ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-27-2018, 07:56 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
Ballard on his approach to 2018 free agency...........

“I’ve said this all the time: we want to grow our own, and we want to build with homegrown Colts guys we draft. So we’ll be very selective,” Ballard told Andrew Walker of Colts.com. “You want to try to plug as many holes as you can going into the draft so you’re not driven for a need. But, saying that, we want to make sure we’re a good drafting team, and you’ve got to be very careful in free agency.”

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/...chris-ballard/
Grab O-linemen in free agency, draft Chub and the Colts are in great shape. Overpay for premium guards in free agency, I don't give a shit, Colts and Luck need this O-line to be good for a change. I like Kelly and Castanzo, but the rest can be upgraded.
DrSpaceman (01-28-2018), Oldcolt (01-27-2018), YDFL Commish (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,200 Posts

I agree, but it doesn't necessarily need to be guards. It could be guard and RT.
My problem is, that between Clark, Good and Haeg, I don't know what position any of them are best at.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:24 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I agree, but it doesn't necessarily need to be guards. It could be guard and RT.
My problem is, that between Clark, Good and Haeg, I don't know what position any of them are best at.
Good is a rt. Can’t rely on him for 16

Haeg is a 6 man. I think he could be a quality lg

Clark is an unknown
Old 01-28-2018, 12:29 AM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
I agree, but what free agent tackle would you attempt to sign?

Solder is 29 and has a recent history of injuries.
Ja’Wuan James appears to be pretty good.
Chris Hubbard is average.
Cameron Fleming is also average, but young so he might develop.

Although average may be better than what we already have. James may be the best of the bunch and he is only 25 years old.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 AM

Thanked 4,374 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Pff sucks
The problem with PFF and any other measurement for football is that it rarely takes into account schemes or who the players on either side of the guy is. A guy playing in Baltimore's defense a few years ago will shine because of the overall talent and the scheme. Put that guy on the Browns and he will stink it up with the rest of them. That is why you can't really trust their numbers. Players have to pass the eye test, too.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
The problem with PFF and any other measurement for football is that it rarely takes into account schemes or who the players on either side of the guy is. A guy playing in Baltimore's defense a few years ago will shine because of the overall talent and the scheme. Put that guy on the Browns and he will stink it up with the rest of them. That is why you can't really trust their numbers. Players have to pass the eye test, too.
correct

but there are many other reasons why you can't trust their numbers. anyone that thinks their rankings are legit are fools. complete idiots.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:49 PM

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Good is a rt. Can’t rely on him for 16

Haeg is a 6 man. I think he could be a quality lg

Clark is an unknown
I like Good at RT better as well.

Clark got in Pagano's dog house in preseason, and rarely got on the field, so yeah who knows.

I would probably like to see an upgrade from Haeg. But on a quality OL, if he were the weakest link, I guess I could live w/that.

Anybody have any idea what type of blocking schemes McDaniel's prefers? His hire for an OL will be critical.

If I were to guess based on what the Pats have done, we will be looking at athletic linemen vs big fatties that can't move.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
I agree. I think we will add a WR in free agency but I'm thinking they will target an Amendola-like guy on a modest contract
Could that be Moncrief? If he is expecting a huge payday he's making a mistake.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I like Good at RT better as well.

Clark got in Pagano's dog house in preseason, and rarely got on the field, so yeah who knows.

I would probably like to see an upgrade from Haeg. But on a quality OL, if he were the weakest link, I guess I could live w/that.

Anybody have any idea what type of blocking schemes McDaniel's prefers? His hire for an OL will be critical.

If I were to guess based on what the Pats have done, we will be looking at athletic linemen vs big fatties that can't move.
Clark got in his doghouse, apparently Morris did as well as Q. Wilson. One of the many reasons it is good to have Pagano gone. IIRC Clark was part of the o-line for the last 4 games of 2016, a unit that I think Colts fans thought was beginning to look like a keeper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indycolts2 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-28-2018), Racehorse (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycolts2 View Post
Could that be Moncrief? If he is expecting a huge payday he's making a mistake.

My knee jerk reaction is no.....I just don't like his attitude and for anyone to underperform in a contract year is hard to understand. That said, he clearly has some athletic ability and who knows, maybe McDaniels and his staff will help bring a new sense of discipline to the organization. Venturi has argued a few times for bringing Moncrief back. He thinks there will be no market for him externally based on what he's shown this year so we should be able to resign him cheap and he argues that based on Chud/Pagano's "coloring book" scheme we really don't have enough data to judge his true potential. Net, net.....I'm not going to be upset if they resign him on a modest contract. I also wont shed any tears if Ballard shows the same cold blooded approach as Belicheck.....you don't perform, you get cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
indycolts2 (01-29-2018)