ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-13-2023, 01:00 PM

Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
So remove Brady and Belicheat from the record books and ban them for life, proving you actually care about the integrity of the game, or stop pretending you care about the integrity of the game with these gambling suspensions. Of course, spineless coward Goodell will do neither, because this is more about PR and image than it is about protecting the integrity of the game.

Of course, the NFL and Goodell are saying that Tommy Cheater is a role model for everyone to follow. The Cheater recorded a video that will be shown to all players to educate themselves about gambling.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mbling-policy/

Quote:
NFL enlists Tom Brady to help educate players on gambling policy

The NFL needs to get players to understand the do’s and don’ts of its gambling policy. To help spread the message, the Shield has enlisted the GOAT.

Via Mike Klis of 9News.com, Tom Brady taped an introduction to the league’s educational video regarding the gambling policy. It will be shown to all players.

In the video, Brady reportedly addresses his love for football, and he explains that playing in the NFL was a privilege of a lifetime. He says that betting on NFL games impairs the integrity of the league and the reputation of everyone on a given team — and that it’s just not worth it.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 06-13-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 01:34 PM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
Wow, I am really in the minority here (maybe criticizing my position should now be considered Cletusphobia), because I don't think Pete Rose should have been banned for life, and I think the height of hypocrisy is the NFL showing no compassion for a kid that has a gambling addiction when the are raking in millions from allowing gambling on their games!

By the way, I believe betting on MLB was illegal when Pete Rose bet on it so that is a little different than the current NFL! Pete originally said he never bet on the Reds, then they dangled the possibility that if he admitted to gambling on the Reds they would let him into the HoF, so he did (true or not) and they used his confession to ban him forever!
I tend to agree with you. I can't look at all betting under the same blanket. An Isaiah Rodgers $50 bet isn't the same as Tim Donaghy directly manipulating games and earning hundreds of thousands from people making even more than that on those games.

Even bets involving your own team... I always saw a notable difference with betting on your team as opposed to betting against your team.

But if you're worried about a slippery slope, easiest thing to do is outlaw it completely. It's just an absolute mixed signal when every fucking pre-roll on a video, every ad banner on a website, every single commercial break for the NFL is shoving this shit in everyone's face, telling you what a great time it is and glorifying it with famous actors and the Manning family.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (06-13-2023), CletusPyle (06-13-2023), JAFF (06-14-2023), Racehorse (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 02:05 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote:
Wow, I am really in the minority here (maybe criticizing my position should now be considered Cletusphobia), because I don't think Pete Rose should have been banned for life, and I think the height of hypocrisy is the NFL showing no compassion for a kid that has a gambling addiction when the are raking in millions from allowing gambling on their games!

By the way, I believe betting on MLB was illegal when Pete Rose bet on it so that is a little different than the current NFL! Pete originally said he never bet on the Reds, then they dangled the possibility that if he admitted to gambling on the Reds they would let him into the HoF, so he did (true or not) and they used his confession to ban him forever!
o

Pete Rose was banned forever in the first place. He got a lifetime ban in 1989, which he agreed to. The Ban was appealable after 2 years, but Rose never had a leg to stand on to be granted a reprieve of that ban, because he was undeniably guilty of everything that he was accused of. And he has done nothing but lie about what he did ever since. He vehemently denied betting on Reds games for years before admitting the truth.

A narcissistic egomaniac like Rose would never admit to something that he did not do, for any reason ...... quite the opposite is true about him, that he denied things that he did do for years before finally admitting that he was guilty of everything that he was accused of in the first place when faced with insurmountable evidence of his deeds.

Also, Rose's situation was the quintessential opposite of what happened with Buck Weaver and Shoeless Joe Jackson when they played for the White Sox in 1919 and 1920. Those players had no rights whatsoever ...... no right to free agency, no right to arbitration, no right to appeal a ruling by the commissioner, etc. Rose, on the other hand, had all of the benefits that those players never had ...... the strongest union in all of professional sports, free agency for the last 11 years of his career, arbitration for the last 15 years of his career, and lawyers and representatives that uneducated players from 100 years ago could only dream about.

Rose bet on games that he was playing in, and managing in, and as previously stated, had all of the luxuries that Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver never had. Jackson did everything that he possibly could to not participate in the fixed 1919 World Series (including reporting the entire situation to the team owner prior to the start of the series, trying to give the team owner the money that was given to him that he didn't ask for in the first place, and telling his manager that he didn't want to play at all in the series before the manager coerced him into playing.) Buck Weaver specifically asked for a separate trial (and was denied) from the other accused players because he wanted nothing to do with the fix from the get-go, and never took a dime from the $80,000 that exchanged hands between the gamblers and the other 6 players who were involved in the fix.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 06-13-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 05:06 PM

Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Pete Rose was banned forever in the first place. He got a lifetime ban in 1989, which he agreed to. The Ban was appealable after 2 years, but Rose never had a leg to stand on to be granted a reprieve of that ban, because he was undeniably guilty of everything that he was accused of. And he has done nothing but lie about what he did ever since. He vehemently denied betting on Reds games for years before admitting the truth.

A narcissistic egomaniac like Rose would never admit to something that he did not do, for any reason ...... quite the opposite is true about him, that he denied things that he did do for years before finally admitting that he was guilty of everything that he was accused of in the first place when faced with insurmountable evidence of his deeds.

Also, Rose's situation was the quintessential opposite of what happened with Buck Weaver and Shoeless Joe Jackson when they played for the White Sox in 1919 and 1920. Those players had no rights whatsoever ...... no right to free agency, no right to arbitration, no right to appeal a ruling by the commissioner, etc. Rose, on the other hand, had all of the benefits that those players never had ...... the strongest union in all of professional sports, free agency for the last 11 years of his career, arbitration for the last 15 years of his career, and lawyers and representatives that uneducated players from 100 years ago could only dream about.

Rose bet on games that he was playing in, and managing in, and as previously stated, had all of the luxuries that Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver never had. Jackson did everything that he possibly could to not participate in the fixed 1919 World Series (including reporting the entire situation to the team owner prior to the start of the series, trying to give the team owner the money that was given to him that he didn't ask for in the first place, and telling his manager that he didn't want to play at all in the series before the manager coerced him into playing.) Buck Weaver specifically asked for a separate trial (and was denied) from the other accused players because he wanted nothing to do with the fix from the get-go, and never took a dime from the $80,000 that exchanged hands between the gamblers and the other 6 players who were involved in the fix.

o
I think you can hate Rose and think the worse of him and still have compassion for Rodgers for all the reasons that myself and others have pointed out! As far Rose's ban goes, I don't remember if it was Faye Vincent or Bud Selig, but one of them said that their main problem with reinstating Rose was that he had never admitted to betting on baseball, and they clearly implied that if he was to do so it would certainly open the door to his possible reinstatement. Then when he did at least say what they wanted to hear, they basically just used it to beat him over the head with it and used it to justify the ban already in place!

I found their behavior dishonest and cruel...if you had no intention of seriously considering reinstatement, just move on instead of manipulating the guy into admitting to something just to make you feel powerful and justify your actions!

I think you may be a CletusPhobe!

Last edited by CletusPyle; 06-13-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Of course, the NFL and Goodell are saying that Tommy Cheater is a role model for everyone to follow. The Cheater recorded a video that will be shown to all players to educate themselves about gambling.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mbling-policy/
I would say that I'm shocked at the sheer audacity of Tom Brady, but I'm not. He's a lying, cheating hypocrite through and through.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 07:51 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Betting for an NFL player is a hard fast rule. No wiggle room. To bad but it is what it is.

Whataboutism with Brady seems misplaced. He never bet on football. Betting almost took down one professional league in this country. When it happened people vowed to never let it happen again. Fair or not there hasn't been a hint of this (player gambling and throwing a game) in pro sports since then. Maybe coincidence but if I am in charge of a multi billion dollar business why chance it. It has become the third rail in pro sports.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:19 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,289 Times in 2,029 Posts

Quote:

I think you can hate Rose and think the worse of him and still have compassion for Rodgers for all the reasons that myself and others have pointed out !!!

o

I do have compassion for Rodgers, and and even forgiveness.

These are portions of 2 of my previous posts in this thread ......

o

Quote:
o

All of that said, at least Rodgers had the brains to immediately confess to what he did when confronted about it, and not do a Pete Rose act of continually denying it and lying about it ...... admit that you made a mistake, throw yourself at the mercy of the court (the NFL commissioner and its league officials), and be grateful that they will very likely allow you to play again after missing one full year.

o

Quote:
o

As a fan, I forgive the guy, and I would not mind seeing him return to play for the Colts after serving a one-year suspension ...... but man, this is a quintessential example of being young and stupid.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 06-13-2023 at 09:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 09:29 PM

Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,559 Posts

Quote:
o

I do have compassion for Rodgers, and and even forgiveness.

These are portions of 2 of my previous posts in this thread ......

o
Sorry, I see that now, not sure how I missed that? I think you are spot on, one year out and then provided he gets some help and shows the proper remorse for his actions he is reinstated. And personally, if that is what happens I hope the Colts give him another chance too!

Last edited by CletusPyle; 06-13-2023 at 10:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CletusPyle For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 10:17 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Betting for an NFL player is a hard fast rule. No wiggle room. To bad but it is what it is.

Whataboutism with Brady seems misplaced. He never bet on football. Betting almost took down one professional league in this country. When it happened people vowed to never let it happen again. Fair or not there hasn't been a hint of this (player gambling and throwing a game) in pro sports since then. Maybe coincidence but if I am in charge of a multi billion dollar business why chance it. It has become the third rail in pro sports.
Misplaced? Isn't the whole point of stopping athletes from betting on games to protect the integrity of the game? What's the difference to the integrity of the game if someone cheats to win money for themselves or cheats to win championships for themselves? Is the integrity of the game not ruined in both scenarios?
Old 06-14-2023, 08:33 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Misplaced? Isn't the whole point of stopping athletes from betting on games to protect the integrity of the game? What's the difference to the integrity of the game if someone cheats to win money for themselves or cheats to win championships for themselves? Is the integrity of the game not ruined in both scenarios?
Exactly.

The rule is draconian for a reason. There can be no room for lawyers to find a way to make exceptions, and create a path to gamble and stay in the league. Just more $$$ and time wasted away from the game.