ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default 2019 NFL Draft Thread

With comp picks now in, here are the Colts’ nine official picks in 2019:

» 1st round (26th overall)
» 2nd round (34th)
» 2nd round (59th)
» 3rd round (89th)
» 4th round (129th)
» 4th round (135th)(comp pick)
» 5th round (164th)
» 6th round (199th)
» 7th round (240th)

Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
With comp picks now in, here are the Colts’ nine official picks in 2019:

» 1st round (26th overall)
» 2nd round (34th)
» 2nd round (59th)
» 3rd round (89th)
» 4th round (129th)
» 4th round (135th)(comp pick)
» 5th round (164th)
» 6th round (199th)
» 7th round (240th)

Just throwing this out to look back after the draft to see if I’m starting to read Ballard correctly.

26 DT
34 EDGE
59 SS
89 WR
129 CB
135 OL
164 DT
199 LB
240 LB
Old 02-22-2019, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

1st round (26th overall). BPA
» 2nd round (34th). BPA
» 2nd round (59th). BPA
» 3rd round (89th). BPA
» 4th round (129th). BPA
» 4th round (135th)(comp pick). BPA
» 5th round (164th). BPA
» 6th round (199th). BPA
» 7th round (240th) BPA
Indiana V2 (02-24-2019), Racehorse (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 09:50 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

When is the draft? I am too lazy to look it up every time I forget, so this place is a good source for it.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
When is the draft? I am too lazy to look it up every time I forget, so this place is a good source for it.

April 25 - 27
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-23-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 09:54 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
I know right, using Google is so fucking hard. Lazy bastard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-24-2019), smitty46953 (02-23-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:34 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I know right, using Google is so fucking hard. Lazy bastard.
I know. Now I don't have to do it several times. All I have to do is go to my favorite source for Colts information. Heck, I didn't even have to do it once. Now, if I could just get someone to tell me when free agent season opens...
Old 02-24-2019, 12:25 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
1st round (26th overall). BPA
» 2nd round (34th). BPA
» 2nd round (59th). BPA
» 3rd round (89th). BPA
» 4th round (129th). BPA
» 4th round (135th)(comp pick). BPA
» 5th round (164th). BPA
» 6th round (199th). BPA
» 7th round (240th) BPA
This.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
I know. Now I don't have to do it several times. All I have to do is go to my favorite source for Colts information. Heck, I didn't even have to do it once. Now, if I could just get someone to tell me when free agent season opens...
http://bfy.tw/MShl
Racehorse (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:03 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Speaking of draft and such, found this on Reddit, whoever wrote this must be crazy, in the sense of the scope and detail in this. Puts Kiper to shame. Anyway it includes analysis of each teams needs and a breakdown of the FO, their tendencies and statements. Then he mapped out free agency and the draft for each team. Interesting and completely sensible picks for the Colts.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...24/mobilebasic

I will paste in the Colts relevant bits.
Free agency:
Latavius Murray: Indianapolis Colts - He wants to go somewhere as a starter but I just don’t see it happening, however if he’s smart, or if his agent his smart, he should be reaching out to the Colts himself. They need a guy like him, and I really think he could go there, behind that excellent offensive line, and set the league on fire. Listen to any Colts fan and they’re not exactly enamored with Mack, they think he got the bare minimum their excellent offensive line blocked for him and Hines is a change-of-pace guy and Willis is alright but he fumbles too much! (My brother-in-law is a Colts fan, he’s a fucking broken record. Yeah Todd, I feel fucking terrible for you, try one playoff victory in 53+ years. Dick). Anyway Murray’s a guy who get’s what’s blocked, and sometimes he gets more than what’s blocked, he’s still got that long speed from his younger days, I think he could quickly take over for Mack. He could be one of those cheap signings of the season.

Tyrell Williams: Indianapolis Colts - A lotta former Chargers heading to Indy which makes sense, Reich and other staff members overlapped in San Diego and Williams overlapped right along with them. He makes a lot of sense in Indianapolis, they’ve got Hilton and like 48 tight ends but they need more receivers, and they can afford to pay him which is good, since he’s definitely getting paid.

Kevin White: Indianapolis Colts - Kevin White plays hard, let’s get that out of the way upfront. Every time I watched him this year he was flying around and yelling and going all out. Have the injuries sapped him of some of the athleticism that made him a top 10 pick? Probably. But sometimes these things are funny. Sometimes it takes a couple of years of not re-injuring yourself to get back to yourself. That - and the joie de vivre with which he plays the game - are going to get him another shot, and here’s hoping he takes it. He’s an easy guy to root for. With the money Indy has, he’s certainly worth a flyer.

Za’Darius Smith: Indianapolis Colts - I have the Ravens making the very difficult but cost-based decision to bring back Suggs and let Smith go and the Colts say thank you very much and they pounce. The playoff loss to the Chiefs was a microcosm of their issues - they can’t get any pressure on the QB. Well they’ve got a shitload of cap space and it says here they try and remedy that issue in the short-term (see below), the medium-term (with Smith) and the long-term (via the draft). This is the time - and the year - to get help at the edge.

Justin Houston: Indianapolis Colts (Trade) - The Chiefs are on the verge of cutting Houston outright, though frankly I think they’ve leaked that info so the NFL world knows hey, this guy’s available. Send us your offers. Well the Colts have the cap space to afford him, the dire need, and if he doesn’t pan out they can move on pretty easily from him after this year. Plus Ballard should be plenty familiar with him. He’ll shift to a true end position in the Colts 4-3 and I think it might do him wonders, I always thought he was better suited for it. I have them giving up the 130th pick in the 4th round for Houston though I could see it being slightly lower than that, the Chiefs won’t have a lot of options if they want to clear out Houston’s cap space. They might just take a fifth rounder. But for our purposes we’ll call it a fourth, he’s a steal at that compensation under most circumstances.

Margus Hunt: Indianapolis Colts - They turned him into a player there’s no way they let him go now, not when they can afford him so easily.

Ronald Darby: Indianapolis Colts - As the best of the cash-flush teams the Colts get their pick of the CB litter and they opt for Darby who has it in him to be a superstar if he can just stay healthy. He’s also young which I think is important to Ballard, he wants a team to grow together and clearly believes in the process of becoming good, and Irsay has proved just patient enough to let him implement it. I think Quincy Wilson might make a quantum leap next year and of course Kenny Moore’s a badass but he’s still really more suited for the slot (and blitzing, geez, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better blitzer) so that leaves another spot open on the outside and while Pierre Desir is something of a Hopkins-stopper he still has his struggles with consistency and Darby would be a major upgrade.

Steven Nelson: Indianapolis Colts - Is this overkill for one position? Maybe, but the Colts can afford overkill. Signing Nelson to play alongside Darby allows Kenny Moore to shift into the slot and Quincy Wilson to develop at a more amenable pace. Nelson really came on last year but the Chiefs can’t afford to keep him, and Ballard would know him from his time there.

Draft:
26. Indianapolis Colts: Renell Wren, DT, Arizona State - I have a feeling a lot of Colts fans will hate this pick and demand I go WR but I have some issues with that. For starters, Chris Ballard has never been a part of an FO that drafted a WR early. The earliest was probably Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd round back when Ballard was in Chicago, but otherwise it’s been FAs and later-round guys. Also everything coming out of his mouth this offseason points to the idea that he likes the Colts WR corps more than the fans do, and I expect that’s especially true now that I’ve had him bring in Tyrell Williams. But he loves Deon Cain and likes Inman too (who I expect them to bring back), not to mention Daurice Fountain. Lastly I think Ballard knows they need to get heat on the QB. They’ve paid Za’Darius Smith and traded for Justin Houston in FA so they’ve got a lot of help on the edge, but the interior of their line is lacking. So, on Wren.... It’s seems way too high now but it won’t by draft day, he’s just too traitsy, and we know Ballard likes his traitsy guys as evidenced by his drafting of Kemeko Turay in the second last year. In fact Turay’s instructive... a guy with all the tools but up-and-down production. That’s Wren too. In fact Wren’s up-and-down production might be more excusable given there’s a better reason for it: his role at Arizona State was to occupy blockers, which is ridiculous for a man with his skill-set. I see him comped to Chris Jones a lot and I agree with that. Well Ballard was in Kansas City when they drafted Chris Jones, I have the strong suspicion he’s gonna see a lot of the latter in the former. I think it’s pretty clear he’s gonna test like a monster for a man his size, the only question is whether or not he can take the inconsistencies in his game and turn them into strengths the way Jones did.

34. Indianapolis Colts: Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama - I have to admit, I love this fit. While I think there’s been a lot of overreaction to Thompson’s horrible playoffs, I do think it served to illustrate some weaknesses that I’d been concerned about over the course of the season. Sometimes he seemed to process things so quickly and sometimes he didn’t, especially when he appeared to be made to think more than react. I suppose that’s true of everyone, but he had some odd lapses from time to time, as if he simply got overwhelmed. Obviously his tackling angles can sometimes be lacking as evidenced pretty regularly in the title game, and he often struggles to get guys to the ground. That said, when he’s on his game, he comes us off as an instinctive game-wrecker, capable of lining up in the slot, playing deep, or crashing the line of scrimmage. I’m interested to see how he tests... at times he looked like the fastest guy on the field, at other times he looked like one of the slowest. My hunch is he tests well. I just don’t think it’s possible to look so much faster than everyone else without being fast (instincts can only cover for so much), while over-thinking and hesitation can make a fast guy look slow. But here’s why I love the fit: Malik Hooker. Hooker’s maybe the best safety I’ve ever watched as far as range, he’ll be able to cover for a lot of Thompson’s weaknesses, allowing him to play to his strengths. And let’s not forget, for the first half of the 2018 college season, this guy was being talked about as a top 10 pick. I think this is a major over-correction, and I think it’s the Colts who benefit.

59. Indianapolis Colts: Dre’Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State - Why not double-up on one of the remarkably few positions of need on the Indy roster? The Colts struggled mightily to get pressure on opposing QBs last year, now they’ve brought in Justin Houston, Za’Darius Smith, Renell Wren and Dre’Mont Jones, Holdovers Kemoko Turay and Tyquan Lewis should improve, Margus Hunt was already great... they’re going to have it Philly-style, wave after wave of unstoppable pressure. Jones struggles to hold up in the run game but I expect him to add weight (he played light at Ohio State last year) and if you want to get pressure from the interior there’s not a lot of guys out there with his skills. He wreaks havoc, and he’s got sideline-to-sideline speed. From the interior of the line! It’s bonkers watching him chase some of the running backs down, they almost never pull away from him. I think the Colts are gonna like him.

90. Indianapolis Colts: Keelan Doss, WR, Cal-Davis - So they’ve added Tyrell Williams in free agency to help take the top off the defense along with T.Y. Hilton, they’ve got Deon Cain who can also get deep, they’ve got like twenty tight ends to work underneath and seams and such but what they don’t have is a guy who’s good at all of it. Doss can run underneath routes, you can move him into the slot, you can move him outside and he can win some catch-radius battles, he can even get deep if you need him to but I feel like the Colts will have that covered. And aside from his skill on the field, he’s the kind of guy that every FO/coaching staff will fall in love with. He’s a film junkie, all he wants to do is practice, he’s loyal to a fault (refused to transfer from Cal-Davis when it was clear he’d outgrown them), he’s a great blocker. He’s got the intangibles to go along with the tangibles and it pushes him up the board.

136. Indianapolis Colts (Compensatory): Malik Reed, LB, Nevada - So here’s a guy I think is being slept on. He spent most of his career in Reno terrorizing opposing offenses as an edge rusher before switching to linebacker his senior year, which, since he’s only around 6’2 240 was a good decision for his career. As you might expect, he had some growing pains, but he’s only going to get better. Here are some things we know about him: explosive first step. Like, one of the quickest in the draft. Great bend too, but he doesn’t have the long arms, which is the end of his chances at edge. He’s an animal with active hands and he won’t stay blocked, he takes it as any insult that you’re even trying. Obviously his coverage still needs some work and his long-speed is a question. If he can show up at the combine and run something decent he has a chance to go anywhere, really, but if he runs slow he’ll likely get pigeon-holed as a 3-4 end and special-teamer and his stock will drop. Personally I think he’s plenty fast enough, clearly, and the Colts have already spent a ton of time meeting with him at the NFLPA Bowl and you can see why. They’re offseason’s about pressure, pressure, pressure, from every position on the field. My hunch is Reed’s rookie season plays out like a redshirt year and then he gets a real chance to make a difference. You don’t find a lot of guys with his rush skills at the LB spot, you just have to make sure he has enough of the LB part to play regularly. He’s a projection, but he’s one worth making.