ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-02-2023, 06:48 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Without an agreement on an extension it would make no sense for Colts. Perfect sense for 49ers though. I believe if he walks they are very likely to get a comp 3rd for him anyway. Surprised more competitive teams wouldn’t have rolled the dice there.
I agree. SF is in their window. We just lost the rookie QB that we're hoping is our franchise guy for the season.

I don't know who all looked at Young. I thought the word was he was playing well after injuries. Probably some combination of the past two injured seasons and the upcoming contract kept teams prudent.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:27 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I agree. SF is in their window. We just lost the rookie QB that we're hoping is our franchise guy for the season.

I don't know who all looked at Young. I thought the word was he was playing well after injuries. Probably some combination of the past two injured seasons and the upcoming contract kept teams prudent.
5 sacks in 7 games this season. He was injured the last 2 years, but I think the former #2 overall pick who was described as a more athletic Nick Bosa is still in there somewhere.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Spike;281425]Young is going to be an unrestricted free agent in March.

So why give up a 3rd round pick for a rental this year when it is apparent the Colts are not contenders.
Here's a novel idea, trade for him ,then try to sign him to an extension !! He would immediately become your best pass rusher, and he's only 24 yrs old!!
Old 11-03-2023, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE=njcoltfan;281514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Young is going to be an unrestricted free agent in March.

So why give up a 3rd round pick for a rental this year when it is apparent the Colts are not contenders.
Here's a novel idea, trade for him ,then try to sign him to an extension !! He would immediately become your best pass rusher, and he's only 24 yrs old!!
Orrrrrrr........just spitballing here.

Don't spend the 3rd round pick, let him play for SF on his rental year when they are a contender and then at the end of the season when they cannot afford him, sign him in the off season as a free agent!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (11-04-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=Ironshaft;281516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post

Don't spend the 3rd round pick, let him play for SF on his rental year when they are a contender and then at the end of the season when they cannot afford him, sign him in the off season as a free agent!!!
Great idea, but you know who our GM is right?? He will do neither !!!! Love them draft picks...........................................
Old 11-03-2023, 10:14 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
Great idea, but you know who our GM is right?? He will do neither !!!! Love them draft picks...........................................
DE is the one position he has spent money on in free agency. Granted, it's never been the type of contract it will take to get Chase Young, but his largest (and best) free agent contracts have gone to DEs.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:00 AM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post

The first article that pops up when you Google 49ers future cap space says they are projected to have $280m worth of salaries going into '24. The projected salary cap is $256m.

That's without Chase Young in the picture. If they decide they want him, where does that push the projection? North of $300m, right? And by the way, this is with them paying their QB $2m total for '24 and '25. That's the real monster contract around the corner.

Some trimming is coming for them.

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 11-03-2023 at 11:04 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (11-05-2023), Racehorse (11-03-2023), Spike (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 04:19 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
DE is the one position he has spent money on in free agency. Granted, it's never been the type of contract it will take to get Chase Young, but his largest (and best) free agent contracts have gone to DEs.
Agree that Young is someone we should look at in FA, but the only way he ends up here is if he either gets hurt or doesn't do much w/ the 9ers. Either of which would put him in mid level or 1 year show me contract range. If he stays healthy and continues to produce like he has for the first half w/ Wash then someone(s) will offer him a high end contract, and we all know that there's no way Ballard will do that.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 11-03-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:09 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I am not so sure Ballard would not offer a competitive contract to Young. Ballard has tried to find a pass rusher in the draft. He has spent big time draft capital. He understands that to win in this NFL you need to be able to get to the passer-his drafting says as much. For a stud pass rusher that could transform your defense he might be willing to pay. He hasn't been able to hit on one otherwise. My question is is Chase Young that stud pass rusher that you gamble somewhere over 23-25 million a year for?
Old 11-04-2023, 01:34 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Wonder what that contract would look like. Sweat went for a higher pick for a reason. Prove it year contract? Would that work or is there some team out there willing to blow the bank to sign him? Would anyone here support that?