ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-30-2023, 03:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Anthony Richardson starts: It's Shane Steichen's call

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...l/70166820007/

Quote:

INDIANAPOLIS — From the sounds of it, Colts owner Jim Irsay is in lockstep with new head coach Shane Steichen on the best way to develop the team’s new franchise quarterback.

Anthony Richardson has to play.

Maybe right away.

While there are a lot of draft analysts and experts who have spent the draft process saying that Richardson needed time to sit behind an experienced starter and develop, Irsay believes a rookie should play as soon as he’s ready.

“I think it’s important,” Irsay said. “You get better by playing. Training camp, and preseason games, and being in the quarterback room, that’s all great, but you get better by playing, and it’s something that’s really important, because again, his development has so much to do with the franchise’s future.”

Irsay said he’d leave the decision up to Steichen, who didn’t rule out the possibility of Richardson playing right away after the pick was made Thursday night.

“It’s going to be Shane’s call, if (Richardson’s) ready to start the opening game,” Irsay said. “These guys gotta play to get better. Everyone knows that.

A rookie quarterback starting the season opener is not the norm in the NFL. Only 10 of the 29 quarterbacks taken in the first round over the past decade ended up taking the field as the season-opening starter.

But Irsay’s history with first-round quarterbacks is different.

Peyton Manning played right away, struggling through his rookie season in Indianapolis. Andrew Luck took the Colts back to the playoffs.

Richardson isn’t as polished a prospect as the two Indianapolis legends were. The No. 4 pick started just 13 games at Florida, and general manager Chris Ballard made it clear Thursday night that the Colts chose Richardson because of his incredible potential.

“We like what he can be,” Ballard said.

Irsay understands. As excited as he is about the possibilities Richardson brings, Irsay knows developing the new Colts quarterback is going to take patience.

“With Anthony, it’s definitely more of a gamble at (No. 4) than (No. 1) than Peyton was,” Irsay said. “They all had some things we had to talk about, in terms of concerns, and I really felt Anthony was the guy. A big part of it was, Shane and I had a long talk about ‘What does it take to develop a pure passer?’”

Steichen took Irsay through the work he’d done on Richardson, outlining the plays he’d seen on tape that suggested Richardson could improve his accuracy and efficiency in the passing game.

The presence of Steichen is also one of the reasons Irsay and the Colts believe that Richardson might be able to play faster than everybody else expects. Steichen rose through the coaching ranks quickly because of his ability to work with young quarterbacks, highlighting their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses while they develop.

If Richardson plays right away as a rookie, the Colts likely will not ask him to carry the offense alone.

“You hope so, that Shane’s going to create an offense, simplify things,” Irsay said. “Jonathan Taylor coming back is a huge plus, because of the double threat of their speed. Both of them are unprecedented players at their position, in terms of size, speed, what they can do.”

Richardson’s rushing ability could help him get on the field faster. Because of his ability to pick up yards with his legs, the Colts can design an offense around that, the way Steichen designed the Eagles offense for Jalen Hurts in his first full year as a starter in 2021.

“We’re hoping to create the perfect storm with him, and Jonathan Taylor, and that offensive line,” Irsay said.

Irsay also believes that Richardson has the right mental makeup to deal with the pressure of playing right away as the No. 4 pick. Manning had it; the best player in Colts history struggled through a 3-13 season as a rookie, the kind of season that could shake almost anybody’s confidence.

Richardson, who won’t turn 21 until next month, has already been through disappointment like that, failing to produce the results most people expected at Florida, in part because of the roster and the coaching staff around him.

“You can just see, in his eyes, when you look in his eye, what kind of man he is,” Irsay said. “He’s up to the task, mature beyond his years.”

Richardson is going to have to be.

Irsay understands that. As excited as he is about Richardson’s potential, the Colts owner preached patience to the Indianapolis fan base.

“I have to imagine, if he plays the whole season, it’s going to be tough,” Irsay said. “It’s going to be more difficult than easy.”

But Irsay believes that throwing Richardson into the fire is the right thing to do.

Richardson’s lack of experience was the biggest knock on his draft stock. The only way to correct that is to give him the game experience he lacks, and the Colts are willing to go through some lumps early to help Richardson reach his ceiling.

“Him developing into an outstanding quarterback in this league is going to determine where we go, how far we go and how long we go,” Irsay said. “Everything’s going to be based around that. That’s going to be the primary reason for starting him opening day, is you get better by playing.”

As quickly as possible.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
apballin (04-30-2023), CletusPyle (04-30-2023), Colts And Orioles (04-30-2023), Dewey 5 (04-30-2023), Racehorse (04-30-2023), ukcolt (04-30-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 06:44 PM

I was listening to Chris Simms unbuttoned podcast when he was ranking the QB's and then also when he was doing his mock draft predictions and he was in essence saying he has immense physical traits, but has played so little, that the only way he is actually going to improve is to make the mistakes on the job, and that he needs to be thrown into the lions den from day 1.

Coaching, training camp, film study only does so much. He is so incredibly raw, but appears to have the right mental makeup to be someone who is going to succeed in the NFL.
Old 04-30-2023, 11:06 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

+700 to win rookie of the year
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 08:07 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
I was listening to Chris Simms unbuttoned podcast when he was ranking the QB's and then also when he was doing his mock draft predictions and he was in essence saying he has immense physical traits, but has played so little, that the only way he is actually going to improve is to make the mistakes on the job, and that he needs to be thrown into the lions den from day 1.

Coaching, training camp, film study only does so much. He is so incredibly raw, but appears to have the right mental makeup to be someone who is going to succeed in the NFL.
I agree, provided our OL is adequate enough to keep him from being repeatedly blindsided, and pummeled! He's going to get hit, sacked, and occasionally roughed up, it's the NFL, but we can't just let him get the hell beat out of him every game! I am totally onboard with this pick, I think we have our franchise QB for years to come if we can protect him!
Racehorse (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 09:22 AM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts

I’ll be surprised if he’s ready right away. Maybe later in the season, but not right out of the gate, especially if they’re gonna change his mechanics.

He’s got a lot to learn.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
I’ll be surprised if he’s ready right away. Maybe later in the season, but not right out of the gate, especially if they’re gonna change his mechanics.

He’s got a lot to learn.
I feel the same way. It's tough enough on rookie QBs, but he's much more inexperienced than most rookies. If he's put into the fire too soon, he may start relying too much on his athleticism and not learn all the necessary nuances of the position. I'm hoping they start with Minshew and have him on the bench right next to the QB coach Cam Turner. Then after at least 4 or 5 games, get his ass in there. Unless of course Minshew is pro bowling it.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:38 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

o

On the Colts' first play from scrimmage for the 2023 season, I would like to see ......

Anthony Richardson throw a pass immediately to the wide receiver lined up on the right side of the ball, have that receiver run a few steps back toward the middle of the field, then have said receiver pitch the ball back to Richardson who will be running behind the receiver and away from the middle of the field, and then have Richardson run 75 yards into the end-zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Z9-QCmZyw

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (05-01-2023), Racehorse (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 09:46 AM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

In a vacuum, sticking him out there to learn is the best method, in my opinion. If you're worried about him losing confidence or whatever, I'd say he's not got the mettle you want in your QB anyway.

That said, I don't think the roster is anywhere close to as bad as a lot of fans think. If they think we can compete with Minshew at QB, I'd expect Richardson on the bench longer. I would think they'd believe winning week-to-week trumps the benefit of live game experience for Richardson.

Now if Minshew is just straight trash... put the kid in and expedite the process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
albany ed (05-01-2023), Racehorse (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 10:07 AM

He needs to start immediately, you tailor the offense to what he can actually do. That's what i believe Steichen is very good at doing. You then slowly progress him as the season moves along and he gets more and more comfortable.

Without the live bullets i just don't see how he is going to gain any tangible experience to be able to properly develop. But you do need to make sure you are not asking him to do things out of his comfort level too soon.

I don't mind 3 interception games, if he is making the right reads, or he is trying to make a play on the run etc, so long as he is then learning from these experiences and cutting them out for the next games. From all reports, he is a very strong character and football is his life, and he is completely dedicated to it. So it all feels like he is the perfect candidate to develop quickly.

We need to lean on our running game, and using the middle of the field, whilst also trying to create space by throwing some deep throws to Pierce to stretch the field. Do that, and it creates more holes in the 10-15 yard range. Get 8 men in the box to stop the run and then try to utilise the space behind.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:25 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

On the Colts' first play from scrimmage for the 2023 season, I would like to see ......

Anthony Richardson throw a pass immediately to the wide receiver lined up on the right side of the ball, have that receiver run a few steps back toward the middle of the field, then have said receiver pitch the ball back to Richardson who will be running behind the receiver and away from the middle of the field, and then have Richardson run 75 yards into the end-zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Z9-QCmZyw

o
Adding The Temptations to this post saved it!