the potential of the other 4 pieces. But we need to keep drafting one O-Linemen in the first 4 rounds of the draft EVERY YEAR in order to keep the depth stocked and hope that we hit on a "Leonard-like" talent every couple of years to really elevate their play.

But, O-Line in 2019? One of top 3 picks (1st & 2nd round) please!

Walk Worthy,
You are contradicting yourself. You said that this group was pretty deep until we lost Haeg, Slauson, and Webb. That shows that injuries are the problem, and drafting someone in the 1st or 2nd round doesn't do anything to guarantee against injuries happening again.

I have no issue with them drafting an OL this next draft, but it absolutely does not need to be in the 1st or 2nd round, and it's far from the biggest need on this team. If the guys who are out were healthy, you wouldn't say OL was that big of a need, so we just need to get them healthy.

The only way we need to spend an early pick on OL at this point is if we have to replace Castanzo. LT would be worth spending an earlier pick on if needed, but we just need to get him healthy right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 08:42 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Through five games:

2002: 6 tackles, 2.0 sacks, 4 tackles for loss, 2 QB Hits, 1 FF = Freeney

2018: 7 tackles, 2.0 sacks, 0 tackles for loss, 5 QB Hits, 0 FF = Turay

I am not saying that Turay is the next coming of Dwight Freeney.

I am also not saying that if DeMarcus Lawrence hits free agency that you don't throw a pot full of money at him (or to a lesser extent Frank Clark from SEA or Allen Bailey from KC).

I am saying that the Colts currently rank "Tied-3rd" with the Lions in the NFL with 17 sacks delivered only two behind the NFL leading Steelers with 19 and one behind the 2nd plack Bears with 18 sacks. It is a group effort.

Now, a HUGE difference between those first three defenses and us in the "defend the pass" game is completion percentages allowed:

PIT = 62.0% allowed
CHI = 64.2% allowed
DET = 63.8% allowed
IND = 72.1% allowed

In fact, we are the 4th worst in allowing the highest completion percentage against our defense inspite of the fact that we are 3rd in sacks.

To me, that screams that we need help in the back seven a WHOLE LOT more than we need help on the D-Line. Coverage of receivers is lacking if we are "getting home" a lot but yet they are completing 7 out of 10 pass attempts against us.

Walk Worthy,
Darius Leonard has 4 of those 17 sacks. Ideally in this defense his role is much less defined by his pass rush ability. Further, the best DL on the team this far is 31 year old Margus Hunt, who is having a sudden breakout career year. I also like Turay, but the 2019 draft class is brimming with DL talent in a year that the Colts have 3 top 50 picks. I'm a big believer in drafting at the intersection of BPA and need, so while DL might not be the biggest immediate need, I also don't see anyone on this DL who I would count on to be anything more than a rotational piece going forward as of now. Things could also change in the draft between now and then, but given the level of talent at DL in this draft class the way it currently sits and the talent the Colts currently have on the DL, I'd be surprised if the Colts didn't end up with at least 2 DL from their 3 likely top 50 draft picks.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
That is just false. Clark has proven to be a valuable player as a backup. Good has played well in spots. Smith looks like he can play.

Using your 1st round pick every year on an oline man is stupid. Nobody is saying don’t keep feeding the talent and depth there but oline is definitely not the biggest need.

Yes they are fine as backups but we have 3 total stating quality players on this oline... AC Nelson and Kelly. ( Slauson was also) Everyone else is a back up. When you have injuries to those 3 it makes everything worse. We need a starting RT as soon as possible and move Smith to guard.

We need to draft a starting LT in the draft next yr or find one in FA. Then let them compete with AC as to who plays left and who plays right and in the event AC needs replaced.... its covered

After that its CB's with better coverage we would have even more sacks