ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 10:45 PM

Thanked 1,238 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Bert's career didn't end because of his 2 shoulder separations with the Colts in the late 70's. He played 2 full seasons in 1980 and 1981 after missing large portions of the 1978 and 1979 seasons. He threw for over 3,000 yards in both of those seasons (in a time when that mark was still a pretty big deal/accomplishment.) He was completely recovered from those shoulder separations, and remained that way.

His career ended because of a severe neck injury that he sustained while playing with the Rams in the strike-shortened 1982 season.

8 years later, Bobby Beathard actually tried to coax Jones out of retirement to play for the Chargers in 1990 when he saw Bert throwing the ball more than 75 yards in an NFL quarterback contest. After giving it some thought, the 38 and-a-half year-old Jones declined the offer, citing advice from his doctor that re-injuring his neck could cause permanent damage, perhaps even paralysis.

o
I remember this well. Jones career ended after his neck injury against the Chiefs. The NFL quarterback challenge in 90' was a thing to behold. Bert finished first in the field of "old timers" and qualified to compete in the regular challenge against the current NFL quarterbacks. He finished third. THIRD! Beathard rightly concluded if Jones could compete on that level 8 years removed from his playing days he would likely fare even better when he got into "Game shape." Jones wisely declined the high risk offer.
Jones has more than once in interviews voiced his frustration that fans conclude his stint as an effective qb ended with his 78' injury. He pointed out that some of his best games came in 80' when he was fully healed and had gotten accustomed to his slightly altered throwing motion. His coaches and receivers stated that his velocity had actually improved due to his rehab weight training. His accuracy was as good as ever. If not saddled with a historically bad defense in 81' where opposing teams got up early and pinned their ears back it's likely he would have thrown fewer picks. His stat lines were deceptively misleading due to having his back to the wall week in and week out. Inept ownership, coaching, and management effectively ruined his career.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thorgrim For This Useful Post:
albany ed (09-13-2017), Colts And Orioles (09-12-2017), Spike (09-12-2017), YDFL Commish (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I remember this well. Jones career ended after his neck injury against the Chiefs. The NFL quarterback challenge in 90' was a thing to behold. Bert finished first in the field of "old timers" and qualified to compete in the regular challenge against the current NFL quarterbacks. He finished third. THIRD! Beathard rightly concluded if Jones could compete on that level 8 years removed from his playing days he would likely fare even better when he got into "Game shape." Jones wisely declined the high risk offer.
Jones has more than once in interviews voiced his frustration that fans conclude his stint as an effective qb ended with his 78' injury. He pointed out that some of his best games came in 80' when he was fully healed and had gotten accustomed to his slightly altered throwing motion. His coaches and receivers stated that his velocity had actually improved due to his rehab weight training. His accuracy was as good as ever. If not saddled with a historically bad defense in 81' where opposing teams got up early and pinned their ears back it's likely he would have thrown fewer picks. His stat lines were deceptively misleading due to having his back to the wall week in and week out. Inept ownership, coaching, and management effectively ruined his career.
The 80 club should have made the playoffs, the refs absolutely screwed
them out of about 3 games. The 81 D was the worst I have ever seen of
any NFL team, there was no chance. His comeback failed not because of
his shoulder but because the team screwed up the draft from '76 and
beyond. So naturally the solution was to trade him to the Rams for the 4th
pick in the first round of the '82 draft. which turned out to be Art Schlister
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bertjones For This Useful Post:
Spike (09-13-2017), Thorgrim (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=Thorgrim;26528]I remember this well. Jones career ended after his neck injury against the Chiefs. The NFL quarterback challenge in 90' was a thing to behold. Bert finished first in the field of "old timers" and qualified to compete in the regular challenge against the current NFL quarterbacks. He finished third. THIRD! Beathard rightly concluded if Jones could compete on that level 8 years removed from his playing days he would likely fare even better when he got into "Game shape." Jones wisely declined the high risk offer.
Jones has more than once in interviews voiced his frustration that fans conclude his stint as an effective qb ended with his 78' injury. He pointed out that some of his best games came in 80' when he was fully healed and had gotten accustomed to his slightly altered throwing motion. His coaches and receivers stated that his velocity had actually improved due to his rehab weight training. His accuracy was as good as ever. If not saddled with a historically bad defense in 81' where opposing teams got up early and pinned their ears back it's likely he would have thrown fewer picks. His stat lines were deceptively misleading due to having his back to the wall week in and week out. Inept ownership, coaching, and management effectively ruined his career.[/QUOT
"INEPT OWNERSHIP, COACHING, AND MANAGEMENT EFFECTIVELY RUINED HIS CAREER"...............................can you say Deja vu !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM

You beat me to that quote. Was thinking exactly the same thing.

Oldcolt, same thing here, really bummed. I don't post much and when I do I usually piss somebody off so I tend to avoid it, enjoy reading all the time.

I heard this morning somewhere on TV that Luck could be done or simply not want a long term contract (or OUT of whatever he has) bc of the shoulder (and nobody seems to want to protect the qb here) so he doesn't play, we continue the shitshow, get the first pick and grab Darnold.

It's a bizarre sport.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Pagano still the coach. I'm still bummed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-15-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Member when Daddy Irsay was still alive in the early 80's and guys like Pagel were the QB? That was worse, we have the eventual return of Luck to look forward too.
John Elway and Cornelius Bennet refused to be a Colt. Bert Jones demanded to be traded.

When Bert was hurt they couldn't win either.

I still think the modern downward spiral was Irsay giving in to nepotism. It all started with giving Chris Polian some control. Kravitz had an article about this a long time ago. I'd bet the better scouts left the organization and the picks started to reflect that.

It's hard to replace a guy like Bill Polian. People get old and walk away or not possible to be productive. We had 2 decades of great football. It ends and may take longer to build it back up. Knock Jim Irsay all you want but I bet it bothers him as much as anybody else. He can't find another Polian, he got another Manning, no E. James, no Freeney or Mathis, Saturday, Glenn. GMs don't seem to last very long. It is a different NFL and seems to lack a lot of quality in everything. Even Brady and BB wont last forever. How do you replace Billichick?
Old 09-14-2017, 01:43 AM

[QUOTE=njcoltfan;26546]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
Jones has more than once in interviews voiced his frustration that fans conclude his stint as an effective qb ended with his 78' injury. He pointed out that some of his best games came in 80' when he was fully healed and had gotten accustomed to his slightly altered throwing motion. His coaches and receivers stated that his velocity had actually improved due to his rehab weight training. His accuracy was as good as ever. If not saddled with a historically bad defense in 81' where opposing teams got up early and pinned their ears back it's likely he would have thrown fewer picks. His stat lines were deceptively misleading due to having his back to the wall week in and week out. Inept ownership, coaching, and management effectively ruined his career.[/QUOT
"INEPT OWNERSHIP, COACHING, AND MANAGEMENT EFFECTIVELY RUINED HIS CAREER"...............................can you say Deja vu !!!
The QBs didn't have the rules that protect more QBs these days. There was a rash of injuries starting to happen to good QBs and those hurt the TV ratings.

Few organization have never been blessed as the Colts with stud QBs. I look at the Bears and they haven't one yet that those who are alive can remember. I do worry Luck's career will be wasted by not having a supporting cast around him.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
John Elway and Cornelius Bennet refused to be a Colt. Bert Jones demanded to be traded.

When Bert was hurt they couldn't win either.

I still think the modern downward spiral was Irsay giving in to nepotism. It all started with giving Chris Polian some control. Kravitz had an article about this a long time ago. I'd bet the better scouts left the organization and the picks started to reflect that.

It's hard to replace a guy like Bill Polian. People get old and walk away or not possible to be productive. We had 2 decades of great football. It ends and may take longer to build it back up. Knock Jim Irsay all you want but I bet it bothers him as much as anybody else. He can't find another Polian, he got another Manning, no E. James, no Freeney or Mathis, Saturday, Glenn. GMs don't seem to last very long. It is a different NFL and seems to lack a lot of quality in everything. Even Brady and BB wont last forever. How do you replace Billichick?
But its not hard to replace a guy like Pagano ! Until hes gone, the Colts will go nowhere !!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (09-14-2017), sherck (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:18 PM
testcase448

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
but its not hard to replace a guy like pagano ! Until hes gone, the colts will go nowhere !!
not so, there is always further down