ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 10:34 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,569 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Jamal has reportedly stated that he would finish out his rookie contract if he is traded to a team on his preferred list. According to Schefter, the Colts are not on that list of 7 teams.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...33195125710848

Jamal is reportedly not only wanting to be the highest paid safety in the league - but he wants to blow the top off of the safety market. He is asking for a contract in excess of $20MM/year. I know that is the opening offer and in the end he will probably settle for much less, but if the Colts offer Adams a contract even in the high teens, it will make it extremely difficult for the Colts to offer the Maniac a long term deal after his rookie contract expires.

https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/stat...78364576116737
Why the Texans? BOB is incompetent. Also, Adams is crazy if he thinks he's getting top tier pass rusher money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
You weren't. It's all good. Adams is a strong safety anyways and Hooker is a free safety. It just got my interest up...until I saw the wage demands and position conflict. Cheers
After drafting Khari Willis and Julian Blackmon in consecutive years, I doubt it would be much of a position conflict. In a 2 high shell, Willis could easily play free safety, leaving strong safety for Adams (or Blackmon).
Old 06-20-2020, 10:40 AM

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Why the Texans? BOB is incompetent.
1. Jamal is originally from the state of Texas. He grew up near Dallas. He would be closer to friends and family.

2. "BOB is incompetent" - Exactly for this reason. BOB is a terrible GM. He has been handing out ridiculous contracts. Tunsil got a huge contract on his own without an agent present during the negotiations.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:49 AM

Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
Ah. Fuck that. Nevermind.
The top safeties are making $14 million per year, so I assume he's asking for $15 million+ per year.

Seems kinda high to me for a non-premium position.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Not interested in Adams. The game is phasing out thumpers. He has two career interceptions. We need more secondary turnovers, not less.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (06-22-2020), YDFL Commish (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 02:30 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
1. Jamal is originally from the state of Texas. He grew up near Dallas. He would be closer to friends and family.

2. "BOB is incompetent" - Exactly for this reason. BOB is a terrible GM. He has been handing out ridiculous contracts. Tunsil got a huge contract on his own without an agent present during the negotiations.
They also have a good young QB and have made the playoffs consistently.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:30 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Not interested in Adams. The game is phasing out thumpers. He has two career interceptions. We need more secondary turnovers, not less.
Using INTs to judge pass defense is like using sacks to judge pass rush. It's a good indicator, but also incomplete. Adams also has 25 PDs in 3 years for an average of 9 per year between PDs and INTs. Add in the 6 FFs, 12 sacks, 28 TFL, and 23 QB hits, and Adams seems more like a defensive playmaker than a thumper. To me, that word describes a good run defender who is a liability in pass coverage and offers little else aside from the good run defense. Adams doesn't seem to be that to me.

Quote:
They also have a good young QB and have made the playoffs consistently.
Good is debatable, let's see how he does without Hopkins.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Landon Collins was supposed to set the market for safeties last year.
When Collins signed a 6 year, $84,000,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $44,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,000,000. Believe he is highest paid safety in league right now. Adams is damn good but not worth $20M per. IMHO
Brylok (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 06:24 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Using INTs to judge pass defense is like using sacks to judge pass rush. It's a good indicator, but also incomplete. Adams also has 25 PDs in 3 years for an average of 9 per year between PDs and INTs. Add in the 6 FFs, 12 sacks, 28 TFL, and 23 QB hits, and Adams seems more like a defensive playmaker than a thumper. To me, that word describes a good run defender who is a liability in pass coverage and offers little else aside from the good run defense. Adams doesn't seem to be that to me.

Good is debatable, let's see how he does without Hopkins.
Adams has 25 pds and only two int’s. That doesn’t strike you as low for a defensive playmaker? A defensive playmaker who just doesn’t make those defensive plays in the passing game. I consider Derwin James and Fitzpatrick defensive playmakers, guys that make plays at the los and in the backfield. What Adams seems to be is a guy who needs to play close to the los to make plays and is averaging almost a hundred tackles a season. Sacks, pressures, and tfl’s are great but he seems like a thumper to me. Maybe a lb playing safety. He does certain things well, I just don’t see it as what we need at the moment.

Regardless, whether we perceive him as good/overrated a lot of the players and league think he is a promising young QB.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 06-20-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:07 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Adams has 25 pds and only two int’s. That doesn’t strike you as low for a defensive playmaker? A defensive playmaker who just doesn’t make those defensive plays in the passing game. I consider Derwin James and Fitzpatrick defensive playmakers, guys that make plays at the los and in the backfield. What Adams seems to be is a guy who needs to play close to the los to make plays and is averaging almost a hundred tackles a season. Sacks, pressures, and tfl’s are great but he seems like a thumper to me.

Regardless, whether we perceive him as good/overrated a lot of the players and league think he is a promising young QB.
Derwin James had 16 PDs + INTs in his best year. Adams had 13. That's not a huge difference. Then factor in that James hasn't forced a fumble in the NFL, has 7 TFLs, 3.5 sacks, 6 QB hits, and missed most of 2019, and it strikes me as odd that you'd call James a playmaker and Adams a thumper. Adams creates far more positive defensive plays. Honestly looking at Adams's height and weight, he might even be able to be an effective LB or big nickel for the Colts in a hypothetical trade scenario. He's not worth $20 million, though.

I've seen enough of Watson that I'm unconvinced that he's anything better than average, and his receiver group took a HUGE hit losing Hopkins. Players and the league often overvalue certain players for varying reasons.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:53 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Derwin James had 16 PDs + INTs in his best year. Adams had 13. That's not a huge difference. Then factor in that James hasn't forced a fumble in the NFL, has 7 TFLs, 3.5 sacks, 6 QB hits, and missed most of 2019, and it strikes me as odd that you'd call James a playmaker and Adams a thumper. Adams creates far more positive defensive plays. Honestly looking at Adams's height and weight, he might even be able to be an effective LB or big nickel for the Colts in a hypothetical trade scenario. He's not worth $20 million, though.

I've seen enough of Watson that I'm unconvinced that he's anything better than average, and his receiver group took a HUGE hit losing Hopkins. Players and the league often overvalue certain players for varying reasons.
James has only played his rookie year, his sophmore season ended early bc of injury. Still he was able to surpass Adams int total in just his rookie year. I call Adams a thumper bc he makes his best plays near the los, not in the secondary or both. I think Sanders was a thumper, its not a negative term. He was decent in space and could break on the ball if he wanted to, although he dropped a few he should have caught, but he played best coming down to the los and was known as a big hitter like Adams is. If thats what we wanted our SS to do then I think he would be a good get, not for 20 million of course. I think they want guys that can make breaks on the ball in the air and cause turnovers in the passing game and play the run. If you want a safety that can blitz off the edge, make plays in the backfield, and knock the hell out of guys, then Adams should be your guy. Personally I would make him a will lb, I bet he would do well in this style of defense as a will.

As for Watson, I don't necessarily disagree, but the guy is 24 and I think he has a much more positive rep around the league than that.