ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-02-2018, 05:11 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts
Default Colts-Jags super quick thoughts

1. My voice is strained because I yelled so fucking loud at my TV. I have not been this pissed off by a game in some time. Maybe ever.

2. I put the loss mostly on Frank Reich. He had no answers all day. None. His playcalling in gotta-have-it situations was atrocious. You draft Quenton Nelson sixth overall and are terrified to run it with your RB. Gotcha. These bullshit Pascal or Ebron sweeps or that 4th down play designed to go to Hewittt (who was covered anyway) were just terrible playcalls.

3. This game highlighted the huge need this team has at WR. Inman is fine catching gimme passes, but if he can't sit down in a zone, he's not giving you anything. Need someone who can win 50-50 balls.

4. The insistence on using Joe Haeg in this game was baffling. Once or twice would be OK. Reich apparently thinks Haeg is Walter Jones as a blocking option. He is not.

5. The final drive was badly mismanaged, but the Colts still got screwed by that call. People want to make it either/or. No. You can have bad clock management and still get screwed.

6. Sick of watching Marlon Mack leave yards on the field because his vision is absolutely shit. He is the worst runner on this team.

7. ...but it's compounded when the Colts put in Haeg and run to the strong side in tight sets. That's not the Colts' strength. Run out of the freaking shotgun. Jesus.

8. Eric Ebron was the most physical player on offense today, which says everything.

9. This team sorely missed Jack Doyle and Ryan Kelly today. Replacing Doyle with Haeg is dumb and ineffective. Boehm is clearly a backup.

10. Denico Autry had himself a game today, which was good to see.

11. Thought Darius Leonard was totally invisible today.

12. Colts really needed defensive points today, so seeing those instances where they played 15 yard off umbrella coverage on 3rd-and-15 was really frustrating. The ball was there to be turned over, to be honest.

13. I love what I see from Tyquan Lewis. At the very worst, he's going to be a pocket-crusher at DE. Would still like to see more of him at 3-tech. I think he's living up to his hype, though. He's making QBs step up consistently. Fed Autry some of that pressure today.

14. This loss sucks but Jacksonville's defense is really good. This isn't an anomaly. Their QB just blows. I hate Jalen Ramsey as much as the rest of you, but dude is a baller. It's tough when this team is rolling so unexpectedly, to hit such a speed bump like this. But long-term, I still really like a lot of what's in place. This team needs some talent infusion at skill positions (even RB1, folks), but they're not far off.

15. Reich needs to get better with timeout usage. Faked going for it on 4th down to punt in first half, wasted a timeout instead of just taking a 5 yard penalty and punting (dumb). Has had a few of those situations this year.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Chaka (12-03-2018), Colt Classic (12-02-2018), Coltsalr (12-02-2018), DrSpaceman (12-02-2018), dwilli57 (12-02-2018), omahacolt (12-02-2018), Racehorse (12-02-2018), sherck (12-03-2018), smitty46953 (12-02-2018), Spike (12-02-2018), Wyatt (12-03-2018), YDFL Commish (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:23 PM

Hot take: this team isn't good and has played average to bad teams all year and just happened to come out on top several games in a row. Fool's gold to cover up what most saw as a 6-7 win team from the start. Sure there are some players, but not enough of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt Classic For This Useful Post:
DrSpaceman (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:25 PM

Good point on being scared to run.

Luck had 52 pass attempts today....what happened to sticking with the run?

Mack: 8 carries
Hines: 4 carries

We weren't down by 20+ points....
sherck (12-03-2018), VeveJones007 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:51 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Nice to score zero points and not have it a blowout. Good game if we learn from it. I gotta believe people were real happy with themselves for winning and all the deservingly good press they’ve gotten lately. Human nature. Hopefully they hate how this feels and start to learn how to stay focused over a long season. That and we gotta get some more high caliber skill guys. Lousy way to spend an afternoon
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Spike (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:57 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
1. My voice is strained because I yelled so fucking loud at my TV. I have not been this pissed off by a game in some time. Maybe ever.

2. I put the loss mostly on Frank Reich. He had no answers all day. None. His playcalling in gotta-have-it situations was atrocious. You draft Quenton Nelson sixth overall and are terrified to run it with your RB. Gotcha. These bullshit Pascal or Ebron sweeps or that 4th down play designed to go to Hewittt (who was covered anyway) were just terrible playcalls.

3. This game highlighted the huge need this team has at WR. Inman is fine catching gimme passes, but if he can't sit down in a zone, he's not giving you anything. Need someone who can win 50-50 balls.

4. The insistence on using Joe Haeg in this game was baffling. Once or twice would be OK. Reich apparently thinks Haeg is Walter Jones as a blocking option. He is not.

5. The final drive was badly mismanaged, but the Colts still got screwed by that call. People want to make it either/or. No. You can have bad clock management and still get screwed.

6. Sick of watching Marlon Mack leave yards on the field because his vision is absolutely shit. He is the worst runner on this team.

7. ...but it's compounded when the Colts put in Haeg and run to the strong side in tight sets. That's not the Colts' strength. Run out of the freaking shotgun. Jesus.

8. Eric Ebron was the most physical player on offense today, which says everything.

9. This team sorely missed Jack Doyle and Ryan Kelly today. Replacing Doyle with Haeg is dumb and ineffective. Boehm is clearly a backup.

10. Denico Autry had himself a game today, which was good to see.

11. Thought Darius Leonard was totally invisible today.

12. Colts really needed defensive points today, so seeing those instances where they played 15 yard off umbrella coverage on 3rd-and-15 was really frustrating. The ball was there to be turned over, to be honest.

13. I love what I see from Tyquan Lewis. At the very worst, he's going to be a pocket-crusher at DE. Would still like to see more of him at 3-tech. I think he's living up to his hype, though. He's making QBs step up consistently. Fed Autry some of that pressure today.

14. This loss sucks but Jacksonville's defense is really good. This isn't an anomaly. Their QB just blows. I hate Jalen Ramsey as much as the rest of you, but dude is a baller. It's tough when this team is rolling so unexpectedly, to hit such a speed bump like this. But long-term, I still really like a lot of what's in place. This team needs some talent infusion at skill positions (even RB1, folks), but they're not far off.

15. Reich needs to get better with timeout usage. Faked going for it on 4th down to punt in first half, wasted a timeout instead of just taking a 5 yard penalty and punting (dumb). Has had a few of those situations this year.
good post gbb.

only thing i slightly disagree with is that Lewis didn't impress me all that much. yes he got pressure but it was Ereck flowers. how can a good player not consistently beat him like a drum?

i could be too hard on the guy
Old 12-02-2018, 06:21 PM

i have some thoughts as well

1) terrible coaching. zero answers to the jags defense. all game long. credit to the jags for being disciplined and never relenting. it actually reminded me of the times manning came back with the broncos and the colts d was just dialed the fuck in every snap.

2) the first game, there were two broken coverages by Barry Church that gave ebron tds. he was benched this game. when watching earlier this week i had a feeling if we couldn't capitalize on mistakes, this might be a tough game. the jags simply didn't make hardly any mistakes on defense.

3) is there anything we can do to get a tough offense? all the talk about this oline being tough guys but they get bullied a lot. especially in the run game. we cant run when we want. we have moments but we really are one dimensional. this oline isn't fixed until that is fixed. i am so tired of always being bullied up front.

4) i don't pay attention enough i guess but do all teams load the box to run? what happened to spreading teams out and running?

5) our running game was nowhere to be found and nobody could get open as a wr, can we please use our rb's more in the pass game?

6) fuck ryan grant. seriously. fuck that guy. get him off the field. bring up the other rookie and see what he has at this point. play pascal. but stop playing this idiot because ballard was dumb enough to sign him.

7) stop playing haeg at te and play swoope. going heavy on oline isn't working

8) that call by the ref at the end? dude should be fired. that is just inexcusable. seriously. he should be fired. this is not an overreaction or a joke.

9) the colts seem to always find a way to lose to shit bag qb's like cody kessler. this seems to be a culture thing. we make backup qb's look great or we at least let them hang in there. this has been going on since manning was here.

10.) autry finally showed up. 2nd time this year he had a good game. good to see. still the dude gets too much playing time.

11) not sure how you can judge the secondary much. they were hardly threatened.

12) 3rd and 13 dump off goes for a first down in the 4th quarter. are you fucking kidding me?

13) simply couldn't protect luck to work down the field and when we did, the wr's couldnt get open. who has worse wr's than the colts?

14) i thought hunt brought his A game today. many times he blew up the double team.

15) where is turay?

16) end of game clock management was just atrocious. Luck has to be better than that. seconds just clicking away for no reason. that might have been the worst part of the game for me.

17) colts were punched in the mouth. they responded by going to to the ropes and just covering up. fits with their history.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Chaka (12-03-2018), DrSpaceman (12-02-2018), VeveJones007 (12-03-2018), Wyatt (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:22 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

This was a Frank Reich Andrew Luck loss. Mostly a Frank Reich loss, and he has to own it.

He wasn't playing the Chiefs...it's the fucking Jags, 9 pt. wins this game and 6 sends it to OT. Take the fucking points Frank!

Luck just missed some throws that he needed to make and on the int had a wide open Inman for 7 or 8 yds.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
This was a Frank Reich Andrew Luck loss. Mostly a Frank Reich loss, and he has to own it.

He wasn't playing the Chiefs...it's the fucking Jags, 9 pt. wins this game and 6 sends it to OT. Take the fucking points Frank!

Luck just missed some throws that he needed to make and on the int had a wide open Inman for 7 or 8 yds.
I like coaches being agrressive. I also understand it will nite is at times and I am ok with that. My thing is that if you are going to be aggressive, have a damn good plan
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM

So, who supports drafting a WR in the first round?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
So, who supports drafting a WR in the first round?
Not me