ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I agree, although from what I have heard of Owen's podcast that is not the case with him.

But can you blame most Colt fans? Most became fans because of Peyton's led Colts and that high scoring offense. Spending constant first round picks on weapons, quite a few of which failed. Even with so much scoring now, the SB still came down to defense. That and Sean McKay's ego and his inability to develop multiple contingency gameplans.
Yes, I can. I was a Colts fan before it, but I was 12 years old when Peyton Manning played his first NFL game. If anything, I should be the type of fan of which you speak. I'm not because I watched football and quickly figured out that scoring a lot of points doesn't matter if stopping the other team from scoring isn't a thing that happens.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discflinger View Post
But are they inordinate and do they outweigh the big play ability? Sorry, I just loved Reich's presser where he must have said inordinate four times about drops.
Yes I noticed that too …
Discflinger (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Depends what the picks are for me. Our top three? No. Our first and maybe a 4th? Sure. The probability he would have a bigger impact than whoever they draft at 26 is pretty good. The injury history does worry me, you just have to incorporate that in the equation and decide if the gamble is worth it or not. Best case is you get the most dynamic receiver in the league and would be a headache to defenses. Worst case, he is hurt a lot and plays half his games but is still a good weapon?

Can't we say that about everyone though? But stars make things easier and win games.
I don't disagree that OBJ would probably have a bigger impact than whoever was picked at 26 and the 4th round, IF I wasn't worried about his injuries. The guy has played one complete season.

Yes, we can say that about any one player. The big difference for OBJ specifically is that he checks about every negative box.

- Injuries
- Questionable locker room fit (whether or not you think this is important, Ballard does)
- Loss of picks
- Big cap dollars
- We have an elite QB that can elevate his WRs

Mid-tier QBs with middling offensive coaches need superstar WRs. Superstar QBs like Luck do still need weapons, but they don't need the best talent in the NFL in order to play at the highest levels. Especially with a coach like Reich in place, who is a strong offensive planner and is already a HC, so there's no threat of the OC leaving and a new system being implemented.

No denying OBJ is a great player but the risks involved with bringing him in are not worth it IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,664 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I don't disagree that OBJ would probably have a bigger impact than whoever was picked at 26 and the 4th round, IF I wasn't worried about his injuries. The guy has played one complete season.

Yes, we can say that about any one player. The big difference for OBJ specifically is that he checks about every negative box.

- Injuries
- Questionable locker room fit (whether or not you think this is important, Ballard does)
- Loss of picks
- Big cap dollars

Mid-tier QBs with middling offensive coaches need superstar WRs. Superstar QBs like Luck do still need weapons, but they don't need the best talent in the NFL in order to play at the highest levels. Especially with a coach like Reich in place, who is a strong offensive planner and is already a HC, so there's no threat of the OC leaving and a new system being implemented.

No denying OBJ is a great player but the risks involved with bringing him in are not worth it IMO.
Hard to argue with that. I might take the gamble because I think we need another weapon somewhere in the offense to open things up. However, it definitely will not happen b/c of points two and three you list.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Yes, I can. I was a Colts fan before it, but I was 12 years old when Peyton Manning played his first NFL game. If anything, I should be the type of fan of which you speak. I'm not because I watched football and quickly figured out that scoring a lot of points doesn't matter if stopping the other team from scoring isn't a thing that happens.
I guess my point is that, before Peyton, Indiana was a basketball state and still largely is. So most fans are casual and look at the previous model of success and say "Let's do that again." Even though they saw plenty of times the benefits of a stout defense, including the reason they actually won a SB.

Hence where a lot of the "we need a receiver more than anything" stuff comes from ie: we need the second coming of Reggie Wayne in order to be successful.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Your reasoning is solid, but I think this is more what you would do rather than what Ballard will do. While I agree that he'll be more active, I expect him to stay consistent with what he's said: he places a value on a player and won't go over it. I don't think there's any way he puts a $12MM/year value on Williams.
I forgot to add that both Sirianni and Reich coached Williams with the Chargers I believe.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discflinger View Post
But are they inordinate and do they outweigh the big play ability? Sorry, I just loved Reich's presser where he must have said inordinate four times about drops.
LOL. Did you listen to my 'Reich press conference" pod?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawrence Owen For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post

- Injuries
- Loss of picks
- Big cap dollars

I do not see #2 as a problem. As in, I don't see him as a locker room problem. Is he a character with personality? yes, absolutely. But we have players like that already, but they are not locker room problems. And neither do I think is OBJ. He is just a very fiery player, with strong emotions on the field. But he never, ever throws his players under the bus, or anything like that. He's stood up for his QB and other players on the team when push came to shove. That IMO shows that high character Ballard is looking for.
Ballard and Reich both have stated that yes, they would indeed get a big personality player, on a big contract, if it was the right fit. I can't think of a better fit, offensively, than OBJ. Defense is something entirely different, and we do have serious needs there. But if we can lock down our entire offense for the foreseeable future, and only have one side of the ball to have to focus on for the future,...why not do it? And our defense isn't bad right now either. It was top ten by the end of the year. They really picked up as the season progressed. We need a couple pass rushers, and some depth, (or stand-out) in the DB area.
Injury is an issue, I agree. But how less often do you think he'll get injured if he's not forced on every snap to fight off double coverage? With T.Y., and Ebron, and Doyle, teams can't focus on doubling him. 1-1 match-ups vrs OBJ?,...I'd take that every day, and 2ce on Sundays.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Re: OBJ, you can debate the merits of trading for him, but I just don't think there's a remote possibility Ballard would pay what it would take, so it's a non-starter for me.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I guess my point is that, before Peyton, Indiana was a basketball state and still largely is. So most fans are casual and look at the previous model of success and say "Let's do that again." Even though they saw plenty of times the benefits of a stout defense, including the reason they actually won a SB.

Hence where a lot of the "we need a receiver more than anything" stuff comes from ie: we need the second coming of Reggie Wayne in order to be successful.
Myself, no. I love the team's new identity.