ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
How do we know this though? Anderson has been a 3-4 end for the last 7 years going back to college. If you don't trust your coaches to make player evaluations, why even hire them then. I like Anderson, but he has been hurt for two years and it's not like either of them were pro-bowl players. They want lighter quick step one gap penetrating players. That is who they want to give snaps, and if they have guys they want to develop they will want to give them the snaps.

I think we are in year two of the rebuild.

I wish they could have fixed everything, but there just wasn't enough draft picks. It will take another draft.

The biggest thing I wish they had done was take a chance on Hurst. That heartbeat problem must be pretty bad.
Ya, when they said 3 yr rebuild most of us assumed we was starting year 2.... but they clarified and we are only in the 1st year of rebuilding.

Did you trust Pagano and Grigson evaluating player talent? Hello bowling ball of butcher knives Trent Richardson.

Henry Anderson was cheap talent still playing out his rookie contract and a much better player than the 7th round talent we drafted. Even if he is injury prone we have these rookies to do heavy rotations to keep them all fresh and less likely to get injured.

This draft was a C, maybe C+ at best when we had all those top 75 picks. There were a lot of great players that fell to us in the 2nd rounds where we had 3 picks and we drafted a 3rd round guard instead of a true difference maker.

Ballard doesn't get to claim he drafts talent above team need anymore. Pure and simple. Because there were loads of more talented skilled players than Braden Smith, and in positions of need to boot.

We got a few high risk high reward players, hopefully they pan out or this draft was more of a bust than a boom.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:46 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Ok but neither Hankins nor Anderson are Dwight Freeney level impact players. Solid but hardly irreplaceable.
Did I say either player was on Freeney's level? You are arguing against a point nobody made. The point is that these were talented, in-hand players and our staff just gave up on them. They haven't done enough to earn my trust in that kind of move. I think we will regret both moves.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Did I say either player was on Freeney's level? You are arguing against a point nobody made. The point is that these were talented, in-hand players and our staff just gave up on them. They haven't done enough to earn my trust in that kind of move. I think we will regret both moves.
I think we will especially regret the Hankins move. The Anderson move is unfortunate, but not on the same level of regret as the Hankins situation. Not only because Hankins is a superior player that excels in a niche role, but because other key target free agents will prefer signing with another team because the way Ballard structures the team friendly deals.

He could have had success in free agency this year, but I seriously think it gives other free agent players pause when Ballard offers a multi year deal and it turns out to just be a 1 year deal... especially when you played your ass off for the man renigging on his end of the deal.

There was blowback by letting Hankins go just to save a modest 8.5 million when we were close to $80 million under cap. Hankins is well worth that and he is a difference maker, not on the level as Freeney or Mathis, but that is because stopping runs for no gains isnt as gorious as the sack/strip masters.

Ballard is now sounding like Polian when it comes to free agency and building a team through a draft but it is an excuse for being snubbed by the players we ectended offers to. You can't build a team through free agency, but you sure can add a couple complimentary players and you can find guys to be part of the rebuild when some are just 24 yrs old, the same age as some rookies.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,664 Times in 2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt37 View Post
Ya, when they said 3 yr rebuild most of us assumed we was starting year 2.... but they clarified and we are only in the 1st year of rebuilding.

Did you trust Pagano and Grigson evaluating player talent? Hello bowling ball of butcher knives Trent Richardson.

Henry Anderson was cheap talent still playing out his rookie contract and a much better player than the 7th round talent we drafted. Even if he is injury prone we have these rookies to do heavy rotations to keep them all fresh and less likely to get injured.

This draft was a C, maybe C+ at best when we had all those top 75 picks. There were a lot of great players that fell to us in the 2nd rounds where we had 3 picks and we drafted a 3rd round guard instead of a true difference maker.

Ballard doesn't get to claim he drafts talent above team need anymore. Pure and simple. Because there were loads of more talented skilled players than Braden Smith, and in positions of need to boot.

We got a few high risk high reward players, hopefully they pan out or this draft was more of a bust than a boom.
Yes I did trust grigson and pagano to choose players to fit their scheme. Why hire them if you don't trust them? Maybe we shouldn't hire a GM and coach at all with that thinking. Just have Irsay do everything like Jerry Jones. A lot of people were wrong about Trent Richardson, he had the same hype as Saquon Barkley when he came out.

Who says Braden Smith is a 3rd round talent? I thought he was a mid second round talent and some people thought he was the third or second best guard in the draft. Opinions vary, and I saw plenty that ranged quite a bit. It was obvious all the teams saw the interior line players in this draft as very good players and some of the best in the draft. 3 of the first 5 picks in the second round were guards.

Seems if they traded Anderson for a 7th rounder, he was in danger of getting cut. If we cut him we get nothing. So the fact we got something I'm ok with. We got nothing for Hankins, who still hasn't been signed.

BPA/need whatever, as long as we get good players. There were so many needs on this team, every position was a need just about. Ballard said he wanted to improve the lines, which makes sense in a rebuild b/c usually lines take the longest to hit their peak.

C+ is fine, we will know in a couple years. I'm ok with the guards and LB, Turay and Lewis threw me a little but I think a lot of injured players drove Lewis up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Puck (04-29-2018), smitty46953 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:52 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Yes I did trust grigson and pagano to choose players to fit their scheme. Why hire them if you don't trust them? Maybe we shouldn't hire a GM and coach at all with that thinking. Just have Irsay do everything like Jerry Jones. A lot of people were wrong about Trent Richardson, he had the same hype as Saquon Barkley when he came out.

Who says Braden Smith is a 3rd round talent? I thought he was a mid second round talent and some people thought he was the third or second best guard in the draft. Opinions vary, and I saw plenty that ranged quite a bit. It was obvious all the teams saw the interior line players in this draft as very good players and some of the best in the draft. 3 of the first 5 picks in the second round were guards.

Seems if they traded Anderson for a 7th rounder, he was in danger of getting cut. If we cut him we get nothing. So the fact we got something I'm ok with. We got nothing for Hankins, who still hasn't been signed.

BPA/need whatever, as long as we get good players. There were so many needs on this team, every position was a need just about. Ballard said he wanted to improve the lines, which makes sense in a rebuild b/c usually lines take the longest to hit their peak.

C+ is fine, we will know in a couple years. I'm ok with the guards and LB, Turay and Lewis threw me a little but I think a lot of injured players drove Lewis up.
Problem with your take on Anderson is, he was arguably our best lineman. And he wasn’t a scheme issue. That is bs
Old 04-29-2018, 05:35 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I keep reading comments saying that Anderson was in danger of getting cut, so it's good they got something for him. The problem with that is thinking it was okay to even consider cutting Anderson at all.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:57 PM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

Having barely started the offseason program it would seem pretty hasty to be on the verge of cutting him.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Having barely started the offseason program it would seem pretty hasty to be on the verge of cutting him.
If you place developing your “own” guys over comepeting next year then its easy to see him being on the verge of being cut. I disagree with it, but to me it seems obvious Ballard is willing to write off a few seasons to develop the long term roster he wants.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
If you place developing your “own” guys over comepeting next year then its easy to see him being on the verge of being cut. I disagree with it, but to me it seems obvious Ballard is willing to write off a few seasons to develop the long term roster he wants.
Jesus, by the time the Colts are ready to compete Luck will be ready to retire!!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,664 Times in 2,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Problem with your take on Anderson is, he was arguably our best lineman. And he wasn’t a scheme issue. That is bs
What other conclusion is there than he wasn't fitting what Eberflus wanted to do? That or they figured they would not resign him and that he would steal snaps from another player they want to develop. We will disagree about his fit. I was saying he would probably be moved once I knew we were going back to a 4-3. I could swear I saw you say the same thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (04-29-2018)