ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-08-2019, 02:44 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
We play zone 80 percent of the time.

Mahomes has faced 5 teams this season who play majority zone. He’s completed 64 percent of his passes, 8 yards per attempt, with 14 touchdowns and no interceptions.

I hope Eberflus has a surprise or two up his sleeve because Mahomes will murder our zone.
I get it. You may be correct. Actually probably are. I just think there may be a different narrative and that is that this group of guys have somehow jelled as a team and are damn good. I’m going to believe that. They do
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (01-08-2019), Pez (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:22 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Eberflus has also proven he will adjust his scheme to fit the opponent.

The way Manning picked on the soft spots in our zone does have me a bit concerned. But Walker was out for that game and it made a big difference in our players being where they belonged.

We can't play with 2 deep safeties all game. We can't vacate the middle of the field. We will probably need to put Wilson or Desir on Watkins while bracketing one or both of Hill and Kelce. And just play as hard as possible. Letting Mahomes slice up the soft spots for 10+ minute drives is worse than giving up a bomb to Hill.

Our DL needs to have another breakout game where they go off for 7 sacks. Mahomes played lights out but is still a young QB and speeding up his mental clock could force a mistake or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:31 PM

And lets hope Kansas City reads and believes that they are an offensive juggernaut like everyone is saying. I also think that we Colt fans are not used to having a coaching staff that has a very good chance of out coaching the opponent. We do now so there is that.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:34 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
We play zone 80 percent of the time.

Mahomes has faced 5 teams this season who play majority zone. He’s completed 64 percent of his passes, 8 yards per attempt, with 14 touchdowns and no interceptions.

I hope Eberflus has a surprise or two up his sleeve because Mahomes will murder our zone.
Mahomes has yet to play a playoff game. A whole new ballgame and a different kind of pressure.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Thanked 1,896 Times in 923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I get it. You may be correct. Actually probably are. I just think there may be a different narrative and that is that this group of guys have somehow jelled as a team and are damn good. I’m going to believe that. They do
I mean, the fan in me is hoping for a win.

But realistically, if Mahomes has his typical game and Luck and the offense aren’t perfect, I can see this one getting ugly.

Mahomes is a different animal from anything we’ve faced yet this year. He is highly mobile, has excellent pocket awareness, and, unlike Watson, is extremely accurate. He can make every throw, both inside and outside the pocket.

Plus, he’s surrounded by weapons. Kelce, Hill, Watkins, Conley.

I really hope I’m wrong and I think, with another good draft and perhaps some FA additions, we will match up better with them in the future.

I’m just doubtful we can pull off the upset this weekend.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
I agree with you, however, I was....

...doubtful we would sweep our three home games after the bye
...doubtful we would beat the Titans
...doubtful that this team would shut out the Cowboys
...doubtful that we would beat the Texans
...wildly doubtful we would make the playoffs
...stunningly doubtful we would win a playoff game
...mind blowingly doubtful that the 1-5 team would rip of 10 wins in their next 11 games

Oldcolt has convinced me, I'm done with doubt this season. Chefs about to get stunned.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-08-2019), Racehorse (01-08-2019), sherck (01-08-2019), VeveJones007 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morni...ll-beat-Chiefs
Old 01-08-2019, 04:23 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Oof.... 5 games vs a top 10 defense, the chiefs won all of them:

#1 Ravens - won by 3
#5 Jags - won by 16
#6 Steelers - won by 5
#9 Chargers - won by 10, won by 1

It's round 2 of the playoffs, every team is good, but wow, the chiefs O is going to be a tough draw.

Indianapolis has not faced a top 10 offense this year. KC is #1. Anyone who says they aren't scared of the chiefs is smoking crack. This is by far the colts toughest test.
Sorry Pez, but the premise of this post is incorrect because KC actually LOST at home to the Chargers by 1 point. The Chiefs are beatable, but the Colts will need to have a few things go their way. If they played 10 times, maybe the Colts win 3. I'm just hoping Saturday is one of those 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Pez (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,613 Times in 938 Posts

I thought the defensive scheme Eberflus was bringing was supposed to be Cover 3 heavy? If they trust Hooker, I think this defense's best chance will be to play him as the high safety in a variant cover 3/cover 1 look, essentially switching between man and zone a lot to confuse Mahomes and give him different looks, and do everything they can to bracket Kelce while trusting the CBs to cover Hill and Watkins. I'd say Walker, Leonard, and possibly Geathers will likely spend a lot of their game alternating between being part of the Kelce bracket and spying Mahomes.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I mean, the fan in me is hoping for a win.

But realistically, if Mahomes has his typical game and Luck and the offense aren’t perfect, I can see this one getting ugly.

Mahomes is a different animal from anything we’ve faced yet this year. He is highly mobile, has excellent pocket awareness, and, unlike Watson, is extremely accurate. He can make every throw, both inside and outside the pocket.

Plus, he’s surrounded by weapons. Kelce, Hill, Watkins, Conley.

I really hope I’m wrong and I think, with another good draft and perhaps some FA additions, we will match up better with them in the future.

I feel your doubt. One of us will be eating crow Saturday. I feel confident in saying we both hope it's not me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (01-08-2019)