ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-13-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I think Hankins is NFL average and that he is not a true 3-4 0-tech NT.

He is the 4-3 defense 1/2-tech NT that the Giants run. He is more used to being a 1-gap shooter rather than being a 2-gap "stuffer." I think he could fit into a Colts defense well that is in serious need of "SOMEONE" at NT but I don't know that he is a great fit.

Bennie Logan from PHI is also a solid choice for the Colts. He is also a 4-3 defense, 1/2-tech NT that saw some 0-tech NT work this year as PHI ran a bit of a hybrid defense.

Nabbing one of those two guys and then pairing him with a mid-round draft choice rookie would help stabilize our NT spot. Most of the following guys should be available in the 4th or 5th rounds:

Dalvin Tomlinson, Alabama
Elijah Qualls, Washington
Vincent Taylor, Oklahoma State
Eddie Vanderdoes, UCLA
DeAngelo Brown, Louisville

DeAngelo Brown is the one that really intrigues me.

I am sure that you can find a lot of positive comments about all the kids that are draftable this year. But I like what I read and see on video about Brown.

Cheers,
None of those guys are true NTs.

Elijah Qualls who has seen time at NT, has sh*tty work ethic and has the build of a 3 tech.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM

@FalconsKelsey
Dontari Poe is scheduled to visit the #Falcons in the next 24 hours
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natagu23 View Post
None of those guys are true NTs.

Elijah Qualls who has seen time at NT, has sh*tty work ethic and has the build of a 3 tech.
Hmmm....that will teach me to grab a list of guys off of Walter Football without checking it over.

You are right, none of the guys on that list played NT in a 3-4 defense with the exception of DeAngelo Brown of Louisville.

Their school depth chart and the video I saw had them in a 3-4 alignment with Brown in the middle on every down I saw.

Back to the drawing board for more options. I still like Brown, however.

Cheers,
Old 03-13-2017, 02:14 PM

@pfrumors 38s39 seconds ago
Colts To Meet With LB Kevin Minter http://www.profootballrumors.com/201...b-kevin-minter
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
@pfrumors 38s39 seconds ago
Colts To Meet With LB Kevin Minter http://www.profootballrumors.com/201...b-kevin-minter
Solid article by ESPN on Minter
Quote:
TEMPE, Ariz. – Talk about peaking at the right time.

Arizona Cardinals inside linebacker Kevin Minter is coming off the best season of his four-year career, just in time for free agency. He finished the 2016 season with 81 tackles, a career-high 3.5 sacks, two pass breakups and a career-high 5.5 disrupted dropbacks, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But it was his development as the defense's signal-caller that improved the most since 2013.

“It was just a lot of learning and growing,” Minter said. “Middle linebacker position, you’re the quarterback [of the defense], and like any quarterback you got to learn and develop because you pretty much got to know what everybody’s doing. You got to know, not only your job, but everybody else’s. You got to line everybody up. You got to know all the checks. You got to kind of anticipate what the offense is doing.”

It took Minter years to get to that point, but he’s finally there.

As a rookie in 2013, he learned under Karlos Dansby. In Year 2, he was mentored by Larry Foote. He assumed the starting job in 2015 and blossomed in his role last season, which has allowed him to enter free agency on a career upswing.

“It took me a while to just get stuff down to where I can really be a caller out there, a real leader out there,” Minter said. “I’ll definitely say it’s an upswing. It’s a hell of an upswing.

“Rookie year, my head was swimming, everything was just super fast. And now everything has slowed down. I’m really into this game, so 'upswing' is definitely an understatement.”

Minter would like to continue his upswing in Arizona.

“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “They groomed me. I’m comfortable here. I love the people here. Really love the community. I would love to be here but it’s not up to me. I’m just going to control what I can control.”

And that’s not free agency. Like the other Cardinals in the 2013 draft class, Minter is experiencing free agency for the first time.

“I’m not necessarily sure how to feel about it,” he said. “I don’t know. It’s a little anxiousness. A little nervousness. Kind of both though. I’m 50/50 on it. I’ve never been in this situation. I’m kinda curious to see how it’s going to play out.”
He is not as good in coverage as I think Hightower, Brown or Hodges would be but he knows the 3-4 defense, could be our defensive QB and would be a good, solid veteran.

He would add stability in the middle and, again, would add another NFL average/good piece to the defense that more and more allows us to pick defensive BPA in each round of the draft.

Cheers,
Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Solid article by ESPN on Minter

He is not as good in coverage as I think Hightower, Brown or Hodges would be but he knows the 3-4 defense, could be our defensive QB and would be a good, solid veteran.

He would add stability in the middle and, again, would add another NFL average/good piece to the defense that more and more allows us to pick defensive BPA in each round of the draft.

Cheers,
With the huge hole we have at LB, why not go after the best in Brown?

This team can legitimately compete for the AFC South crown and more if we get good pieces in free agency and a solid draft.

Re-tool. Yes.

Rebuild. No. Grigson f**ked us but not that bad
Old 03-13-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natagu23 View Post
With the huge hole we have at LB, why not go after the best in Brown?

This team can legitimately compete for the AFC South crown and more if we get good pieces in free agency and a solid draft.

Re-tool. Yes.

Rebuild. No. Grigson f**ked us but not that bad
While it's easy to nitpick every move that Ballard is making (or isn't), we only see a little bit of what is going on.

Perhaps we can't see the forest for the trees so to speak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wyatt For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-13-2017), sherck (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:59 PM

While I prefer Brown or Hodges, I will trust Ballard until he shows that he should not be trusted.

So far, he is doing fine.

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
edgeman (03-13-2017), Puck (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:23 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
While it's easy to nitpick every move that Ballard is making (or isn't), we only see a little bit of what is going on.

Perhaps we can't see the forest for the trees so to speak.
what are you talking about!? the members on this board know far more than NFL front office guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 PM

@AdamSchefter 56s56 seconds ago
To fill expected void, Chiefs and former Eagles DT Bennie Logan reach agreement on 1-year deal, per source. Looks like Dontari Poe moves on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyatt For This Useful Post:
sherck (03-13-2017)