ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Whatever, it's one year and we have money to burn. If he sucks he is gone with no commitment. If he blows up we look smart and either resign him or he leaves making more money and Luck looks more attractive to other FA WRs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (03-11-2019), sherck (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Funchess is still not anywhere near Alshon's level when he's healthy, so that comparison is silly.

I'm fine with the signing though. See what desire he has to show off his skills to earn another contract. We aren't committed to him long term if he doesn't work out.
Did we need to pay $13 million to find that out? Who was Ballard bidding against?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
If he blows up we look smart and either resign him or he leaves making more money and Luck looks more attractive to other FA WRs.
Not to mention a good comp pick
Chromeburn (03-11-2019), Racehorse (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Did we need to pay $13 million to find that out? Who was Ballard bidding against?
Someone else said it was $10 million.

Someone described Ballard and his staff as the avengers of scouting. I'll trust them to see what he can bring to the team.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:06 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Someone else said it was $10 million.

Someone described Ballard and his staff as the avengers of scouting. I'll trust them to see what he can bring to the team.
He may play well, I hope he does. But he hasn’t done anything to deserve a shot at making $13 million in one season.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
How about my last question, Mr. Ebron’s Signing is “Meh?”
Ok, ok you got me. I said Ebron was a meh signing. Of course the context is shown where I clarified that the Ebron signing itself was fine but I had issues with Ballard’s overall approach. But regardless you “got” me - I wasn’t sufficiently giddy about the Ebron signing. I’m sure if I look at all of your posts I won’t find an instance of you being more wrong than not being sufficiently happy, correct?

It’s funny you didn’t highlight my comments on the Grant signing. The one that is most applicable to this signing considering it’s the same position. And the exact same hole left by Ballard’s lack of a acquiring a long term solution last year. And one that severely hurt the team in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Understood about Ballard, that’s why I referenced the Hankins contract. That makes sense for a rebuilding team. A one year prove it deal to me does not. I see few scenarios where Grant is on the roster after this year. If he doesn’t excel he’s obviously not resigned. If he does excel he is going to want to cash in and I don’t see the Colts being the highest bidder. Most likely what happens is he is a serviceable player that doesn’t break out but fits a role. And that mirrors this year where he obviously wants a bigger longer term deal than the Colts are willing to commit to him. I don’t see that changing.

I just see this as likely a lose lose scenario for the Colts. I will be extremely surprised if Grant plays at an exact level where both he and the Colts agree on his value next year. The vast majority of one year signings I can think of are always just that - one year signings. And that’s regardless of player performance. I’d have rather they over paid him to buy a couple team option years. And if they tried and he wasn’t open to it then that tells me doesn’t see a future with the team anyway. He’s a one year roster body. He knows it and so do the Colts. No real risk for the Colts, but I don’t really see much reward either. I’ll happily admit I’m wrong if he breaks out and the Colts resign him.

I’m not upset about the signing, I just see it as an extension of the long slow roster building Ballard is planning. Grant is a body to hold a spot for an eventual draft pick. That’s all.
Swap Funches name for Grant’s and I stand by my comments.

As to your question I apparently didn’t address - I’m not complaining about there physical make up. I’d agree that physically Funches fits what I’d prefer opposite TY much more than Grant did. But he was still an underwhelming receiver his previous seasons. And yes I get that your comparison to Ebron is likely related to that. But that’s not my issue. I’ll use the Ebron signing to highlight my issue. Let’s pretend that Ebron signed the one year contract you are perfectly happy with and had the same year he had. Seeing the money being thrown around in free agency are you 100% confident that Ballard would have paid what was necessary to keep Ebron? Would you and Ballard be confident in making Ebron one of the highest, if not the highest, paid TE in the league? After one great season in a contract year following being labeled a bust? I don’t see it for you or for Chaka. I’d bet you both would pass. Hell I probably would too. That’s the issue and that’s why I have an issue with this contract. I’m not getting into Funches abilities as much as I’m saying there is very very little room for him to be the long term solution in Indy. If he’s Grant, he’s gone. If he’s Ebron, he’s gone. That’s the issue. Whether he’s 6’10” and Grant was 5’2” it’s irrelevant to my issue.

Last edited by rm1369; 03-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:20 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
He may play well, I hope he does. But he hasn’t done anything to deserve a shot at making $13 million in one season.
Well he's getting the chance, so let's see what he does with it.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
I had a feeling we would see some bloated contracts. But it isn’t terrible.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:32 PM

Thanked 1,123 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
i agree but it's $10 million $13 million max.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Grant in 2017 With WAS: 45 catches, 573 yards, 4 TD

Funchess in 2018 with CAR: 44 catches, 549 yards, 4 TD

Luck is better than Cam, I believe his numbers will be better with him. If not, fuck it, it's only one year.

Last edited by Spike; 03-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-12-2019)