ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I agree to a point.

But the fact that neither Smith nor Glowinski were projected starters out of Training Camp and that Clark and Haeg saw a lot of playing time earlier shows that you have to have QUALITY DEPTH to be a good O-Line.

We have one current O-Line starter ending their contract each year from 2019 - 2023.

2019 = Glowinski
2020 = Castonzo
2021 = Kelly
2022 = Smith
2023 = Nelson (with 5th year option)

As long as they continue to play well AND we choose to re-sign them, I totally agree with you on not needing to use TOP draft picks on the O-line and just keep up the quality depth.

BUT, there is no guarantee that they will continue to play well nor that the team will re-sign them. The key is that we have had the depth to survive to this point and find five guys who can play well together

2019 = Good
2020 = Clark, Haeg

Do we re-sign those depth guys? Or draft new depth?

To have a quality O-Line, you have to keep adding talent to it every season. One draft pick in the top four rounds every season (25% of your draft picks in those rounds) should go to O-Line (23% of your starters), IMO. If the O-Line is suprerior, then having only average offensive speciality folks can still make an offense run. If you have an average to below average O-Line, the best set of receivers will be worthless as the QB never has time to throw and the RBs never have holes to run in.

Walk Worthy
And Castonzo will be 31 years old next season. He's been remarkably healthy in his career, but you need to have a good backup plan for a 30+ OL.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:00 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
And Castonzo will be 31 years old next season. He's been remarkably healthy in his career, but you need to have a good backup plan for a 30+ OL.
Clark could be that backup plan. He played credibly well at LT early this season.

If he did not have a rookie OG next to him (granted, a good one but a rookie still) and a solid right side of the line, then swinging TE/RB chip coverage his way on elite rushers works.

Granted, in a perfect scenario, I want a young, stud LT to drop to us at the exact time Castonzo starts to decline but it rarely works that way.

Good O-Linemen often play well into their 33rd/34th/35th seasons. Time will tell where Castonzo falls in that timeline.

Walk Worthy,
Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Clark could be that backup plan. He played credibly well at LT early this season.

If he did not have a rookie OG next to him (granted, a good one but a rookie still) and a solid right side of the line, then swinging TE/RB chip coverage his way on elite rushers works.

Granted, in a perfect scenario, I want a young, stud LT to drop to us at the exact time Castonzo starts to decline but it rarely works that way.

Good O-Linemen often play well into their 33rd/34th/35th seasons. Time will tell where Castonzo falls in that timeline.

Walk Worthy,
I'm still on board with an OT in this year's 1st if he's the clear BPA. I don't want to reach on a pass rusher or WR if the tackle is clearly better.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 04:21 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I don't think we have ever had an offensive lineman that is as destructive as Nelson. He gets more pancake blocks in a game than most guys get in a year. He is a tone setter. A steal at #6
Old 10-24-2018, 04:46 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I don't think we have ever had an offensive lineman that is as destructive as Nelson. He gets more pancake blocks in a game than most guys get in a year. He is a tone setter. A steal at #6
I would say good pick at 6, steal is too strong.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:10 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
I would say good pick at 6, steal is too strong.
At a minimum a great pick. For what he has meant to this line I still think he was a steal.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:12 PM

Default The O-Line...

Snippet from a Colts.com article:
Quote:
The unit of Castonzo-Nelson-Kelly-Glowinski-Smith has now lined up next to one another for the fourth consecutive game.

“When’s the last time that happened?” Castonzo laughed.

Five years ago, actually. The last time Luck played with the same group for at least four games in a row was 2013. That group made it to seven games, certainly another mark Castonzo and company are hoping to break.
During the last 4 games:

- Averaging 152 yards rushing per game

- Averaging 245 yards passing per game

- 14 passing TDs (0f 26 total for the season)

- 4 rushing TDs (of 5 total for the season)

- Suffered 0 sacks

A strong O-Line is a wonderful thing......especially when it was not the O-Line that you envisioned at the beginning of the season and instead you just sort of......LUCK.....into it!

Walk Worthy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-19-2018), Oldcolt (11-13-2018), Racehorse (11-13-2018), smitty46953 (11-13-2018), VeveJones007 (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:30 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Snippet from a Colts.com article:

During the last 4 games:

- Averaging 152 yards rushing per game

- Averaging 245 yards passing per game

- 14 passing TDs (0f 26 total for the season)

- 4 rushing TDs (of 5 total for the season)

- Suffered 0 sacks

A strong O-Line is a wonderful thing......especially when it was not the O-Line that you envisioned at the beginning of the season and instead you just sort of......LUCK.....into it!

Walk Worthy
yeah I get that taking a guard at 6 and 2 OL in first two rounds was not sexy but its reaping benefits. If we have a strong line for years to come it was worth it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (11-13-2018), Racehorse (11-13-2018), sherck (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
yeah I get that taking a guard at 6 and 2 OL in first two rounds was not sexy but its reaping benefits. If we have a strong line for years to come it was worth it.
I get the "positional value" discussion of those who say that you will never get the value out of the #6 spot with an OG....

...however, the results speak for themselves over the past 4 weeks. While Nelson is not the whole answer for our O-Line improvements, neither is any defender/WR/RB/QB that you would have picked there either. They are all part of a TEAM.

And as for me, I am dang glad we have Nelson on our TEAM. Those pancake blocks are a thing of beauty.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (11-13-2018), Spike (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
I get the "positional value" discussion of those who say that you will never get the value out of the #6 spot with an OG....

...however, the results speak for themselves over the past 4 weeks. While Nelson is not the whole answer for our O-Line improvements, neither is any defender/WR/RB/QB that you would have picked there either. They are all part of a TEAM.

And as for me, I am dang glad we have Nelson on our TEAM. Those pancake blocks are a thing of beauty.

Walk Worthy,
I think we would have been happy with several players. It was a very good draft. I have to say Nelson is having a bigger impact than any rookie guard I have seen. That helps ease the use of a top ten pick. I just hope we aren’t searching for a pass rusher for the next five years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
sherck (11-13-2018)