ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Accidental Administrator

Default Colts vs Chiefs - Rushing

Marlon Mack alone put up 148 yards against the 4th ranked run defense in the Texans. The Texans gave up only 84 yards per game rushing on the season. The colts rushed for 222 total.

The Chiefs are ranked 27th best against the run, giving up 132 RYPG on the season, and 150 RYPG in their last 3 games against the Chargers, Seahawks and Raiders. ranked 16th, 1st and 25th, respectively.

Indianapolis is ranked 17th in rushing yards per game.

Seattle (1st) rushed for 210 against them, the chargers (16th) 119, the raiders (25th) rushed for 127.

If we can run the ball, Mahomes becomes a non-factor.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Agreed.

The KC defense is VERY vulnerable to a good, well disciplined offense. Our gameplan needs to be one of ball control with percise, quick hitting passing to move the chains and lots of rushing to eat the clock. The Colts offense can do both of that.

We will see. I don't think we should be favored (and we are not) but I think we have a punchers chance in this game if we start as hot as we did against Houston. That first half (plus the game in Dallas) when the Colts play their best shows that we can play with anyone in the league.

House money, Freaks. The Colts are playing with house money. I hope they let it all hang out.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Pez (01-07-2019), southside asshole (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Marlon Mack alone put up 148 yards against the 4th ranked run defense in the Texans. The Texans gave up only 84 yards per game rushing on the season. The colts rushed for 222 total.

The Chiefs are ranked 27th best against the run, giving up 132 RYPG on the season, and 150 RYPG in their last 3 games against the Chargers, Seahawks and Raiders. ranked 16th, 1st and 25th, respectively.

Indianapolis is ranked 17th in rushing yards per game.

Seattle (1st) rushed for 210 against them, the chargers (16th) 119, the raiders (25th) rushed for 127.

If we can run the ball, Mahomes becomes a non-factor.
Nope. The Colts can run for 250 yards, but they'll lose if they get FGs instead of TDs.

Just get to 31 points one way or another.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Pez (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:52 AM

For the first time in years in a playoff game, I think this is the best strategy for the Colts

keep the ball away from the other team with long sustained drives and the running game

Its what teams did for years, or tried for years, against Manning, so now we are on the other side of it.

Should see lots of mack and the running game. especially without TY banged up.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM

A successful running game is a must for this game. Need at least 200 yards on 35 plus carries. We all seem to agree that if they can run well, they can win this game.

On D, (provided they are running well) the bend don't break pass defense needs to be implemented. Keep the receivers in front of you and force them into getting impatient.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post

Just get to 31 points one way or another.
They certainly need touchdowns and not field goals. I absolutely agree with that. But I think you may be under selling how important limiting the number of possessions likely is. I’d gladly take 27 points and a few less KC offensive possessions. If the Colts get in a track meet with KC I’m not sure 31 points is enough. As potent as the Colts offense is I don’t see “scoring points” as the best way to beat the Chiefs. Making that KC offense press and be overly aggressive against the Colts zone D provides the best opportunity for a win IMO. Especially considering Andy Reid’s history, this being Mahomes first ever playoff game, and the injury to TY. Add in the effects on the crowd and that the KC D’s best attribute is their ability to rush the passer and this should be a game plan that leans very heavily on Mack and the OL pounding defenders into the grass.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
They certainly need touchdowns and not field goals. I absolutely agree with that. But I think you may be under selling how important limiting the number of possessions likely is. I’d gladly take 27 points and a few less KC offensive possessions. If the Colts get in a track meet with KC I’m not sure 31 points is enough. As potent as the Colts offense is I don’t see “scoring points” as the best way to beat the Chiefs. Making that KC offense press and be overly aggressive against the Colts zone D provides the best opportunity for a win IMO. Especially considering Andy Reid’s history, this being Mahomes first ever playoff game, and the injury to TY. Add in the effects on the crowd and that the KC D’s best attribute is their ability to rush the passer and this should be a game plan that leans very heavily on Mack and the OL pounding defenders into the grass.
I completely agree with the bold. What I fail to understand is how "limiting # of KC possessions" --> "Maholmes becomes a non-factor."

If the Colts successfully limit KC to something like 7 possessions and they score 5 TDs, KC still wins the game. What you mean to say is that the Colts need to limit possessions and be more efficient than KC in those limited possessions. Simply limiting possessions doesn't make Maholmes a non-factor.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

When healthy (like they are now) this offensive line has been completely dominating. Kravitz pointed out that when all 5 starter are in they average 150 yard a game and 5 yards per carry. They have also given up zero, yes zero, sacks in the last 6 games they have played together as a unit.The other team knows that the Colts plan to totally disrespect them and there is apparently nothing they can do about it. It's amazing and wonderful to watch. We don't just have a punchers chance (sorry Sherck) we are the better team. Until someone scorches this defense I am officially on their bandwagon. How many times do they have to dominate games before we stop not believing how good this defense really is? If Parcels was right and you are what the record says you are this is as good a football team as anyone over the last 11 games. The front 7 is incredibly athletic and disruptive and even though I keep thinking that the names on the back of our defensive backs suck, their play says otherwise. We may not take it all, but there is no team that the Colts need to fear. They are the ones to be feared this time around and they know it. All this and I didn't even mention the coaching staff. I'm pumped and set up for a huge fall but I don't give a shit. I'm all in with this team.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I completely agree with the bold. What I fail to understand is how "limiting # of KC possessions" --> "Maholmes becomes a non-factor."

If the Colts successfully limit KC to something like 7 possessions and they score 5 TDs, KC still wins the game. What you mean to say is that the Colts need to limit possessions and be more efficient than KC in those limited possessions. Simply limiting possessions doesn't make Maholmes a non-factor.
Ok, my bad - I miss understood. And to be clear the quote about making Mahomes a non factor wasn’t from me. I agree with your point. It makes Mahomes an even bigger factor IMO by putting additional (self imposed) pressure on him and forcing him to be efficient and mistake free. It’s a question of whether or not he can handle that pressure in his first playoff game.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I may be overconfident but KC doesn't really scare me.

They beat 2 playoff teams this year. They have 3, maybe 3.5 quality wins if you want to give them a half point for beating the Browns the week after Hue got fired.

Mahomes last 4 games were good, but not superstar-level like earlier. And it wasn't that KC had nothing to play for, the Chargers were right there with them for the division.

This will be Mahomes first ever playoff game. 1st time QBs don't usually do well in those circumstances.

Everyone in KC knows the history of the Colts ruining their playoff hopes. The Arrowhead crowd will be nervous as shit.

KC has some stars on defense but they had a soft schedule and still didn't play well.

Andy Reid's postseason flops are legendary.

The Colts dominated the Texans without playing their best football for half the game. I don't think we should realistically be favored, but I don't think the KC offense is as potent now as they seemed earlier in the season. Especially without Hunt.