ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Great post GBB as always. The key point is how important the line play is.
Baldinger back singing praise for Nelson ...

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1081894675596931072
Maniac (01-06-2019), Oldcolt (01-06-2019), Phelanka7 (01-06-2019), ukcolt (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post

Could you possibly imagine the electricity of a game called by Baldy and Mcafee? I don't care if it was the Toledo Mud Hens versus the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs. It would be riveting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phelanka7 For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelanka7 View Post
Could you possibly imagine the electricity of a game called by Baldy and Mcafee? I don't care if it was the Toledo Mud Hens versus the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs. It would be riveting.
Yes that be fun to listen to
Old 01-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
Good stuff! Just got home from watching today's games at a buddy's so late with mine and just attaching a few quick ones here.

1. Kenny Moore isn't just a good Cover-2 corner. He's a legit baller. I was actually talking Colts with my dad last week (catching him up; he hasn't watched them for a while with my mom's health being what it is) and told him I thought this defense had 3 legit ballers who would be fantastic players in any system: Denico Autry, Darius Leonard ... and Kenny Moore.

I'm telling you: Moore can do everything. Can stick in coverage. Challenge point of reception. Close. Read QB's eyes. Good hands. Fantastic slot blitzer. Probably best pound-for-pound tackler in the league at the position. He was my MVP today. Honestly think it's time to start calling this guy a terrific corner without the Cover-2 caveat.

2. Pierre Desir was the second best player on the field for Colts today. DeAndre Hopkins doesn't want any of Desir. Desir is patient and doesn't let Hopkins play his OPI Game all day like he does with most other corners. He uses his length well, but most importantly, is just SMART. How many times do you ever see Desir called for DPI or holding? So rarely, because he is just a fantastic technician at the position. Hopkins earned every yard against Desir ... and there weren't many.

3. The Colts still very much need a pass-rusher. I kinda wonder, too, how NFL teams will counter their double-A gap alignment over time. Eberflus shows a variety of things, but that's the constant. If you're gonna beat the Colts, it's probably going to be in taking advantage of that. I guess the solution is to run wide ... but Colts have too much speed for that. Misdirection? Hmm...

4. I thought Clayton Geathers looked a step slow today ... in other words, like a guy whose knee isn't 100 percent. I think he probably toughed out a game he'd be encouraged to sit in the regular season. Played fine. But Travis Kelce is going to be a nightmare matchup next week.

5. Almost getting boring to sing this OL's praises, but I want to single out Braden Smith in particular. In the first half of the Colts' run, I thought he was doing a solid job holding his own, which was more than good enough. Now, over the past 4 or so games ... I'm not sure if he's not becoming dominant himself, guys. Like, this kid isn't just a nice find at RT. I think he can really, really play.

6. I say it every week, but TY Hilton deserves a statue after all is said and done. What he continues to do on an IR-caliber ankle is unreal. As so many other WRs in the league have shown, he could sit or look out for himself. He gives his all for the team instead. I respect Hilton more than I can articulate. What a leader.

7. I still maintain that this WR corps, though, limits Colts' possibilities vs a KC. Love what Hilton is doing, but he's only healthy enough to turn it on 2-3 drives a game. Love what Inman is doing. Beyond that, though, as today reminded: you just cannot trust Rogers or Pascal at all.

8. Obviously best game by Marlon Mack. That double-juke run he had was a serious We Don't Need Le'Veon run. Look, I still think you add as many playmakers as you can who fit the culture of this team, and trust Ballard to do so. But Mack made a statement today. Have no doubt about it.

Part of that statement too, though, is that OL health and continuity = run success. When in doubt, favor paying and deepening your run blockers (OL+TE).

9. The Colts' coaching staff is so much better than any coaching staff in the AFC South, it's not even funny.

10. Just think about what Ballard has done...

QB - Luck was here, but traded Dorsett for Brissett, who may prove a draft pick trade asset himself

RB - Drafted Mack, Hines and Wilkins

WR - Probably his most unaddressed area, but did sign Inman (to be fair: Grant kinda cancels that out)

TE - Signed Ebron to a bargain deal, found Mo Alie-Cox

LT - Inherited Castonzo, so nothing

LG - Drafted Nelson out of trade that also netted several others

C - Inherited Kelly, so nothing

RG - Signed Glowinski, and an effective Slauson prior to

RT - Drafted Smith

DE - Inherited Sheard and Hunt, found AQM on the waiver wire, drafted Lewis and Turay

DT - Signed Autry to bargain deal, drafted Stewart

OLB - Drafted Lewis and Adams, signed at the very least vet presence Goode

MLB - Drafted Anthony Walker (assumedly envisioning eventual transition to 4-3)

CB - Signed Kenny Moorer and Pierre Desir off scrap heap, drafted Quincy Wilson

S - Inherited Clayton Geathers, drafted Malik Hooker, signed Mike Mitchell
First off, all the best to your Mom. I hope she overcomes her health issues.

Outstanding game breakdown as always. You are very much appreciated.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dewey 5 For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (01-06-2019), GoBigBlue88 (01-06-2019), Puck (01-06-2019), VeveJones007 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:57 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:

I didn't even know I've been waiting my whole life to root for an offensive lineman like this guy. We can beat any team in football with this offensive line. Offensive line play travels well, dominates more in shitty weather and provides a swagger I've never seen on a Colts team. If you can't enjoy this you gotta be dead (even then maybe)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
sherck (01-06-2019), smitty46953 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I didn't even know I've been waiting my whole life to root for an offensive lineman like this guy. We can beat any team in football with this offensive line. Offensive line play travels well, dominates more in shitty weather and provides a swagger I've never seen on a Colts team. If you can't enjoy this you gotta be dead (even then maybe)
seriously! dude brings it and its awesome.

the plumber! that is good stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Thanked 1,556 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:

This is outstanding.

My favorite might have actually been a Kelly block on one of the runs. Big Q pushes Clowney off the bottom of the page while Kelly pulls and has a running start at one of the Texans DBs. That DB wanted NONE of it, and he just threw himself onto the ground in terror.

Funny, funny stuff. I LOVE having a mean O-line.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-06-2019), smitty46953 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

I guess he knew what he was doing when he released Jon Simon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-06-2019), sherck (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Whole team played well start to finish, very little to complain about this game

The offense seem to let off the gas in the second half, but I think that was by design and not a bad thing. As gutsy as Reich is, he also isn't stupid and knows how to change the tempo when you have a big league, unlike some idiot teams in the playoffs (Falcons in the SB, dumbasses). Its been a LONG time since the Colts could build a lead and then basically sit on it, running the ball and playing solid D, daring the other team to change things up to come back and beat them And the Texans played right into that. Even the TD drive, it was all underneath stuff, short, ate up a bunch of time, which the Colts were willing to give up when ahead by 3 scores.

I think this was Mack's best game as a pro. The one long run where he cut back two or three times, weaving his way down the field, was probably his best run as a pro. He is making me think more and more Bell can look elsewhere for a team next year.

Missed a few chances at INTs.

Not sure I can blame that INT on Luck, good play by Watt.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:57 PM

Call me crazy but as creative as Frank has been on offense, I get the sense he still has one or two surprises up his sleeve to pull out if we were to make it to the championship game. He just doesn't rest on his laurels and seems to always be tinkering with his scheme. Such a breath of fresh air from the "we just do what we do" mentality.