ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts
Default The 2008 Colts vs. the 2021 Colts

o

In 2008, the Colts started the season at 3-4. Part of the reason for that slow start was because Peyton Manning was nursing a sore knee, which did not completely stop bothering him until mid-season.

Something that bothered me was the 7th game of that season, which was nationally televised on Monday Night, and was the last game that the Colts lost that season before the playoffs. The Colts were up by by score of 7-6 at halftime. In the first drive of the 2nd half, Manning promptly marched the team down the field for a touchdown, and a 14-6 lead. Then the defense made a stop, and it looked like the Colts were going to get the ball back ...... but on 3rd and long, the referees bailed the Titans out with a questionable pass interference call. Instead of the Colts getting the ball back with a 14-6 lead and all of the momentum, the Titans instead took advantage of that call and scored a TD with a 2-point conversion to tie the game at 14, then reeled off 17 more points to win the game handily. I really felt at the time the the Colts were robbed of a golden opportunity to get a stranglehold on the game because of that one crucial call. Instead, the loss dropped the Colts to 3-4 overall, with virtually no chance to catch the undefeated (7-0) Titans for the AFC South title.

Anyway, this current Colts team has also started the season at 3-4. Like that 2008 team, I believe that these Colts are better than their record would indicate, and subsequently I think that they will be back in the playoff hunt in December ...... just like that 2008 team was. I don't think that Carson Wentz is as good as Peyton Manning was, but he is a darned good quarterback who has the mobility that Manning never had. I also think that the 2008 team was better than this 2021 team is, but not by a lot. This upcoming game with the Titans is crucial, just like that game was against them back in October of 2008. One difference is that the Colts are playing this game at home, as opposed to the 2008 game which was played in Nashville. It's a potential season-saver/season-breaker for them ...... will they answer the call, or will they fall back into a nearly irrecoverable hole ???

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
NextManUp (10-29-2021), Racehorse (10-29-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 02:03 PM
Historian

o

(NOVEMBER 22nd)

The Colts still have multiple tough opponents left on their schedule, notably the New England Patriots ...... in fact, I think that the Patriots will be tougher to beat than the Cardinals, whom we also have to play. Belichick is looking to avenge himself without Brady, especially after last season's COVID-affected season in which he not only lost his starting quarterback for one game, but also probably had him still feeling the affects of the virus for 2 additional games after he came back. He's probably looking to prove that the Patriots' 11-5 record with Matt Cassel at quarterback in 2008 was not an anomaly.

All of that said, the Colts have unquestionably show a certain amount of redemption by going 6-2 over their last 8 games since their 0-3 start to the season ...... and if our starting kicker were not injured, they would have been 7-1 in those games because Rodrigo Blankenship probably would have made the 47-yard field goal attempt that our punter barely missed on the last play of regulation against the Ravens.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (11-22-2021), Racehorse (11-23-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 03:49 PM

Thanked 2,665 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

(NOVEMBER 22nd)

and if our starting kicker were not injured, they would have been 7-1 in those games because Rodrigo Blankenship probably would have made the 47-yard field goal attempt that our punter barely missed on the last play of regulation against the Ravens.

o

Blankenship missed that field goal against the Ravens, not Sanchez.

Sanchez never officially had a FG attempt in that game. He was going to make an attempt at the end of the first half but the Ravens were flagged for a penalty so that attempt was erased from the books. Blankenship then replaced Sanchez and attempted the field goal at that point (and made it) and then performed all the other PK duties in that game.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 03:58 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post

Blankenship missed that field goal against the Ravens, not Sanchez.

Sanchez never officially had a FG attempt in that game. He was going to make an attempt at the end of the first half but the Ravens were flagged for a penalty so that attempt was erased from the books. Blankenship then replaced Sanchez and attempted the field goal at that point (and made it) and then performed all the other PK duties in that game.

o

Thanks, my bad ...... I guess my memory got a little confused by the punter coming in and missing earlier in the game, and then Blankenship coming back into the game during the same play/sequence and making it after the penalty was assessed.

Still, I think that a healthy Blankenship would not have missed that field goal attempt which (if made) would have won the game in regulation.

o

The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 06:27 PM

I believe Wentz is becoming a Colt and not an Eagles’ castoff. His nerves just seem more subdued. Maybe it’s the line, but I think it’s him becoming more at ease. Shame we had to wait on two great qbs to gel two years in a row.
The Following User Says Thank You to Discflinger For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-23-2021)
Old 11-22-2021, 06:56 PM

Thanked 1,572 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discflinger View Post
I believe Wentz is becoming a Colt and not an Eagles’ castoff. His nerves just seem more subdued. Maybe it’s the line, but I think it’s him becoming more at ease. Shame we had to wait on two great qbs to gel two years in a row.
100%

The good news is that unless disaster strikes, Wentz will be the QB next year with much better rapport from day one.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 02:37 AM

No, the good news is that he is totally bought in and feels that it is his team. That’s what I am saying. HE IS A COLT!

Umm…if I could take back the twelver…there is no way he devolves. HE IS A COLT!

Last edited by Discflinger; 11-23-2021 at 02:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:34 AM
Historian

o

(NOVEMBER 29th)

If the Colts win at least 4 out of their final 5 games to finish at either 10-7 or 11-6, I'll be thrilled.

If they don't, I'll be hoping that they will follow a similar route as the 2020 and 2021 Patriots ...... last year, the Patriots looked average-ish while playing out a league-wide COVID-affected season in which the pandemic played a part in hampering their starting quarterback in as many as 3 of their games (all of which were losses.) It was also their first season without all-time great QB Tom Brady. Now, after having had a year to adjust to life without Brady, the Patriots are an AFC juggernaut with a very real chance to win the AFC championship and make their first Tom Brady-less Super Bowl appearance since Bill Parcells and Drew Bledsoe led them there in 1996.

So perhaps the 2022 Colts, after having had Carson Wentz with a year of experience under his belt with his new team, will wind up looking a lot like the 2021 Patriots are looking.

o

Old 12-07-2021, 02:07 PM
Historian

Quote:
o

(NOVEMBER 22nd)

The Colts still have multiple tough opponents left on their schedule, notably the New England Patriots ...... in fact, I think that the Patriots will be tougher to beat than the Cardinals, whom we also have to play. Belichick is looking to avenge himself without Brady, especially after last season's COVID-affected season in which he not only lost his starting quarterback for one game, but also probably had him still feeling the affects of the virus for 2 additional games after he came back. He's probably looking to prove that the Patriots' 11-5 record with Matt Cassel at quarterback in 2008 was not an anomaly.

All of that said, the Colts have unquestionably show a certain amount of redemption by going 6-2 over their last 8 games since their near-fatal 0-3 start to the season ...... and if our starting kicker were not injured, they would have been 7-1 in those games because Rodrigo Blankenship probably would have made the 47-yard field goal attempt that our punter barely missed on the last play of regulation against the Ravens.

o
o

No Need to Pump the Brakes on the Patriots ...... They’re for Real

(By Karen Kuregian)

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/12...eyre-for-real/

o

Old 01-09-2022, 07:28 PM
Historian

Quote:
o

In 2008, the Colts started the season at 3-4. Part of the reason for that slow start was because Peyton Manning was nursing a sore knee, which did not completely stop bothering him until mid-season.

Something that bothered me was the 7th game of that season, which was nationally televised on Monday Night, and was the last game that the Colts lost that season before the playoffs. The Colts were up by by score of 7-6 at halftime. In the first drive of the 2nd half, Manning promptly marched the team down the field for a touchdown, and a 14-6 lead. Then the defense made a stop, and it looked like the Colts were going to get the ball back ...... but on 3rd and long, the referees bailed the Titans out with a questionable pass interference call. Instead of the Colts getting the ball back with a 14-6 lead and all of the momentum, the Titans instead took advantage of that call and scored a TD with a 2-point conversion to tie the game at 14, then reeled off 17 more points to win the game handily. I really felt at the time the the Colts were robbed of a golden opportunity to get a stranglehold on the game because of that one crucial call. Instead, the loss dropped the Colts to 3-4 overall, with virtually no chance to catch the undefeated (7-0) Titans for the AFC South title.

Anyway, this current Colts team has also started the season at 3-4. Like that 2008 team, I believe that these Colts are better than their record would indicate, and subsequently I think that they will be back in the playoff hunt in December ...... just like that 2008 team was. I don't think that Carson Wentz is as good as Peyton Manning was, but he is a darned good quarterback who has the mobility that Manning never had. I also think that the 2008 team was better than this 2021 team is, but not by a lot. This upcoming game with the Titans is crucial, just like that game was against them back in October of 2008. One difference is that the Colts are playing this game at home, as opposed to the 2008 game which was played in Nashville. It's a potential season-saver/season-breaker for them ...... will they answer the call, or will they fall back into a nearly irrecoverable hole ???

o
o

8 days ago, this thread was looking really good ...... unfortunately, in that 8-day span it wound up being deposited in the garbage.

o