ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I don’t understand the big nickel very well and too lazy to look it up. Is it 2 FS over top and 1 SS in the box or 1FS over top and 2 SS?

Or maybe even something different than that?

Anyone?
The big nickel can be a fast LB or a big CB, usually a secondary guy though. You might have both and use the one depending on the team you play and their tendencies. A big nickle will often get stuck on a receiving TE since they are becoming more and more common.

Then you have straight up nickle which is just a CB or safety who can usually cover the slot.

The base package SS in this defense is usually a good 'in the box' defender which can come down and stop the run. But they also want Hooker to be able to come down and hit to help disguise their defense. It is still a work in progress but you could tell he was coming down more and more late in the season.

Guys that could be a big nickle/SS in this draft are:
Abrams
Oruwariye
Lonnie Johnson

Gardner-Johnson (I'm a little wary of Florida guys because Wilson was very underdeveloped when it came to studying film and offenses. But this guys is flying up boards bc he can play corner or safety)
Joejuan Williams
Iman Marshall

Mark McLauren (limited coverage ability)
Vosean Joseph (LB)
Chase Hanson (LB)
Ben-Burr Kiven (LB)

And I'm sure there is more