ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-27-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Because they know they have the pieces in place. Good rookie QB on a rookie contract. We don’t have that. Why sell the farm when we don’t have the QB position settled?

Irsay wanted them to compete. Reich didn’t want to go a young QB, otherwise they might have gone after Fields. He built the oline up, then Luck retired. He’s built the defense into a good unit. But until we get QB settled, he’s not going to go all out for a SB and not should he. Cart before the horse notion.
Then don’t go the vet QB route. If you didn’t think you could compete with Rivers, Wentz, or Ryan then they had no business acquiring them. If they thought they could win with them then they had no business treating the rest of the roster like it was a developmental year.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Grigson is what most GMs are. People tend to forget shitty GMing. And I’ll fucking bring up whatever the fuck I want.
Not a single fucking person here has forgot Grigson.

I notice you’ve replied to a lot of my comments but not the one asking for some kind of bench mark for Ballard. When would Ballard ever be a failure for you? Year 10 with no playoff win? Year 12? Or as long as he’s “not Grigson” will you defend him and his philosophy?
Old 02-27-2023, 09:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Then don’t go the vet QB route. If you didn’t think you could compete with Rivers, Wentz, or Ryan then they had no business acquiring them. If they thought they could win with them then they had no business treating the rest of the roster like it was a developmental year.
Then wtf are they supposed to do then. Tank the season? Tell the players “hey I know you want to win, but nah.” They made logical decisions, it mostly didn’t work out. They made the playoffs with Rivers. They almost did with a limping Wentz. It’s not like they sold their future for Russel Wilson. They said what they were trying to do. Find an Alex Smith to compete with till they could draft a QB they liked.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Then wtf are they supposed to do then. Tank the season? Tell the players “hey I know you want to win, but nah.” They made logical decisions, it mostly didn’t work out. They made the playoffs with Rivers. They almost did with a limping Wentz. It’s not like they sold their future for Russel Wilson. They said what they were trying to do. Find an Alex Smith to compete with till they could draft a QB they liked.
Isn’t tanking the season what they did to get in position to get a QB? Why is it acceptable in year 6 but not year 4 or 5? I’m constantly told they’ve had no shot at a QB because they weren’t bad enough. Yet they weren’t good enough for their GM to make a push. Seems like a terrible place to be for 3 seasons.

Yes they made the playoffs with Rivers and almost did with Wentz. Imagine if Ballard had done more with the rest of the roster. Ballard may have more than one playoff win in 6 years.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:43 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Not a single fucking person here has forgot Grigson.

I notice you’ve replied to a lot of my comments but not the one asking for some kind of bench mark for Ballard. When would Ballard ever be a failure for you? Year 10 with no playoff win? Year 12? Or as long as he’s “not Grigson” will you defend him and his philosophy?
I really don’t care if you forgot him or not. I’ll bring him up if I think it’s relevant.

My benchmark, when he starts failing in the draft. When he starts getting bad talent. It’s one of the hardest things to do. Some guys have just by-passed it altogether like Les Snead and now the team is hurting bc of it. Or you suck at it and need FA to compensate like Grigson did. Everyone sings the praises of Lynch in San Fran, but since the 2016 off-season the 49’ers have picked in the top ten of the draft 5 out of 7 times. Duke Tobin did little before Burrow. Keim in Arizona still has a job since 2013. Barely hear about some of these average GMs around the league some with longer tenures but suddenly our fanbase can’t shut up about it.

The other is multiple losing seasons in a row unless they are breaking in a young QB and building for a better future.

Basically on his results concerning the roster.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I really don’t care if you forgot him or not. I’ll bring him up if I think it’s relevant.

My benchmark, when he starts failing in the draft. When he starts getting bad talent. It’s one of the hardest things to do. Some guys have just by-passed it altogether like Les Snead and now the team is hurting bc of it. Or you suck at it and need FA to compensate like Grigson did. Everyone sings the praises of Lynch in San Fran, but since the 2016 off-season the 49’ers have picked in the top ten of the draft 5 out of 7 times. Duke Tobin did little before Burrow. Keim in Arizona still has a job since 2013. Barely hear about some of these average GMs around the league some with longer tenures but suddenly our fanbase can’t shut up about it.

The other is multiple losing seasons in a row unless they are breaking in a young QB and building for a better future.

Basically on his results concerning the roster.
Kind of like the Pacers that you told me to quit bringing up? Gotcha.

Makes sense, it sounds about right. Ballard is not held accountable to actual results, he just has to be not Grigson. As long as he drafts ok the actual results of the TEAM he assembles doesn’t really matter. It explains a lot.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:54 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Isn’t tanking the season what they did to get in position to get a QB? Why is it acceptable in year 6 but not year 4 or 5? I’m constantly told they’ve had no shot at a QB because they weren’t bad enough. Yet they weren’t good enough for their GM to make a push. Seems like a terrible place to be for 3 seasons.

Yes they made the playoffs with Rivers and almost did with Wentz. Imagine if Ballard had done more with the rest of the roster. Ballard may have more than one playoff win in 6 years.
Because tanking gets people fired. Players don’t want to do it, coaches don’t want to do it. They didn’t want to do it this year. It took the owner having to take control and sabotage the situation to make it happen. And I’m only half convinced he didn’t do it on purpose. Yeah that’s what happens when you are middle of the pack. Not good enough to win it all, not bad enough to get a top QB.

How pissed would you have been if they sold out to win it all with Carson? You would have been on here complaining that they put the team in cap hell and didn’t even know if the QB was good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (03-01-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 09:57 PM
Post whore

Quote:

Makes sense, it sounds about right. Ballard is not held accountable to actual results, he just has to be not Grigson. As long as he drafts ok the actual results of the TEAM he assembles doesn’t really matter. It explains a lot.
I don’t care if you bring up the pacers.

Yeah sounds like you just want the perfect GM, let me know when you find him.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:06 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:

Find a GM in the NFL better at using draft capital to acquire talent. I'll wait.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Butter (02-28-2023), Racehorse (03-01-2023), YDFL Commish (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I don’t care if you bring up the pacers.

Yeah sounds like you just want the perfect GM, let me know when you find him.
Judging a GM by how his team performs is wanting a perfect GM? You are fucking retarded.