ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I sure the fuck hope that isn't why Chud hasn't left

It doesn’t sound like McDaniels would be holding onto Monachino, either:

@RapSheet
One name to watch with #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels and his next destination (likely #Colts): #Cowboys LBs coach Matt Eberflus is his top choice as DC. Eberflus is a free agent.

For those unfamiliar with Eberflus (as I was), here’s a Cowboys fan blog raving about him:

Quote:

Per the norm, Ian Rapoport took to NFL Network on Sunday morning to discuss the latest from around the NFL. Among the subjects were top coordinators who will be free agents in 2018.

While the discussions of Cowboys fans these last few days have centered around Scott Linehan and Rod Marinelli, it’s Matt Eberflus who would cause the most harm should he depart. It’s believed he’ll have an opportunity for a promotion in no time.

Among other notable coaches with expiring contracts are Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo and Dallas Cowboys linebackers coach/passing game coordinator Matt Eberflus. Both will be strong candidates for coordinator jobs elsewhere; DeFilippo is also expected to draw interest as a head-coaching candidate.
You’ll note that Coach Flus has a unique job title relative to those mentioned alongside him as he’s the Cowboys linebackers coach and passing game coordinator. The latter came as a promotion following the 2015 season, and it’s one that was well-deserving.

A case could be made that the best coach on the Cowboys is indeed Matt Eberflus. What element of the team has shown the most consistency over the last few seasons more than his linebackers, besides maybe the offensive line?

Eberflus has made things work with limited options at times. Of course he’s had Sean Lee, but due to injuries he’s also had to work with players like Rolando McClain, Justin Durant, Damien Wilson, and Anthony Hitchens. Hitch is even considered by many as this team’s most important free agent (as far as players are concerned).

Matt Eberflus has also been critical in the development of Jaylon Smith, who granted still has a long way to go. It should also be noted how critical of a role he’s also played in Sean Lee’s development. The Ringer reported on their relationship back in January.

In addition to attending the Cowboys’ scheduled defensive meetings, Lee and fellow linebacker Justin Durant join Eberflus for 50-minute morning sessions they call the Breakfast Club, a signal-callers’ get-together aimed at digging through the minutiae of an opposing offense: every Darren Sproles carry, every Jordan Reed route, every Odell Beckham Jr. catch.
The piece also describes Eberflus’ famed exam that he hands out to prospective linebackers. Sean Lee famously missed only one of the 40 questions, a mark only ever achieved by one other player (Rolando McClain). Coach Flus is an extremely valuable asset.

It’s understandable that Eberflus would want to further his coaching career, which would invariably include the step up to defensive coordinator. If Rod Marinelli is maintained by Jason Garrett, it’s conceivable that Eberflus would take a promotion elsewhere if it was (and likely would be) offered.

The Cowboys defense started turning the corner in 2017, and Matt Eberflus was a big reason for that. Losing him could hurt the development of younger players, and the Cowboys are going to reach a fork in the road this offseason where a decision needs to be made.
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...-matt-eberflus

Note: You’d think a guy would have to be REALLY good to have a fan blog singing his praises as LB coach. How many fans even know the name of their LB coach off the top of their heads? I know I couldn’t tell you the name of the Colts LB coach and based off the Colts LB play, I’d certainly have a hard time making any sort of a case for whoever he is doing anything ever.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 PM

Speaking of bringing over guys, if we get McDaniels, I wouldn’t be surprised if he brings over Dion Lewis and Danny Amendola.

In much the same way that Pagano brought over Zbikowski and Grigson with Winston Justice/Mike McGlynn.

Only these guys don’t actually suck because McDaniels isn’t retarded.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
It doesn’t sound like McDaniels would be holding onto Monachino, either:

@RapSheet
One name to watch with #Patriots OC Josh McDaniels and his next destination (likely #Colts): #Cowboys LBs coach Matt Eberflus is his top choice as DC. Eberflus is a free agent.

For those unfamiliar with Eberflus (as I was), here’s a Cowboys fan blog raving about him:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...-matt-eberflus

Note: You’d think a guy would have to be REALLY good to have a fan blog singing his praises as LB coach. How many fans even know the name of their LB coach off the top of their heads? I know I couldn’t tell you the name of the Colts LB coach and based off the Colts LB play, I’d certainly have a hard time making any sort of a case for whoever he is doing anything ever.

Yea posted that just before you did. I see he's well respected but i really want a top established DC. Otherwise he better surround himself with the best of the best position coaches.

Dallas is a 4-3 D which would align with an article i posted a few weeks ago an out Ballard switching to a 4-3 D more like Seattle

The 4-3 defensive alignment is the most commonly used scheme in the National Football League. However, the Dallas Cowboys don't necessarily live by the strict definitions of that scheme. We know that the base defense calls for four down linemen and three linebackers. Yet, if we take a look at how the Cowboys have built their unit , they deploy somewhat of a hybrid-type similar to the Seattle Seahawks.

This his is interesting seeing what packages they use most

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2017...zone-defenses/
Racehorse (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Speaking of bringing over guys, if we get McDaniels, I wouldn’t be surprised if he brings over Dion Lewis and Danny Amendola.

In much the same way that Pagano brought over Zbikowski and Grigson with Winston Justice/Mike McGlynn.

I don't really want amendola. Would think finding a younger version would be the way to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Butter (01-14-2018), VeveJones007 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:

Soldier is a FA after this yr correct?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,124 Times in 638 Posts

He's the right guy still hard to stomach, but fuck it make it official already
Old 01-14-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Soldier is a FA after this yr correct?
Yep, would definitely have to see his medicals, but could definitely do worse than having two 2011 first round OT’s bookending either sides of the OL.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:44 PM

Thanked 4,362 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
He's the right guy still hard to stomach, but fuck it make it official already
I don't think they can, according to league rules. Hopefully, they will be able to do so in a week.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:07 PM

He wasn't my first choice but I'd be OK with McDaniels.

Whether it went well at first or not, he has head coaching experience that hopefully he has learned from

At least we can finally say goodbye to this crap offensive 'scheme', using that word loosely, we have seen for 5 years.

I'd be all for him bringing a FA RB with him from the Pats, someone to pair with Mack.

I'd prefer McDaniels over Vrabel as well.

I wonder how much influence Luck has had in the choice of McDaniels behind the scenes? If he has been unhappy, an offensive minded head coach to bring in a system that has worked great in NE certainly has to give him some confidence about real change and the future of the team.

And since its sort of on topic now since he may be the Colts coach, the titans and Mariota really crapped the bed in that playoff game.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:15 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
He wasn't my first choice but I'd be OK with McDaniels.

Whether it went well at first or not, he has head coaching experience that hopefully he has learned from

At least we can finally say goodbye to this crap offensive 'scheme', using that word loosely, we have seen for 5 years.

I'd be all for him bringing a FA RB with him from the Pats, someone to pair with Mack.

I'd prefer McDaniels over Vrabel as well.

I wonder how much influence Luck has had in the choice of McDaniels behind the scenes? If he has been unhappy, an offensive minded head coach to bring in a system that has worked great in NE certainly has to give him some confidence about real change and the future of the team.

And since its sort of on topic now since he may be the Colts coach, the titans and Mariota really crapped the bed in that playoff game.
Luck should have zero influence

As far as McDaniels, I am just happy it won't be pagano at this point.